Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

External speaker retrofit to enable boombox on 2018 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a feeling it’s really not that hard to do. If you’ve ever wired in speakers to a car radio, it shouldn’t be much different. This in theory would apply only if you’ve gotten MCU2 upgrade

1. Buy the warning speaker
  2. Drill in a few holes in your undertray
  3. Cut the Tesla plug connector off and put on a universal 3 prong connector from eBay or Amazon.
  4. Route the harness through the firewall
  5. Pull the 12v and HV battery connectors loose
  6. Access and pull the MCU forward (again... not so hard if you have any experience with interior mods)
  7. Find the connector and a photo of a factory equipped car and route the eBay/Amazon harness into the empty connector ports accordingly (you’d probably have to poke out the little plugs for unused pins which is extremely simple to do)
  8. Go to a certified Tesla repair center (probably not an actual Tesla SC as I see them having some hesitation possibly.. maybe not if they’re cool)
  9. Kachigga; you got a working fart horn

Edit: I’m not positive on this- but it might work with just a weatherproof marine/ ATV speaker as well. I would think it’s just a speaker that’s been beefed up from the factory

Last edited:
After playing with this today I have come to the conclusion that its not even worth any time or money. It gets boring first day. Nobody seems to care or react to it. I even tried the fart noise on an in car order pickup person. No reaction at all. The way to activate it is not intuitive and easy. Driving in the parking lot trying to turn on a song is a mess in the menu. Then you arent even sure if it is playing outside because its also playing inside at the same time.

I want to like this feature but its not very good. I even tried some custom sounds from below. Still lost its fun really fast. Don't waste your money on this. Solitaire is actually the best feature of this update.

Myinstants | The largest instant sound buttons website in United States!

Last edited:
jp6Y0sl.png

LET'S GOOOOOO

@P3dStealth
Yeah, starting to agree. Played with it yesterday in the wife's car. Looks like you have to turn it back on every single time you get in the car and most people don't notice it. I could see this getting old pretty quick. The honk replacement would be pretty cool if you could leave the regular horn off while driving, but it turns the regular horn back on as soon as you shift into drive, so you get a honk and then whatever sound you selected. I mostly use my horn to encourage old people to wake up and drive with the light turns green. Something friendlier than an actual honk would be great. Maybe they could put an extra virtual button somewhere on the main display for a secondary customizable honk sound. That's something I'd use every day.

@P3dStealth
Yeah, starting to agree. Played with it yesterday in the wife's car. Looks like you have to turn it back on every single time you get in the car and most people don't notice it. I could see this getting old pretty quick. The honk replacement would be pretty cool if you could leave the regular horn off while driving, but it turns the regular horn back on as soon as you shift into drive, so you get a honk and then whatever sound you selected. I mostly use my horn to encourage old people to wake up and drive with the light turns green. Something friendlier than an actual honk would be great. Maybe they could put an extra virtual button somewhere on the main display for a secondary customizable honk sound. That's something I'd use every day.

Thanks for sharing....well that's not as exciting as I thought haha. Now I don't feel like I'm missing anything (7/19 build)

@P3dStealth

Yep. Doesn't work while driving pretty much. The horn will beep and the sound will play on top of it but the sound isn't nearly loud enough to be noticed. Also if you play the driving sound it has to also play inside while driving.

For some reason they also don't let you change the reverse sound which would actually be useful.

After playing with this today I have come to the conclusion that its not even worth any time or money. It gets boring first day. Nobody seems to care or react to it. I even tried the fart noise on an in car order pickup person. No reaction at all. The way to activate it is not intuitive and easy. Driving in the parking lot trying to turn on a song is a mess in the menu. Then you arent even sure if it is playing outside because its also playing inside at the same time.

I want to like this feature but its not very good. I even tried some custom sounds from below. Still lost its fun really fast. Don't waste your money on this. Solitaire is actually the best feature of this update.
/QUOTE]

I don't know...I drove past a park yesterday with the ice cream truck sound playing and kids and mom's were whipping their heads around left and right to find the ice cream truck.

Y’all are really *******. This is such a pony trick just like summon. Do you see anyone summoning their cars anymore?
Ah, the old, "I don't use it so of course no one else does" argument :rolleyes:

I use (dumb) summon to pull my car out of my garage and put it away every single day.

I will on occasion use smart summon such as when I have a large amount of times that I would rather have the car come pick up rather than me carrying to the car or when standing outside a restaurant chatting with friends and use the time to bring the car to me or a couple of other things.

But I guess since YOU don't use Summon I should stop using it.

(moderator note: edited post as it quoted term I edited previously)

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on what I have gathered from multiple threads, here is what a retrofit would likely entail: You would need to have the HW3 computer with the later MCU. You would have to do a split tap connector to access the two unused pins on the MCU under the glove box which are used for the speaker. You would need to run a wiring harness forward for the speaker. You would need to find a way to mount the speaker.

Not trivial. And then there is the question if it would even work on a car that is not flagged with it from the factory...

@TomT - Any chance you can pull the threads you found this info on and supply to me via this thread/PM. I would be interested in giving this a try, know where the MCU is, but need to know which unused pins are eluded to above.

I too have a plug with 3 wires going into it that doesn't appear to be used for anything in my Oct 2018 build Model 3 Performance. With that said I don't think this was designed for the PWS based on the wiring diagram screenshot mentioned below (which illustrates only 2 wires going into that connector).

Attachments

• IMG_1964.jpeg
    IMG_1964.jpeg
    493.7 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_1963.jpeg
    IMG_1963.jpeg
    612.1 KB · Views: 222
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 1.03.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 1.03.44 PM.png
    252.4 KB · Views: 230
I tried it yesterday too and it was underwhelming. The fact that the sound plays inside as well as outside is annoying and it is pretty cumbersome to use. I wouldn't lose any sleep over not having this "feature".

Thats one of the best things I have read about this new "feature". If someone is trying to play an annoying sound outside the car they should have to listen to it too.