TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Extra air dam?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by scottm, May 11, 2015.

1. scottm

scottm Active Member

Anybody played with the idea of adding more front air dam, for improved aerodynamic efficiency / fuel economy?

You'll notice front wheel arch dams, I was thinking of extending a dam at that position all the way across underbelly. Straight across.

On low air suspension setting, having it clear the road by a couple inches, or one. Yes it will hit sometimes. But double sprung so it could bend back or forward (when reversing) if it contacts the road. In neutral position hanging nearly straight down. Replaceable cheap rub edge of some hard rubber-plastic. Adjustable / serviceable so it can be tacked up and held with a couple pins, if encountering really bumpy roads, snow.

2. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I would think you would be doing the exact opposite, and adding air resistance.
    The bottom of the car is flat.

3. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

@scottm:
    Just do it and report.

Less air under the car means less drag and more downforce.
    Car belly is flat but there are still suspension arms and 'rim-insides' that cause drag.

4. dpodoll

dpodoll Member

If this works Elon my offer you a job.