Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

External Mount Sunpass and 95 Express HOV Exemption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Jason,

Another option is as I described earlier. Based on jbcarioca's remarks it should work for the newer cars.

With the transponder being Velcroed to the back of the rear view mirror stalk it is easily accessible. So on those occasions where you are on the HOV lanes remove it and place in in the glove box or a foil bag. When you need it for other toll situations stick it to the mirror stalk. It has worked 100% of the time for me when mounted as described.

Larry
I forgot to mention that I used my old Surpass in the same position as my condo pass and it worked well. It did not when i tried to put them adjacent to each other. My guess is that most newer cars may have a smaller clear area than do the older cars. That is just a guess. For me, remote mount Surpass eliminated the question, but HOV sticker will not help now either, so i must pay all the time. I do not really mind that, to be frank.

Sunpass

I called sunpass to order my external transponder and they opened a ticket. A week later I received it with a charge of $21 to my credit card from my account. Is it normal for them to charge as they never told me this when they opened a ticket. I was just told someone would contact me.

Next question, I assume when my model s arrives at service I should drop it off so they can install it when prepping it.

I do not remember what I was charged for mine. When your car arrives the WPB SC people will happily install yours. They did mine, and have provided superb service ever since.

I called sunpass to order my external transponder and they opened a ticket. A week later I received it with a charge of $21 to my credit card from my account. Is it normal for them to charge as they never told me this when they opened a ticket. I was just told someone would contact me.

Next question, I assume when my model s arrives at service I should drop it off so they can install it when prepping it.

Hi Howard,

Moderator Note: I've merged your thread with a similar existing thread. Please use the search feature for existing threads before beginning a new thread.

Thanks.

Larry

Stop, stop, stop. There is absolutely no need to mount a Sunpass transponder anywhere on your car. I've been registered in the Sunpass system for nearly two years now of owning our Model S. If your car is registered in Sunpass with a transponder assigned to it, you do not need to have the transponder "communicate" with any Sunpass toll system. Instead they will take a picture of your license plate and bill you the Sunpass discounted rate. I've been doing this for a looooong time and have never been overcharged. The only time I pull out the transponder from our glove box is when I'm at the airport and I want to pay for parking using the Sunpass.

Additionally, I'm registered for the 95 Express freebie and you need to shield your transponder anyways. Have never been charged for 95 Express.

In summary, as long as you are registered in their system you do NOT need to use your transponder.

A neat benefit is that I get Model S glamour shots of the back of our car by logging into the Sunpass website and clicking on account activity.

Agreed. I live in the Orlando area and travel toll roads once per month. I tried Larry's suggestion to place it on my rearview mirror, but according the SunPass charge activity, I received a ITOL which means it didn't read my mobile transponder and they charged by reviewing the picture of my license plate which is registered with them. The charges were the same as when it read my transponder in my previous car, so I am not going to bother with an external mount behind the nosecone. I don't see a need for it and will just keep it in my glove box.

Btw, yesterday I used the express lanes and decided to try leaving the Sunpass mounted on the velcro, and it did charge me:

Transponder 078xxxxxxxxxx on 01/20/2016 02:45:11 PM at I-95 NW 54th St Expr NB MP5 lane 03S Agency I-95 with 02 axles. TTOL ($2.50) $39.22 Receipt
This continues to be a mystery to me. We haven't been on 95express lanes in a while, but we've not charged 95express tolls in our P85, which has an unshieldable transponder behind the nosecone.

Yesterday, we just received the 95express exemption letter for our other Tesla (P90D), which also has an unshieldable transponder behind the nosecone. I'll be using the P90D on 95express tomorrow so I'll report here whether or not I'm charged.

I realize that toll-by-tag with no transponder always works with the 95express exemption, but I like having a transponder for instant reporting and use in other states.

Today, I drove on the 95express lanes with our P90D, which has an unshieldable transponder behind the nosecone and I was charged. Previously our P85, which also has an unshieldable transponder behind the nosecone was not charged. Both are registered as exempt.

Hi,

I have purchased one of those suction cup SunPass transponders. I found that if you velcro it to the back of the rear view mirror stalk it works everytime when going through SunPass toll booths. Since its easily accessible to you it is convenient to shield it on those occasions when you are on the 95 Express Lanes.

Larry
can post a pic, as I would love to see where you attached it? Thanks,

Today, I drove on the 95express lanes with our P90D, which has an unshieldable transponder behind the nosecone and I was charged. Previously our P85, which also has an unshieldable transponder behind the nosecone was not charged. Both are registered as exempt.
On my P85D I have the unshieldable nosecone transponder also. I was not charged for several months, but since 2016 I have been charged. Possibly their processes have changed, I do not know. Anyway I do not actually object to paying anyway. I question whether >$100,000 cars ought to have exemptions anyway. I guess I am revealing my political position.

On my P85D I have the unshieldable nosecone transponder also. I was not charged for several months, but since 2016 I have been charged. Possibly their processes have changed, I do not know. Anyway I do not actually object to paying anyway. I question whether >$100,000 cars ought to have exemptions anyway. I guess I am revealing my political position.
Your political position? - You may be onto something here! - Maybe starting in 2016, Sunpass is "Feellin' the Bern" and decided to no longer be "rigged in favor of the millionaires and billionaires".:smile:

Your political position? - You may be onto something here! - Maybe starting in 2016, Sunpass is "Feellin' the Bern" and decided to no longer be "rigged in favor of the millionaires and billionaires".:smile:
I don't know the political backdrop for the 2017 planned elimination of LEV exemptions nationally. I'll hazard a guess it was more the congestion from all the hybrids from many models than it was a broader political point. They might have decided to do only ZEV but had they done that it might have seemed to be essentially favoring Tesla, since Tesla's far outnumber all others for highway driving.

More recently I'm sure the Koch brothers anti-EV push will influence their usually beneficiaries. We'll maybe even hear something about that in the Presidential general election if the Koch and other oil interests deem it desirable.

Hiw I wish EV were not a political subject. Sadly, it is hard to overestimate the political power of the fossil fuel extraction/processing/distribution/use industry. That combination was something like 15% of US employment not long ago and a major factor for a huge proportion of the Forbes 400. This probably should go in a different thread.

If your car is registered in Sunpass with a transponder assigned to it, you do not need to have the transponder "communicate" with any Sunpass toll system. Instead they will take a picture of your license plate and bill you the Sunpass discounted rate. I've been doing this for a looooong time and have never been overcharged.

I have heard this as well. I do wonder if they charge an extra "administrative fee" to your sunpass account along with the discounted toll rate for having to photograph your plates and "manually" search for your sunpass account. From what you say above I suspect not, but I was hoping you could clarify,

If you do choose to leave it on and want to get the charges removed after the fact, be aware that it is quite a hassle. You have to call and hold for a rep. Then you have to tell them why you're calling. Then they have to transfer you to the "I-95 department", which might mean another hold. Then they have to give you a song and dance about why you should shield it, and you have to tell them why you can't, etc. This is each time. And both of those people sometimes have to talk to a supervisor. Probably not worth it, but I've been going through it because the toll has be $10.50 lately. I have not tried the other method of leaving the Sunpass at home lately, but hopefully that didn't change for I-95.

No extra fees, whatsoever.

Thank you for this.

I was in FL in January with my Model S and somehow did not run into any tolls, but it is good to know I can sign up for a Sunpass account and be done. I have an externally mounted EZ-Pass, so switching this for an external Sunpass just for a few weeks of FL driving, and then switching it back to EZ-Pass on the way home, would be a real pain.