Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior door handles are climate controlled!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was testing the app for android. and The friggin exterior door handles blow air out of them when you use the climate control!!
This is insanely cool for people who have icing problems. What an amazing car! I'm blown away by the thought that went into some of the cool little things

..and the app is pretty sick :tongue:
..track your car using your phone. destination to your car when you 'lose it' haha
pre-warm it, honk the horn (neighbors must hate me )

Last edited:
I was testing the app for android. and The friggin exterior door handles blow air out of them when you use the climate control!!
This is insanely cool for people who have icing problems. What an amazing car! I'm blown away by the thought that went into some of the cool little things

..and the app is pretty sick :tongue:
..track your car using your phone. destination to your car when you 'lose it' haha

All I saw was "app". Haha. That is cool though. Great to know since I couldn't roll my window down today because it was froze(-14F) so I got worried about the Model S handles.

This is insanely cool for people who have icing problems. What an amazing car! I'm blown away by the thought that went into some of the cool little things.

I have to wonder if this was by design or just an artifact. After all, when you pressurize the car by using a fan to bring outside air into the car, it has to leak out somewhere. The fact that air blows out when the HVAC fan is on means that dirt and water can get in there when it isn't.

mknox is right. All of my cars have always done this. Cars are not air tight (and shouldn't be), and they definitely vent through the door panels and out the handles. Most people probably haven't noticed because it's relatively rare that you would leave a conventional ICE car running with the blower on high and then get out of the car.

mknox is right. All of my cars have always done this. Cars are not air tight (and shouldn't be), and they definitely vent through the door panels and out the handles. Most people probably haven't noticed because it's relatively rare that you would leave a conventional ICE car running with the blower on high and then get out of the car.

Now THAT is an interesting experiment I have to try out some day. Anyway, who does that in real life? With our VW Touran we couldn't do that anyway, because it has an automatic start-stop-system. You would have to leave the gear in while standing still, which isn't really an option if you also want to get out of the car at the same time :wink:

Now THAT is an interesting experiment I have to try out some day. Anyway, who does that in real life? With our VW Touran we couldn't do that anyway, because it has an automatic start-stop-system. You would have to leave the gear in while standing still, which isn't really an option if you also want to get out of the car at the same time :wink:

It's very common for those that live in cold climates here in the US. If your car doen't have auto start, you climb in, turn on the car, turn the defrost vents on full, then go back inside while the car warms up. Surprised that's not common in Europe.

It's very common for those that live in cold climates here in the US. If your car doen't have auto start, you climb in, turn on the car, turn the defrost vents on full, then go back inside while the car warms up. Surprised that's not common in Europe.
It's illegal to leave your car idling in many European countries. Even if you are in a traffic jam, you have to stop your engine if you haven't been moving for 3 or 5 minutes, if I'm not wrong.

It's illegal to leave your car idling in many European countries. Even if you are in a traffic jam, you have to stop your engine if you haven't been moving for 3 or 5 minutes, if I'm not wrong.

They've done the same in Ontario, Canada, or at least some cities in Ontario have. There are exemptions when the temperature falls above or below some prescribed value. I do use the remote starter on my car to clear the frost and warm the car on occasion in the winter.

They've done the same in Ontario, Canada, or at least some cities in Ontario have. There are exemptions when the temperature falls above or below some prescribed value. I do use the remote starter on my car to clear the frost and warm the car on occasion in the winter.

I had never heard of this before last night on the local news when they were talking about Minneapolis having a rule like this. I think its was 5 min normally and 15 if it was under a certain temp.