Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

External poll: Are you excited about driverless features coming in September?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DanCar

Oct 2, 2013
SF Bay Area
https://plus.google.com/u/2/+DanielCardenas/posts/DFbwT2LFcpx
The more I think about it, the more excited I am about Tesla driverless features coming in August / September time frame. I'm confident you will still have to monitor the car. Are you excited?

From Elon's twitter post: Elon Musk on Twitter
driverless-tesla-teaser.jpeg

Um, *what* driverless features coming?

Maybe we get one feature (probably making the silent E in EAP no longer silent).

But until we get traffic signal and stop sign reaction, the latter first seen 18 months ago in a video with MobilEye gear, there’s not a lot to get excited about.

And both of those are 18-24 months away.

Very cool if sooner, but until *that* day, I view v9.0 and v9.1 as the next incremental steps along an ongoing journey,

Hopefully Tesla maintains a lead over the competition in the driver assist arena *and* doesn’t break anything as did v8.x (see audio management, general UI/UX in MCU tile management, and of course the failed nagging nightmare).

Incremental progress. It’s not the worst thing in the world.

I'm more interested in new products like the truck, driverless features to me bring no value, as I'm still humming along in my 2014 P85+. I did use the AP1 features in my wife's 2016 90D driving from DC to Orlando FL, and frankly I would have paid more for more range vs stopping 8 times to charge.

Reactions: DanCar
I would rather see Tesla tweak their current software that is already installed.

--accurate trip planning
--navigation with waypoints
--navigation using alternate routing besides the standard, canned results
--trip and energy graphs for the Model 3
--up-to-the-minute Supercharger stall availability with estimated charging speed by stall
--ways to report Supercharger outages without dialing Tesla and waiting on hold for 20 minutes

Those of us with antique Teslas have no need for the newer features that have been introduced and/or purchased, so I understand your excitement. But it would be refreshing for a change if Tesla would complete a job once undertaken instead of doing it halfway and then abandoning it.

Reactions: P85_DA
No, all the joy and excitement has been sucked out by previous "X feature is coming within 3 months" to be excited by any Elon tweet.

Life now is massive cynicism followed by sheer amazement when something actually works or comes on time.

As a Tesla owner probably 90% of my excitement now days is seeing when a new Supercharger opens up or when a destination charger is opened at a place I like.

Honestly for me if I did not want to drive my car I would take a bus. The thing I enjoy most of car ownership is driving the car, in my Model X I rarely use AP1, maybe on a long trip on highway 5 where it is boring, but will never own a self driving vehicle.

I envy those of you that can actually drive somewhere.

99% of my behind the wheel time is simply a series of following one car after another car. The reason I want a self-driving vehicle is in hopes that can make the main roads so efficient that people stop ruining the backroads, and scenic routes.

Let us drive again by bringing on the self-driving car.
Let us be able to bike to work by bringing on self-driving cars. So we don't get hit by driving distracted or impaired.

Plus if we had self-driving cars we could ratchet up the requirement for those that get a driving license, and to make it easier for people to lose their license by doing stupid things.