Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

External speaker fault with latest update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a nearly perfect inductor “Jantzen Audio 000-2528 15mH .8ohm”

One of my concerns is how is Tesla determining the speaker is not functional… what resistance range is acceptable?

Question is: where to find a very low resistance inductor.

Seems that finding a 15-16mH inductor is difficult.

The speaker disconnector I used (that I got from one of the various websites) goes in line and breaks the circuit without damaging anything.

My initial thought is that I might be able to take that out, look at how they put the two ends of the connectors together, and then use those connectors as my in-line connection option.

What I would then do is wire it up with some high-quality copper wire putting the inductor in line, as it probably should be, and then dip the whole shebang in the tool handle cover. Basically making it waterproof…

I ordered this one.... and it's massive overkill... Home

Anyone know where to get the plug adapters for the external speaker harness?

I want to try to wire something up and have it plug in-line between the Tesla's wiring harness and the external speaker.

I'm trying to identify what the connector are, and need then with wires.

Anyone know where to get the plug adapters for the external speaker harness?

I want to try to wire something up and have it plug in-line between the Tesla's wiring harness and the external speaker.

I'm trying to identify what the connector are, and need then with wires.
See these posts:

Posting this because I haven't seen anyone else mention it yet. I have the isolation kit for pedestrian warning system installed on my M3P since day one and I am now receiving a warning message for the Boombox speaker since the latest update. This leaves a warning on my display at all times. I am able to swipe left on it and it minimizes the warning but it is still there.

I've been waiting for the update; got 2022.28.2 tonight. Drove around for ~20 mins, keeping mainly at low speeds, and left in reverse for ~10 mins; no errors. (FYI, the car will go into park if you're in reverse for 10 mins without moving). No cutting/splicing. 100% reversible.

IMG_4772.jpg

I've been waiting for the update; got 2022.28.2 tonight. Drove around for ~20 mins, keeping mainly at low speeds, and left in reverse for ~10 mins; no errors. (FYI, the car will go into park if you're in reverse for 10 mins without moving). No cutting/splicing. 100% reversible.

View attachment 857626
Hell yeah! What is that cap though? I'd love to get one of these! Is that from the isolation kit?

I really hope @Abstract Ocean comes out with an updated part. I don't really want to hack something together, even if you guys here have verified it works and I certainly don't want to worry about the elements or anything. AO's part always made me feel good that it was protected from a lot of snow or water getting in there or anything.

This is the exact method I used too but with a different resistor. Which resistor did you use?
5w. Since it’s not a media speaker with adjustable volume, I suspected the speaker wasn’t driven too hard to require a 25w resistor and the error was more of a presence check. So far, there has been no observable rise in temp of the resistor to suggest to me a larger one is needed. Opinion is subject to change based on future data. 😁

I really hope @Abstract Ocean comes out with an updated part. I don't really want to hack something together, even if you guys here have verified it works and I certainly don't want to worry about the elements or anything. AO's part always made me feel good that it was protected from a lot of snow or water getting in there or anything.
Only concern I have from an environmental aspect is the exposed resistor wire, although a feature of this resistor is moisture resistance. The plug has seals to keep away the elements from the factory harness. Since I’m in CA, I’m not too worried about erosion. Plus, replacing the resistor would be cheap. Of course for a commercial product more consideration for weather proofing would be considered.

Yes, I had an AO isolation kit for a while. Just added parts to make it work with the software update.

@Abstract Ocean, If you're interested in making a v2 isolation kit, ping me. ;)
Forgot to add, made a 3D printable bracket a while ago to hold the AO isolation kit without tape or zip ties.

I think the PWS activates only when you back up, not going forward. (please correct me if I am wrong).
Also, my neighbor told me that he really liked the alien UFO sound. LOL
There is a forward sound from the PWS at low speeds. I don't know the exact speed cut off, but if you drive really slow, like creeping, you can hear a "wind rustling" sound. It is most obvious when I'm creeping into my garage at home. As soon as I put the car in Park, it sound stops.

Reactions: nate704
I dont hit up this site often, so im late to the party.
once this update pushed out (28.2 for me) i went to flebay, found a new oem pws speaker (45 dollars), removed the cone and dust cover (photos), re attached the plastic grille that goes on top of it and reinstalled. im not good at diodes and such but would have abso-smurfly bought a kit seen above a commenter did. if it becomes a reality ill be one of the first. for now, this works and i still have the factory one in case i need to swap.

Attachments

• 20221001_113316.jpg
    20221001_113316.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 20221001_113513.jpg
    20221001_113513.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2 and Mike_TV