TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Exterior piece next to passenger mirror loosening?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Kotoko, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Kotoko

Kotoko Member

I noticed the adhesive on the exterior piece next to the passenger rear view mirror is showing. The piece also appears to be more loose and I can try to press on it to reattach better (it reverts back to its previous position once I let go). I contacted Tesla and they will contact me once they have the part. Anyone else with this issue?

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  2. tambam

tambam Member

I do. I haven’t been bugged by it enough to contact Tesla yet.

3. GoodOmens

GoodOmens Member

Yes just picked mine up and both are loose.

4. billy/

billy/ Member

I have it too.

5. Jdee2wheels

Jdee2wheels Member

Mine isn't as bad as the pictures here, but it definitely is pulling away a bit on the one mirror and perfectly fine on the other side.

6. vj1824

vj1824 Member

I had this too on the passenger side, Tesla service fixed it up in a day.

7. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

I had the same issue, and I fear it's going to be a recurring issue. Passenger side was worse, but it was on both sides.

8. Angrypenguin

Angrypenguin New Member

Mine is doing this as well. Passenger side is worse, I’ve been thinking of just sticking some double sided tape inside, but I have a service appointment in a couple weeks anyways for other minor things.

9. Kotoko

Kotoko Member

What did they do to fix it?

10. KDGr

KDGr Member

Yes, I'm curious, too, how they fixed it. I set up a service (Santa Clara, CA) for both passenger and driver triangles. Passenger side is way out at the top, and the driver side does the push in, click, then pop back out thing. They said it's a common problem, no good fix, have tried various things, and there will "probably" be a recall "some time in the future." They also said it's entirely cosmetic, that the rubber underneath provides all the weather proofing.

11. WanderingM

WanderingM New Member

It tokt them less than 30 minutes to fix it. The invoice says readhered to trim.

12. David Haynes

David Haynes Member

Sounds like 'yukum-stickum" to me.
    It is what General Contractors use to fix all water leaks.

13. Chris350

Chris350 Member

I too have this issue .... worse side is the Passenger .... But the Driver side is starting to peel away.... Hot in South Florida...

14. KDGr

KDGr Member

Thinking of a very thin layer of Gorilla Glue and clamping it. If I do, will share pics. They need to replace these, though. I see it separating along the lower open edge now, too.

15. KDGr

KDGr Member

Did the repair with Gorilla Glue and a popsicle stick from my surf board repair kit to spread glue, a C-clamp, some thin boards, and a cotton rag to protect the black plastic. Photos below. Worked well, a bit of clean up from the GG expanding but it came off easily. I glued the plastic in several places--could even do more down near the base (wondering if rain water will get in there and compromise things...if it rains again in CA). I found pulling the rubber back to spread glue put less stress on things and gave me more room than moving the black plastic.

The C-clamp may have been overkill. I did the driver side (no photos) with a large binder clip, and that worked fine. The binder clip also allowed me to close the door all the way with the window down (used the power off button on screen for the passenger side repair, since the door stayed open several hours).

Time will tell how well this holds, but GG is strong stuff. I'm sure other adhesives could work just as well. At least this will stop or slow further peeling away...maybe until (if) Tesla takes care of the problems with a recall. Working on this closely showed me just how poorly, or hurriedly, these triangles were put on the car. There was no adhesive at all in many spots.

IMG_2596.jpg IMG_2600.jpg IMG_2606.jpg IMG_2607.jpg IMG_2631.jpg IMG_2632.jpg

• Informative x 1
  16. vj1824

vj1824 Member

i think they just glued it back, it looks normal now