Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

External Hard Drive For Dash Cam For My Model S ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get an endurance SD or MicroSD card (designed for extreme temperatures and heavy duty DashCam operation) with a USB adapter. I have a SanDisk MAX Endurance microSD Card - 256GB with a Mobilemate USB 3.0 Reader. The newest S may use a different USB size for the reader. Tiny, rugged.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Get an endurance SD or MicroSD card (designed for extreme temperatures and heavy duty DashCam operation) with a USB adapter. I have a SanDisk MAX Endurance microSD Card - 256GB with a Mobilemate USB 3.0 Reader. The newest S may use a different USB size for the reader. Tiny, rugged.
I have almost the same setup, Sandisk Mobilemate 3.0 SDDR-B531 and Sandisk high endurance 256Gb card... tried formatting FAT32 and exFAT and recognizes the reader and the card but 2019 MX does not (software version 2021.4.18.2)... even the option to format USB is greyed out. Tried a jump-drive and MX recognizes it and able to format.
Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I have almost the same setup, Sandisk Mobilemate 3.0 SDDR-B531 and Sandisk high endurance 256Gb card... tried formatting FAT32 and exFAT and recognizes the reader and the card but 2019 MX does not (software version 2021.4.18.2)... even the option to format USB is greyed out. Tried a jump-drive and MX recognizes it and able to format.
Any suggestions?
That is the same setup as me. Hopefully you have a computer or laptop with a USB port that you can plug the drive in and see if it recognizes the setup. Make sure it has the required directory on the USB drive. If issues, try doing a slow format. That will take many hours, but the drive may have a corruption that a full format should clear.

Upvote 0
That is the same setup as me. Hopefully you have a computer or laptop with a USB port that you can plug the drive in and see if it recognizes the setup. Make sure it has the required directory on the USB drive. If issues, try doing a slow format. That will take many hours, but the drive may have a corruption that a full format should clear.
Sorry I was not clear, tried the same setup to connect to PC and no issues. I will try the slow format next.

Upvote 0
I found sometimes the only way is to use a computer to format ExFat, slow format and then to format in the car as well. In other words it sometimes won't recognise its own formatting!
Also of course make sure its the only stick/card/SSD plugged in - it won't even try unless the one you want isn't the only one since it can't determine the correct one.

Upvote 0