Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior doors, rear hatch, body panel fit and gap tolerances

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had the unfortunate experience of going to pick up your model Y and finding the exterior looks like a bunch of middle school students put the car together? The misalignment and gaps are laughable. Headlamps, tail lamps, passenger door, rear hatch all had 3/8” or more “out of tolerance issues.” Does Tesla have production quality control? I had the exact same problem on my M3 when I picked it up 2 years ago. I raised hell then, made the service center fix it. I am repeating the exact same process again!

Yup.... "in spec" for light alignments is up to 4mm

My doors were really out of alignment and after 2 SC visits specifically to fix them I was told "they were as good as they could be".

So if you want clean lines and doors that don't stick out you'll need shop elsewhere

Agreed Tesla has been willing to make adjustments to what I point out as out of spec.....Which is a courteous appeasement to a horrendous waste of my time dealing with the service center. After my SECOND trip to the service center, all my doors fit much better. The rear hatch is aligned too, but the hatch as designed and built doesn’t fit the vehicle frame opening properly. The whole part is about 1/2 an inch too short. The rear end of my Y has a built in “underbite” feature with too short a hatch. It looks funny, but I guess it’s just a feature of the car!!!

You'd think after being these cars for over 10 years now there'd be some improvement. Sounds like the now popular they are the worse they become? So my model Y is shared for delivery later this week. I went to the dealership and looked at it yesterday. The entire right side door panels are off. Do I make them fix prior to delivery? I don't want to be stuck with a "as good as we can get situation" if they fix post delivery?

Thanks