TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

External poll: Are you excited about driverless features coming in September?

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by DanCar, Jun 26, 2018.

1. DanCar

DanCar Member

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

No.

• Like x 2
  3. ZEPHYRHATS

ZEPHYRHATS Member

im certainly looking forward to it.

• Like x 1
  4. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Also excited about Santa visiting in December.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I'm totally waiting (in a very sincere patch) for the Great Pumpkin to fly across the sky.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  6. Robotpedlr

Robotpedlr Supporting Member

I purchased the FSD option so I am hopeful of some steps in that direction. Would be happy with freeway entrace to freeway exit self driving for starters.

• Like x 1
  7. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Um, *what* driverless features coming?

Maybe we get one feature (probably making the silent E in EAP no longer silent).

But until we get traffic signal and stop sign reaction, the latter first seen 18 months ago in a video with MobilEye gear, there’s not a lot to get excited about.

And both of those are 18-24 months away.

Very cool if sooner, but until *that* day, I view v9.0 and v9.1 as the next incremental steps along an ongoing journey,

Hopefully Tesla maintains a lead over the competition in the driver assist arena *and* doesn’t break anything as did v8.x (see audio management, general UI/UX in MCU tile management, and of course the failed nagging nightmare).

Incremental progress. It’s not the worst thing in the world.

8. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

"Wake me up, when September ends"

• Like x 3
  9. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Honestly for me if I did not want to drive my car I would take a bus. The thing I enjoy most of car ownership is driving the car, in my Model X I rarely use AP1, maybe on a long trip on highway 5 where it is boring, but will never own a self driving vehicle.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I'm more interested in new products like the truck, driverless features to me bring no value, as I'm still humming along in my 2014 P85+. I did use the AP1 features in my wife's 2016 90D driving from DC to Orlando FL, and frankly I would have paid more for more range vs stopping 8 times to charge.

• Like x 1
  11. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

I would be if I thought there was any chance at all that we would see ANYTHING. I stopped getting excited 3 months maybe 6 months definitely OVER a year and a half ago. I did pre-pay for FSD so COME ON Elon SURPRISE ME this tIme!!!

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  12. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

13. cpa

cpa Active Member

I would rather see Tesla tweak their current software that is already installed.

--accurate trip planning
    --navigation with waypoints
    --navigation using alternate routing besides the standard, canned results
    --trip and energy graphs for the Model 3
    --up-to-the-minute Supercharger stall availability with estimated charging speed by stall
    --ways to report Supercharger outages without dialing Tesla and waiting on hold for 20 minutes

Those of us with antique Teslas have no need for the newer features that have been introduced and/or purchased, so I understand your excitement. But it would be refreshing for a change if Tesla would complete a job once undertaken instead of doing it halfway and then abandoning it.

• Like x 1
  14. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

No, all the joy and excitement has been sucked out by previous "X feature is coming within 3 months" to be excited by any Elon tweet.

Life now is massive cynicism followed by sheer amazement when something actually works or comes on time.

As a Tesla owner probably 90% of my excitement now days is seeing when a new Supercharger opens up or when a destination charger is opened at a place I like.

• Like x 3
  15. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I envy those of you that can actually drive somewhere.

99% of my behind the wheel time is simply a series of following one car after another car. The reason I want a self-driving vehicle is in hopes that can make the main roads so efficient that people stop ruining the backroads, and scenic routes.

Let us drive again by bringing on the self-driving car.
    Let us be able to bike to work by bringing on self-driving cars. So we don't get hit by driving distracted or impaired.

Plus if we had self-driving cars we could ratchet up the requirement for those that get a driving license, and to make it easier for people to lose their license by doing stupid things.

• Like x 2
  16. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

Define "driverless" ?

17. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

No one knows, and it's hard to be excited by that level of vagueness.

18. DanCar

DanCar Member

According to the teaser image these are the features that are coming in Septemberish time frame:
    1. Follow navigation (yes, that is vague)
    2. ULC, unassisted lane change

19. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

I think we can be confident that these will be "hands on" features.

IMO, hands on = EAP, hands off = FSD.

But let's see :)

• Like x 1
  20. DanCar

DanCar Member

Agree you will have to monitor the car, but the car will do lane change on its own to take correct exit.