Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

External speaker retrofit to enable boombox on 2018 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too have a plug with 3 wires going into it that doesn't appear to be used for anything in my Oct 2018 build Model 3 Performance. With that said I don't think this was designed for the PWS based on the wiring diagram screenshot mentioned below (which illustrates only 2 wires going into that connector).

I think this plug might be for home link. I have that empty plug also and I have the speaker.

• Informative
Reactions: Autoxer7
I think this plug might be for home link. I have that empty plug also and I have the speaker.
nope. I have that plug and homelink. (06/19 build). Today was tinker with the car day. So changed my cabin air filters (25k was too long...eewwww). And checked for random spare plugs in the front end of the car. Oh and I washed it.

Attachments

• CBB697C5-9817-4193-89EE-0ACD18DF2355.jpeg
    CBB697C5-9817-4193-89EE-0ACD18DF2355.jpeg
    448.2 KB · Views: 257
nope. I have that plug and homelink. (06/19 build). Today was tinker with the car day. So changed my cabin air filters (25k was too long...eewwww). And checked for random spare plugs in the front end of the car. Oh and I washed it.

Did you take the frunk out to get to this or just the passenger wheel well area? I too have a 06/19 build but haven't gone to check for anything yet.

I tried it yesterday too and it was underwhelming. The fact that the sound plays inside as well as outside is annoying and it is pretty cumbersome to use. I wouldn't lose any sleep over not having this "feature".

My old Nissan Leaf backup beep was great. I can't believe Tesla still doesn't have a working way to implement this (separate front/rear speakers and settings would be appropriate).

-Brian

• Funny
Reactions: Maaz
Did you take the frunk out to get to this or just the passenger wheel well area? I too have a 06/19 build but haven't gone to check for anything yet.
That's under the frunk tub on the passenger side. My March 2018 car also has another unused connector under there on the driver side. It's possible that one of them could be repurposed for the speaker, but I doubt it.

Exactly, I have HomeLink as well so this plug is definitely not related to that. I was thinking maybe they left it for another radar unit or something like that but who knows.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Any step by step install of your w.a.s.p speaker system for the model 3 @HankLloydRight

Yes, for MS/MX here: https://ev-cpo.com/wasp/horn-instll.php -- I may attempt a video soon (I'm just not good with video stuff).

For M3/MY I don' have anything yet, as they don't have an OBDII port and different cars have different places to tap into an unswitched 12v source. I don't have a test car to develop a good install page or video. Also finding a place to mount the speaker is a little more challenging in M3/MY.

Yes, for MS/MX here: https://ev-cpo.com/wasp/horn-instll.php -- I may attempt a video soon (I'm just not good with video stuff).

For M3/MY I don' have anything yet, as they don't have an OBDII port and different cars have different places to tap into an unswitched 12v source. I don't have a test car to develop a good install page or video. Also finding a place to mount the speaker is a little more challenging in M3/MY.
Why don’t you reach out to a couple youtubers and send them a unit to install. I may be able to help you out if you want to. Dm me

Why don’t you reach out to a couple youtubers and send them a unit to install. I may be able to help you out if you want to. Dm me

I actually tried that several months ago. I sent out three demo units to three M3 owners who volunteered to help find and develop install procedures/photos/videos. Only one actually helped and that was to point to a couple of existing youtube videos on how to tap an unswitched 12v source for power, but no help on the actual WASP install and/or suitable speaker or GPS mounting locations. I'll DM you tomorrow.

Y’all are really *******. This is such a pony trick just like summon. Do you see anyone summoning their cars anymore?

(moderator note: edited out word reported as offensive, which I agreed with, rather than deleting or removing entire post).

FWIW I have summoned my car twice in the last few weeks. Basically playing with the feature both times, but still have done it. Might I suggest you take a daily vitamin NERD supplement. Once that is in your system you’ll enjoy things like summon and fart mode immensely. :)

Last edited:
My kids and I had some fun driving around the other night blasting Christmas music, but I have to agree this isn’t probably something I will use often. I think it will be fun for tailgating and similar activities when you are parked and want to listen to music but the horn thing is useless. If you are moving, it actually has to also honk the real horn, which is annoying. Also, having to turn it on every time is just not going to happen.

The sound is surprisingly good and when coupled with the car audio with the windows down it’s like party mode.

Last edited:
Well at some point I did some research on this. It seemed that
no EU cars got this. It started somewhere in the 2020 build. The story
was that Tesla would build 25-50% of the cars with the speaker to
get DOT off there backs. So this must have been in some 2019's as well.
A mind is for washing, now my lockdown beer is getting cold.

Mounting the speaker should be pretty easy. I've got a 2018 performance model 3 that I took delivery of in September 2018. I had a rat in my front bumper a few months after taking delivery that chewed through a lot of the wires in my front bumper. I took the bumper off to replace wires. There's definitely a place on the inside to mount a speaker. I seem to remember there being some wiring that didn't go to anything and I assumed it was for the speaker that wasn't there, although I could be misremembering.

Here's a photo that shows the speaker mounting spot, along with some rat-chewed wire, hair, and pee: IMG_20190111_171359.jpg

mmmm. thats rat urine all dried up in there!