Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extra cable for NEMA 5-60 plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I‘ve ordered a model 3, supposedly due to arrive late June. I’m installing a 220 NEMA 5-60 plug in my garage. I would like to get another charging cable to leave in the garage. I know I need to get an adapter for the 5-60. Are there 3rd party cables available? Can I order just a cable from Tesla? Options? Thanks! Looking forward to my Model 3 long range!

You probably meant a 240v 6-50 outlet, but yes, you can just get a second UMC from Tesla for $275(but you need to add $35 for the 6-50 adapter).

You might want to note that with the current 30% federal tax credit, a Gen3 HPWC at $500 would effectively cost you $350, and between the $275 and $35, the UMC solution is $310. I'm not sure if the UMC would qualify for the tax credit. Don't forget to check for state and utility incentives as well.

The UMC will be limited to 32 amp charging, while the HPWC with correct wiring could do 48 amps.

Reactions: jjrandorin
A few thoughts here:
There is no 5-60 (or at least they are so rare that no normal person has ever seen one). I think you mean 6-50.

I definitely would not buy a second mobile charging cable.
Option 1: You probably don't need to buy anything or keep a cable in the car all the time. That is only to plug into outlets. Any kind of charging stations don't even use that. And it would be really odd to just magically find yourself teleported way out of town and not near any kind of charging without you having decided to go on a trip, where you would have decided to go ahead and take the cable with you on purpose for that trip.
Option 2: If you do need to buy an extra something, I agree with @Sophias_dad that a wall connector as a supplemental thing to go with your mobile charging cable is a better choice.

As to are there 3rd party cables? Well, for the main charging cable, no, that's basically from Tesla. But if you are talking the little changeable adapter plugs for it, yes, there is a really good company called EVSEAdapters.com that makes adapter plugs for many different kinds of outlets that Tesla doesn't sell. So if there is some weird outlet type you would need to use, you could buy an adapter plug from them.

Reactions: jjrandorin
You probably meant a 240v 6-50 outlet, but yes, you can just get a second UMC from Tesla for $275(but you need to add $35 for the 6-50 adapter).

You might want to note that with the current 30% federal tax credit, a Gen3 HPWC at $500 would effectively cost you $350, and between the $275 and $35, the UMC solution is $310. I'm not sure if the UMC would qualify for the tax credit. Don't forget to check for state and utility incentives as well.

The UMC will be limited to 32 amp charging, while the HPWC with correct wiring could do 48 amps.
Yes, I meant 6-50. I’ll plan to get the HPWC at some point, the big issue where I live is just pinning down an electrician to do the basic electrical installation. The housing market is crazy.

A few thoughts here:
There is no 5-60 (or at least they are so rare that no normal person has ever seen one). I think you mean 6-50.

I definitely would not buy a second mobile charging cable.
Option 1: You probably don't need to buy anything or keep a cable in the car all the time. That is only to plug into outlets. Any kind of charging stations don't even use that. And it would be really odd to just magically find yourself teleported way out of town and not near any kind of charging without you having decided to go on a trip, where you would have decided to go ahead and take the cable with you on purpose for that trip.
Option 2: If you do need to buy an extra something, I agree with @Sophias_dad that a wall connector as a supplemental thing to go with your mobile charging cable is a better choice.

As to are there 3rd party cables? Well, for the main charging cable, no, that's basically from Tesla. But if you are talking the little changeable adapter plugs for it, yes, there is a really good company called EVSEAdapters.com that makes adapter plugs for many different kinds of outlets that Tesla doesn't sell. So if there is some weird outlet type you would need to use, you could buy an adapter plug from them.
Thanks, you make a great point about the second cable. I travel a good bit but plan to use chargers and superchargers that are already in place and available where I go.

I agree with the second cable as well, I've had an EV since 2017 and up until recently, carried a Level 1 charger in my car just in case. I never used it so it lives in the garage unless I'm going to stay overnight somewhere.

If you want the 6-50 outlet now and a Wall Connector later, you can always buy a 6-50 plug/cable and pigtail the Wall Connector at a later date too. I had a 14-50 in my garage for my old Nissan Leaf and added a pigtail on my Wall Connector so I could still use the 14-50 if I needed to run something at 240v.

Attachments

• IMG_2334.jpg
    IMG_2334.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 119
I agree with the second cable as well, I've had an EV since 2017 and up until recently, carried a Level 1 charger in my car just in case. I never used it so it lives in the garage unless I'm going to stay overnight somewhere.

If you want the 6-50 outlet now and a Wall Connector later, you can always buy a 6-50 plug/cable and pigtail the Wall Connector at a later date too. I had a 14-50 in my garage for my old Nissan Leaf and added a pigtail on my Wall Connector so I could still use the 14-50 if I needed to run something at 240v.
I hadn’t thought of the pigtail option. Thanks

Reactions: StoicKiwi
Well, a lot of people say, "Here, do this! It's fine!", but I will never recommend that. NEC says you need to follow the installation instructions for the appliance, and adding a plug and cord to what is specified as a hard-wired device is not following the installation instructions, so it technically a code violation.

• Informative
Reactions: StoicKiwi
Well, a lot of people say, "Here, do this! It's fine!", but I will never recommend that. NEC says you need to follow the installation instructions for the appliance, and adding a plug and cord to what is specified as a hard-wired device is not following the installation instructions, so it technically a code violation.
Good catch on that, I just checked out 422.16(A) in the NEC 2017 and you're absolutely correct. Thanks for that!

that's what my plan is. I negotiated a 14-50 in my garage with my rooftop solar people. The outlet is not where i need it but i am going to run a Wall Connector with a 30' 6/3 'pigtail' to the wall charger location next to where I park the Model3

that's what my plan is. I negotiated a 14-50 in my garage with my rooftop solar people. The outlet is not where i need it but i am going to run a Wall Connector with a 30' 6/3 'pigtail' to the wall charger location next to where I park the Model3
You do you, but you should know that the 30 foot 'pigtail' on a wall charger is not up to code. You can run surface conduit from the existing location to the desired location and hard wire it. That would be completely legal if you use the proper size wire.

You do you, but you should know that the 30 foot 'pigtail' on a wall charger is not up to code. You can run surface conduit from the existing location to the desired location and hard wire it. That would be completely legal if you use the proper size wire.
probably Not to code but not any different from Running a 30ft RV or Welder extension cable and plugging in a Mobile charger. Circuit will be 50 amp and the pigtail will be 6/3 SOOW surface mounted over the garage door to the other side to the wall connector. my vehicle is M3 AWD LR so max current is 40 amp. When the guys do the install I will see how they are doing it and how much more to put the 14-50 where i need it. The Jumper is the backup plan.