Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

External speaker retrofit to enable boombox on 2018 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually tried that several months ago. I sent out three demo units to three M3 owners who volunteered to help find and develop install procedures/photos/videos. Only one actually helped and that was to point to a couple of existing youtube videos on how to tap an unswitched 12v source for power, but no help on the actual WASP install and/or suitable speaker or GPS mounting locations. I'll DM you tomorrow.
You should have taken a CC and charged them for it, if they provide the documents you needed.

The cost tweet was deleted, but elon said he would check with service to see if it could be done

The only tweet that would be "official" on this would be one from elon, or an official announcement from tesla itself. The link you posted is not any sort of "official" notification, and as you mention they removed a tweet, so obviously were not authorized to tweet whatever they deleted.

So, nothing is "official" yet.

I don't see it as worth $300 if true. They do seem to like the $300 price point for add ons, though. The speaker sounds like crap. Rolling down the windows works better. When I tried it again today enabling the external speaker to play the current selected media caused the interior speakers to shut off.

So if you have the external speaker playing music then you can't also listen to it in the car but when you are playing one of the gimmick sounds it forces you to hear it inside and outside? Seems backwards to me.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Is that possible? Getting a speaker should not be that hard. Besides that, what I know is 2018 car has those drill-throughs on the front bottom plate for speaker. So I would assume on the other side there also exists some means to hold the speaker. The only problems are, is it simple to connect the speaker all the way to MCU? Once that finished does it automatically turn on?
I put in a service request for my Model Y (June 2020 vin) and asked them if they Tesla could add it much like they do with the garage door opener. Today I got a message that no such "Retro" kit exists and so they canceled my service appointment. Ok. If Tesla does want to make the Y more like a 3 maybe they will get a kit together that they can sell. It seems they have already invested in the BoomBox software so there must be money laying on the table yet to be made.

I found a picture of how it will look

Blues Mobile at Universal Studios.jpg

Why would a model y not have the speaker already?
It will definitely have the plug for it. Federal regulations stated that 50% of the cars sold by the manufacturer had to have the PWS after September 2019. That increased to 100% after September 2020. So not all Teslas made after September 2019 but before September 2010 will have the speaker. But they all should have the wiring.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker