Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

External bolt on the MY Rotor hats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DDrawer

Mar 25, 2019
PA
Did anyone see the latest Sandy Munro video? Looks like the hats on the rotors are not completely flat, there's a hex head sticking on on them (starts talking about it at 3 minute mark). So the aftermarket wheel selection is going to be significantly limited by that. I find it odd I haven't heard any other youtubers talking about that. i1tesla did plenty of wheel swaps on his MY and he didn't say anything about that. Can any current owners confirm that bolt is there?

Did anyone see the latest Sandy Munro video? Looks like the hats on the rotors are not completely flat, there's a hex head sticking on on them (starts talking about it at 3 minute mark). So the aftermarket wheel selection is going to be significantly limited by that. I find it odd I haven't heard any other youtubers talking about that. i1tesla did plenty of wheel swaps on his MY and he didn't say anything about that. Can any current owners confirm that bolt is there?

Maybe you haven't seen much because the Model 3 has the same setup. (At least I'm pretty sure it does.)

Some people opt to just leave the bolt off if it interferes with their wheels. (It is really only there to hold the rotor in place until you get the wheel properly mounted and torqued.)

I'm not sure why Sandy seems to think it is new. (Maybe it is only on the performance variants?)

That is the bolt that holds the rotor on during the assembly line build, you can remove it and SHOULD remove it with aftermarket wheels. obviously the wheel holds the rotor on and inevitable corrosion will make sure it doesnt fall off when you remove the caliper for brake pad changes. i have seen posts where the imbalance on wheels due to this bolt cause big issues BTW its on S and X as well not sure about 3

Maybe you haven't seen much because the Model 3 has the same setup. (At least I'm pretty sure it does.)

Some people opt to just leave the bolt off if it interferes with their wheels. (It is really only there to hold the rotor in place until you get the wheel properly mounted and torqued.)

I'm not sure why Sandy seems to think it is new. (Maybe it is only on the performance variants?)

Yes, I was not aware that the model 3 was like this. I assumed since Sandy was pointing it out that it was new.

From Performance Model Y
20200317_145942.jpg
20200317_152945.jpg

Not an issue. Replace it with a flat head bolt and problem solved.
That'd still need some clearance space though. Most cars using an allen key or torx screw have a countersunk hole in the disc and a countersunk screw, so that it's totally flush.

Running without the bolt wouldn't be an issue though - as others have said, it's only to hold the disc in place whilst the wheel is off. Once the wheel is on that clamps the disc tightly against the hub, and this bolt/screw is doing nothing.

Pretty common on a lot of cars. Keeps the rotor in position while installing the brake caliper so the rotor doesn't flop around. Once the calipers are mounted, the rotor can't go anywhere.

The bolt is a nice-to-have when R&R'ing brake calipers, but otherwise unnecessary.