Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior detailing question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I just took delivery of my new M3P (Red) last week, and I'm working on my detail protocol for her. I'm scheduled to have PPF installed on July 15th, so I won't be driving her much in advance of that. It's torturous looking at her in my garage without being able to drive her, but it's for the best. :)

I've decided not to perform a full-on paint correction at the suggestion of my detail shop. They looked at the paint and said it's pretty solid as-is. They treat the paint before installing the PPF, and recommended not doing any buffing. It's a high end shop, so I appreciated their honesty there.

As neurotic as I sound about my paint, I'm actually not obsessive once the precautions (PPF) are taken. I'll occasionally clay bar, and use a moderately priced ceramic spray like Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions on the non-PPF areas. My question is, what product can I apply to the PPF to help extend the life? I just read that it's not recommended to use ceramic / detail sprays on the PPF.

Thanks!

Reactions: GeoG
Hi everyone. I just took delivery of my new M3P (Red) last week, and I'm working on my detail protocol for her. I'm scheduled to have PPF installed on July 15th, so I won't be driving her much in advance of that. It's torturous looking at her in my garage without being able to drive her, but it's for the best. :)

I've decided not to perform a full-on paint correction at the suggestion of my detail shop. They looked at the paint and said it's pretty solid as-is. They treat the paint before installing the PPF, and recommended not doing any buffing. It's a high end shop, so I appreciated their honesty there.

As neurotic as I sound about my paint, I'm actually not obsessive once the precautions (PPF) are taken. I'll occasionally clay bar, and use a moderately priced ceramic spray like Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions on the non-PPF areas. My question is, what product can I apply to the PPF to help extend the life? I just read that it's not recommended to use ceramic / detail sprays on the PPF.

Thanks!
Give the P&S Bead Maker a try as your drying agent. For the price, just get a gallon. You can’t go wrong.

I suggest you check with the manufacturer of your PPF for specific care instructions. I can only speak to how to care for Xpel PPF since that it is what I have and know.

Here is a quote from the FAQ section of the Xpel website (see below). You want to make sure whatever wax or sealant you use does not contain Naphtha, Kerosene, or other petroleum distillates in concentrations greater than 5%. Personally, I would just choose a wax or sealant that doesn't contain any of these chemicals. I believe the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Sealant mentioned by the OP is safe for PPF.

As others have mentioned, ceramic sprays and coatings are perfectly safe to apply to PPF, assuming they do not contain any Naphtha, kerosene, or other petroleum distillates.

From the Xpel website:

"While you can wax the film, be sure the product you are using doesn’t contain Naphtha or Kerosene in concentrations over 5%, and avoid waxes that contain dyes. For best results, we recommend using our XPEL Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Sealant or XPEL Ceramic Boost. This product has been specially formulated for use with polyurethane paint protection films to provide the maximum protection and gloss, while containing no ingredients that would cause discoloration over time."