Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior Repairs, Body Shops, MD Area - Thoughts/Comments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skipdd

Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2015
Silver Spring, MD
Damaged right rear quarter panel, doesn't require replacement. Suffering from sticker shock ($3800). Read all previous posts I could find and spoke to Rockville Service Center (very helpful). Have quote from closest authorized repair shop (Euro Pro) and met with them today (they explained why aluminum is harder to work with. Only good news is that Tesla repairs don't face the same queue as their other work; they can start the repair next week if I go forward). Probably going to have them do the work. Considered having other shops do the work. Have one I respect and have used over the years, but he does not have ability to work with Aluminum, and deferred the job. He recommended Givens in Frederick (they work with aluminum and have done a number of performance cars), but when I called them they weren't sure they'd ever done any Tesla's before..and didn't sound that interested. Interested to learn of any other non-Tesla certified shops that someone may have used for non-structural type repair in the DC Metro area.

This experience is going to change my driving habits. I LOVE the car, and I have been driving it pretty much everywhere - 13k miles in 7 months. Now I think I will reduce my exposure by not driving it as much.. We'll see.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Aluminum body panels are not uncommon, and with the new F-150 will become quite common. There should be plenty of reputable shops around that could at least give you another quote. Only problem is if its not the Tesla certified shop and it turns out something does need to be replaced, they won't be able to get the parts for it.

Bottom line though, fixing a Tesla sucks and costs a fortune. Insurance prices are already rising and will continue to do something until Tesla stops with their ridiculous monopolistic repair policies.

Aluminum body panels are not uncommon, and with the new F-150 will become quite common. There should be plenty of reputable shops around that could at least give you another quote. Only problem is if its not the Tesla certified shop and it turns out something does need to be replaced, they won't be able to get the parts for it.

Bottom line though, fixing a Tesla sucks and costs a fortune. Insurance prices are already rising and will continue to do something until Tesla stops with their ridiculous monopolistic repair policies.

Thanks. My concern is finding one that would be good. I was hoping someone on the forum would have had experience with another shop. Initially I was hoping the shop I normally use could do it. And I considered his recommendation to be a likely good candidate. Unfortunately it didn't pan out. I'm reluctant to roll the dice on a shop that I can't independently verify their quality of work. I don't think Checkbook has a separate category for assessing body shops for aluminum repairs...

- - - Updated - - -

Just curious do all Tesla-certified places charge the same? I know Crisswell in Annapolis is Tesla-certified, just don't know if it's worth the phone call.

I considered contacting Criswell. The folks at the Tesla Service Center said both shops usually quote about the same rate. I also took a look at the reviews of Criswell, and they weren't inspiring. Euro Pro had a very positive review from a Tesla owner. I may still ask Criswell for a quote. My thinking was that a non-certified shop that worked with aluminum and did quality work would likely have the most value - if I could find one that I would trust..

I'm not thrilled with EuroPro either. They got overspray on my frunk liner, but Tesla SC conveniently and awesomely addressed that (and the front fender liner that may have been EuroPro or the tow company) with goodwill. What bothered me the most was that I had discussed with them that I wanted to get the car wrapped and I might as well do it after getting new panels and paint corrected and polished which they would have to do as part of the repair. In fact they recommended the installer (who was okay, but not great, they used precut film and didn't wrap it around the edges so, to be honest, it works, but I'm afraid film is now yellowing and edges show up even worse). Since they had to remove the hood and blend the MC pearl white, why the heck didn't they either correct the rock chips on the hood (knowing car was going to get filmed), or call me and ask me to pay the incremental cost of correcting it? I prefer to deal with companies who treat my beloved car as if it were their beloved car, and that just didn't happen.

I know other "car guys" who like them though, so YMMV.

Also, FWIW, the Olney Cars'n'Coffee group had a local expert detailer speaker at their monthly luncheon last month and he was very cautionary about paintless dent repair - apparently, the paint is stressed already and although it can be fixed for a short period of time, it will eventually crack. That's not to say you shouldn't do it, because it could buy you time and then on the next ding, or the ding after you can get it fixed for real.

Thanks for the info. I will ask a few more questions before I engage them, and carefully inspect the car before I accept the repair.

Also thanks for sharing the info about the Olney Cars'n'Coffee Club - how would I join/attend future meetings? I live pretty close to Olney.

@CatB;

Sorry to hear you had issues with Euro Pros. It seems that it is always hit and miss with any body shop. However, I had a good experience with Euro Pros. My trunk bumpers were misadjusted when I received my car in 2013, and I didn't initially notice it --- until I saw that the paint on the rear fender area was being rubbed off where the trunk lid contacted it. I pointed that out to the Rockville SC folks (who have always taken great care of me!!) and they agreed that it was a Tesla responsibility to correct. They sent the car to Euro Pros and gave me a S85 loaner for about a week. Since the car was in the body shop anyway, I asked Euro Pros to fix a couple of scratches that were my responsibility. I wasn't have a wrap done like you were having done. I was pleased with the results when the car was returned to me.