Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

External speaker retrofit to enable boombox on 2018 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
would be interesting to see when the wiring harness change was made to add the new wiring.
I'm guessing when HW3 came in.
The switch occurred after HW3. My car has HW3.(unless I missed the wiring, which is possible, but not overly likely...I checked with the Car still on the ground just by removing the front of the RF wheel liner. There was no spare wiring where I’d expect it to be...maybe I missed it.

It will definitely have the plug for it. Federal regulations stated that 50% of the cars sold by the manufacturer had to have the PWS after September 2019. That increased to 100% after September 2020. So not all Teslas made after September 2019 but before September 2010 will have the speaker. But they all should have the wiring.

Interesting. Is it just the early model y that doesn't have the speaker?

Interesting. Is it just the early model y that doesn't have the speaker?
A very small number of the first Model Ys produced had speakers but Boombox currently isn't working on those. The majority built between March 2020 and August 2020 have the wiring but no speaker. Even if a speaker is added to one of the pre-wired Model Ys, Boombox currently isn't available on those cars.

no Boombox, no fun!
Okay, I gave a thumbs down to your post not because I disagree with it, but because you've provided ZERO information. Would you post, "My car won't move: how come?" No, you provide details. In this case (as @Huskyfan pointed out), the AGE of the car is a VERY important detail.

Also, have you read ANY of the posts about Boombox? There are LOTS of them.
External speaker retrofit to enable boombox on 2018 car?

A bunch more from a simple search

Umm that's the whole point

Ice cream truck sound blaring wherever you drive. People will be laughing. Already did this on a test drive in a new 3. It was amazing

I just want the ability to change the pedestrian warn sound to the jetsons spaceship. Is that so hard to ask? Why would I need the car to play anything outside while it's going 65mph on the highway? I just want it to play whatever I set at speeds under 25mph.

Apparently they now offer the retrofit as a service if your vehicle has the wiring: (So still not for a 2018.)

Pedestrian warning system speaker retrofits available for certain Model 3s made after July 5 2019 through September 9 2020 as this period represents the timing of when the wiring harness was included but not the speaker (all Model 3s built since early September 2020 have the speaker already installed) . Model Ys built before August 14 2020 also qualify.

I’m told the cost is $200US and must be done via service visit or mobile, not by the user as the car config must be updated by a tech in order for the car to recognize it.

Refer to Tesla SI-21-90-001 when you make an appointment to have it installed for reference.

Info from here.

Appreciate all the info but it looks like I will need to pull the Frunk to see if my M S has the wiring for the speaker.

Meanwhile, I re-partitioned my USB drive in the M Y and added 5 custom audio files. It works great! I have a Lambo revving and some robotic voice that says Hey" Move it. Get out of my way! Plus some other scifi sound effects. My grandkids will love this. :)

Reactions: Matsayz
I have an 18 which doesnt have the speaker. I would like to have it for two reasons. 1-sound so pedestrians can hear me approaching 2-To listen to radio or music while washing car or while I'm outside working (I operate a mobile PDR service). The latter can be done by placing the climate system in camp mode.

I have an 18 which doesnt have the speaker. I would like to have it for two reasons. 1-sound so pedestrians can hear me approaching 2-To listen to radio or music while washing car or while I'm outside working (I operate a mobile PDR service). The latter can be done by placing the climate system in camp mode.
Tesla won't retrofit that for you, but you can do it yourself like some of us have. The problem you might run into is that your service center may refuse to activate PWS/Boombox for you. Some got it activated for free, some paid (I paid for it), and recently it looks like at least one person can't get it activated no matter what Pedestrian Warning System (BoomBox) Retrofit For...

Yup just buy the speaker and the harness and do it yourself. Cross your finger you get a nice service center that’ll activate it for you. I did mine and it took a few tries with service

I thought I could use the external speaker to play music while detailing the car, etc. While you can, that speaker sounds terrible. A $25 bt speaker sounds much better.
Mine doesn't sound as bad as yours probably does. But that's because I used a 6.5" marine grade speaker instead of the OEM one 😄. But the best sound comes from just rolling the windows down and leaving one of the front doors ajar.