Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior Paint Flaws

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have problems with the Model Y paint job? I have a red AWD and it has several circular/oval spots that seem fainter than the rest as if they missed those spots when applying a second coat.

Anyone have experience trying to get Tesla to fix it? I plan to address it once the stay in place is relaxed.

Anyone else have problems with the Model Y paint job? I have a red AWD and it has several circular/oval spots that seem fainter than the rest as if they missed those spots when applying a second coat.

Anyone have experience trying to get Tesla to fix it? I plan to address it once the stay in place is relaxed.

Schedule appointment with pictures right away don't wait

Let me post my pic and let me know if you have the same issue.
I made an appointment at Tesla Service in Burlingame CA for a myriad of issues including a cracked windshield and paint and was told that the service can't focus on anything but the windshield due to social distancing measures (???). A neighbor in Berkeley had no issues servicing his car there and it took them 11 days but they got the job done (this from another thread).
At least my issues were acknowledged and I was told to get back to them for paint fix once this pandemic is over. I still call BS.
Oh, and just to mention another beaut: they did not put windshield wiper fluid in my vehicle on delivery so I drove in a filthy car. Then they informed me via text that they can't do a courtesy car wash due to "inability to do it in an eco responsible way - can't reclaim water from the wash".
Good luck!

Attachments

• 20200421_190704.jpg
    20200421_190704.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 177
Orange County also had to quit courtesy washes as county requires an very expensive recirculation water system be installed in commercial car washes.

I don’t mind not having courtesy washes. I always asked for them not to was my S when they still offered it because I am particular about how it’s done. I do the two bucket method and clean the car before service so I can easily inspect for damage before and after. It works well and have never had a problem at the Rocklin SC.

Do you have any photos? From what your describing it almost sounds like polishing spots where they denibbed but have hazed back. I've seen that on Teslas before.

Let me post my pic and let me know if you have the same issue.
I made an appointment at Tesla Service in Burlingame CA for a myriad of issues including a cracked windshield and paint and was told that the service can't focus on anything but the windshield due to social distancing measures (???). A neighbor in Berkeley had no issues servicing his car there and it took them 11 days but they got the job done (this from another thread).
At least my issues were acknowledged and I was told to get back to them for paint fix once this pandemic is over. I still call BS.
Oh, and just to mention another beaut: they did not put windshield wiper fluid in my vehicle on delivery so I drove in a filthy car. Then they informed me via text that they can't do a courtesy car wash due to "inability to do it in an eco responsible way - can't reclaim water from the wash".
Good luck!

It's hard to tell from photos, but that almost looks like overspray from refinish. If that's what it is it would be an indicator that part of your car was repainted after the assembly line. Does it kind of feel drier than the rest of the panel? Sometimes feels smoother too, hard to describe. Not saying it being refinished is necessarily a bad thing, could just have been fixing up a minor defect. But it's one of those things that would he nice to know

I made an appointment at Tesla Service in Burlingame CA for a myriad of issues including a cracked windshield and paint a...
You accepted a new $55K automobile with a cracked windshield, paint issues and other problems (including a misaligned door in your photo)?
It boggles the imagination that people let Tesla get away with this stuff.

Imagine walking in to a BMW dealership, telling them you want to look at a new 3 or 5 Series, you have a $55K budget and they bring one around from the back with a cracked windshield, bad paint, misaligned doors, and other issues?

You accepted a new $55K automobile with a cracked windshield, paint issues and other problems (including a misaligned door in your photo)?
It boggles the imagination that people let Tesla get away with this stuff.

Imagine walking in to a BMW dealership, telling them you want to look at a new 3 or 5 Series, you have a $55K budget and they bring one around from the back with a cracked windshield, bad paint, misaligned doors, and other issues?

Because it’s a Tesla, so a few misaligned panels and a cracked windshield isn’t a big deal once they service it in 1-2 days while you drive a model s rental.

it still sucks. I got a list of issues, most of them resolved but still annoying however it’s all worth it to me. I’ve owned several high end luxury cars and I’m blown away by the Tesla.

Reactions: empiredown
It would be interesting to take a Model 3 built at the Chinese plant after it's been producing Model 3's for a year and one made from the Freemont plant when it had been producing Model 3's for a year and compare them.

Which would have less (or even zero) flaws?

Anyone think the Chinese Model 3's are delivered to customers with badly flawed paint, dirty interiors, interior seat backs detaching, scratched rims, severely misaligned doors, hatches, etc.. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelr316
It would be interesting to take a Model 3 built at the Chinese plant after it's been producing Model 3's for a year and one made from the Freemont plant when it had been producing Model 3's for a year and compare them.
Anyone think the Chinese Model 3's are delivered to customers with badly flawed paint, dirty interiors, interior seat backs detaching, scratched rims, severely misaligned doors, hatches, etc.. ?

It would also be interesting to find a forum like this that the Chinese Tesla fans have created and posted their personal reviews on.

*sigh - I just wish the quality was better. Owner since '13 and on my M3 I had a series of problems. I am thinking about pushing out my delivery because of these.

Unfortunately, I as well. I wasn't hesitant to get a first year model because so much was shared in common with the 3, I thought the fit and finish issues would be under control. These issues will be solved and it's going to be a great car. When they consistently start being delivered without them, I will pull the trigger.

Reactions: cusetownusa