Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

External Charger Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My roadster (1.5) is at the service center, and the 2.0 loaner wouldn't charge at home with the original Roadster HPWC. I get the blue flashing LED which turns to solid red after flashing several times. The VDS console shows "External Charger Problem" error.

Has anyone seen this issue before and any ideas on what I could do? I am hoping when I get my 1.5 back it will continue to charge with my HPWC at home. Thanks in advance.

When it faults look at the charger, not the car's port ring or VDS. You need to pay attention to the code that the charger blinks out to find out what's wrong. Then make sure it is reset before trying again. Most likely it's a ground fault error. The original Roadster HPC had a lower GFI threshold and the 2.x Roadsters leak more current to ground than the 1.5s when they first start charging. Sometimes you have to just keep trying until it works, remembering to reset the charger each time.

When it faults look at the charger, not the car's port ring or VDS. You need to pay attention to the code that the charger blinks out to find out what's wrong. Then make sure it is reset before trying again. Most likely it's a ground fault error. The original Roadster HPC had a lower GFI threshold and the 2.x Roadsters leak more current to ground than the 1.5s when they first start charging. Sometimes you have to just keep trying until it works, remembering to reset the charger each time.

Thank you ! The Charger did show Ground Fault. I tried this few times, and resetting the charger every time, but it didn't work. Let me pay close attention to the code it blinks out, and retry.

I had a visitor a couple of years ago that tried using my First gen Roadster HPC on his 2.0 Roadster. We never were able to get the car to charge. Same GFI issue. We even tried starting off with a much lower current to no avail. In between, we connected it to my 1.5 Roadster and it would charge with no issues every time.