Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

External speaker fault with latest update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received an update Thursday night. On the drive to work Friday I now have an “external speaker fault”. I do have the external speaker unplugged and capped so obviously this is why it is alerting but it never alerted prior to the new update. Anyone k ow a way to do away with this alert other than plugging the speaker back in?

There are some other threads on it here so you'll have to search

In this new software update Tesla is warning you that this safety device is non-functioning and should be repaired.

I know there are a few people who don't like the PWS and have disconnected it but IMHO if you hit someone the legal system doesn't look too kindly on people who willful disable safety devices.

Why do people not want the PWS?
I do not have one as I have a grandfathered Model Y. It's silent at slow speeds so it's completely stealth pulling into or out of the garage. In parking lots, it becomes apparent, especially if the HVAC is off and music turned down, that people walking near the car don't hear anything and some are jolted by surprise. I get scowls and dirty looks as if it's my fault that I crept up on people and scared them. I drive SUPER SLOW in parking lots partially due to this and try to avoid areas with lots of pedestrians. If I had a PWS I could blast my way thought parking lots with abandon! <kidding>

My neighbor has a car with a PWS that makes the UFO sound "woo...woo...woo" every time they leave or return home. Some people don't like the added noise to an EV or think it's distracting from the calmness. I'm ALWAYS aware when they pull out or come home.

Maybe someday Tesla will use the vision system to dynamic adjust the PWS so that it only makes a sound when there are pedestrians nearby? Technically possible but might have to work with government to change the regulation to allow it.

Reactions: Jclboston
I don't mind it, however I live at an apartment complex where 10+ other people sleep exactly on top of my parking spot in which I always have to back into.
I really really dislike bothering them with that UFO sound at 3-4 in the morning and since almost everyone sleeps with their windows open they always hear me.
Now, if it were a white noise sound, people wouldn't mind. However it's neither that nor a "normal" ICE sound, so the uniqueness of the sound really makes it stand out.

This is why I unplugged mine. Now I actually get this, so I suppose the next step is to figure out the resistance of the speaker and build something that plugs into it and spoofs the speaker. Either that or tape the speaker until it's silent enough.

1663627150784.png

I don't mind it, however I live at an apartment complex where 10+ other people sleep exactly on top of my parking spot in which I always have to back into.
I really really dislike bothering them with that UFO sound at 3-4 in the morning and since almost everyone sleeps with their windows open they always hear me.
Now, if it were a white noise sound, people wouldn't mind. However it's neither that nor a "normal" ICE sound, so the uniqueness of the sound really makes it stand out.

This is why I unplugged mine. Now I actually get this, so I suppose the next step is to figure out the resistance of the speaker and build something that plugs into it and spoofs the speaker. Either that or tape the speaker until it's silent enough.

View attachment 854444

It looks like this car uses a simple 2-pin arrangement - it's not on the CANbus, so a generic 8-ohm 5 watt resistor will probably do the trick.

It looks like this car uses a simple 2-pin arrangement - it's not on the CANbus, so a generic 8-ohm 5 watt resistor will probably do the trick.

i looked it up and it's actually a 4 Ohm 25W speaker so I went ahead and ordered a 4 Ohms 100W resistor (just to be on the safe side). I'll hook it up once I get it and see if that clears the message.

It'd be nice if I could somehow replicate the speaker 2-pin socket so that I can fit it in just right.

Honestly the sound is extremely annoying and you can hear it inside the car.

as pointed it out if you were attempting to drive away and not make a lot of noise…. It’s problematic.
This would have been a perfect opportunity for Tesla to noise cancel inside the cabin, I might have left mine plugged in.

I had a Chevy Volt that was silent 99% of the time for three years, then a Model 3 for a couple years and never ran anyone over. I get that past performance isn't a guarantee of future performance, but they could have just left it silent and then used vision to trigger the horn if someone stepped in front/behind the car. We've had horns for years and don't "force" people to use them.

That said, I also don't live in a busy or tight city, I hardly drive (less than 10k miles in almost 2 years) and am very cautions (IE still turn my head and look instead of just using backup camera, etc). Let's hope I never have an issue where this would have done something.

Ok so the PWS on my MX Plaid broke right after I received it. I have not had the alert issue (current code is 2022.24.5) but I assume it will happen as some point. I have just enough electrical knowledge to be dangerous.

Would it make sense to use a voltmeter to measure the resistance across the pins connected to the speaker, then go out and get a resistor of the same resistance?

Ok so the PWS on my MX Plaid broke right after I received it. I have not had the alert issue (current code is 2022.24.5) but I assume it will happen as some point. I have just enough electrical knowledge to be dangerous.

Would it make sense to use a voltmeter to measure the resistance across the pins connected to the speaker, then go out and get a resistor of the same resistance?
if your PWS is broken you won't be able to measure the resistance, however there's a sticker on it which should indicate the specs (4Ohm 25W).

• Helpful
Reactions: strider