Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior piece next to passenger mirror loosening?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed the adhesive on the exterior piece next to the passenger rear view mirror is showing. The piece also appears to be more loose and I can try to press on it to reattach better (it reverts back to its previous position once I let go). I contacted Tesla and they will contact me once they have the part. Anyone else with this issue?

Attachments

• 1533443678740.jpg
    1533443678740.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 516
  • 1533443678676.jpg
    1533443678676.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 447
  • 1533443678619.jpg
    1533443678619.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 420
  • Informative
Reactions: tambam
I had this too on the passenger side, Tesla service fixed it up in a day.

Yes, I'm curious, too, how they fixed it. I set up a service (Santa Clara, CA) for both passenger and driver triangles. Passenger side is way out at the top, and the driver side does the push in, click, then pop back out thing. They said it's a common problem, no good fix, have tried various things, and there will "probably" be a recall "some time in the future." They also said it's entirely cosmetic, that the rubber underneath provides all the weather proofing.

Did the repair with Gorilla Glue and a popsicle stick from my surf board repair kit to spread glue, a C-clamp, some thin boards, and a cotton rag to protect the black plastic. Photos below. Worked well, a bit of clean up from the GG expanding but it came off easily. I glued the plastic in several places--could even do more down near the base (wondering if rain water will get in there and compromise things...if it rains again in CA). I found pulling the rubber back to spread glue put less stress on things and gave me more room than moving the black plastic.

The C-clamp may have been overkill. I did the driver side (no photos) with a large binder clip, and that worked fine. The binder clip also allowed me to close the door all the way with the window down (used the power off button on screen for the passenger side repair, since the door stayed open several hours).

Time will tell how well this holds, but GG is strong stuff. I'm sure other adhesives could work just as well. At least this will stop or slow further peeling away...maybe until (if) Tesla takes care of the problems with a recall. Working on this closely showed me just how poorly, or hurriedly, these triangles were put on the car. There was no adhesive at all in many spots.

IMG_2596.jpg IMG_2600.jpg IMG_2606.jpg IMG_2607.jpg IMG_2631.jpg IMG_2632.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Pied