Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extra charging cable for Model Y, Gen 1, 2 or 3 for Nema 5-15?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you! I looked at the URL.
I can only use 120V where I'm at. Is there any faster (Gen 1 or 3)?
"2-3 miles of range per hour" is soooo slow.

NOTE: Excuse the repost. I'm getting use to posting on this forum. The use of quotes requires a bit of practice. It would also be nice to be able to edit existing posts.

The plug on the end is removable and you can purchase adapters for higher wattage outlets.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Since the Mobile Connector comes with the car already and you probably do not have the outlets installed already, you can get the wall connector installed by an electrician. Then you have the extra adapter and the nice looking wall unit, for about $200 more than a duplicate mobile connector.

I can only use 120V where I'm at. Is there any faster (Gen 1 or 3)?
"2-3 miles of range per hour" is soooo slow.
The connector doesn't make the charging speed. It is basically a cord with some safety electronics to determine when it is safe to close the switch and make the connection. So if you are plugging into a 120V 15A outlet, the type of cord doesn't make any difference. That's just passing the electrical line into the car. It's the car's onboard charger that processes it and converts it to DC electricity to charge the battery.

But that being said, 2-3 miles per hour isn't right. Tesla has had an error in their charge speed tables on their website ever since the Model 3 came out, and it sounds like they are perpetuating it with the Model Y. The old large, slow, heavy, inefficient Model S gets 3 miles per hour from a 120V 15A outlet. When the Model 3 came out, they repeated that 3 miles per hour number (wrong), even though all of the other numbers for higher power circuits showed faster charging--which they should for a more efficient vehicle. The Model 3 gets pretty solid 5 miles per hour from that outlet, and the Model Y should be pretty close to that.