Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extra range estimation while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M1tch

2021 M3P with EAP
Nov 16, 2021
Gloucester, England
Not seen this before….

A7731B26-FDC3-4367-8F3A-8AD5F7E531E7.jpeg

At the 75 mile point the range estimate jumps a few percent before declining again. This is a normal trip I do almost weekly to a SC on the M4. Any idea what it could be? I’ve cancelled the trip, re-entered it and it’s come back the same.

unless there is a massive downhill section.

Graph a bit vertical for that I think?! "Turn right onto cliff-face road" :cool:

to a SC on the M4

My thought was that this could be pre-condition, for supercharger, turning off at that point. But I dunno why that would be in the prediction, that sort of "recovery" is possible if you redo the journey to "nearby" instead of to the Supercharger. Might be a side effect of some improvements being made to the algorithm that determines when / how much pre-condition to apply - there have been plenty of recent reports that it has been starting (too?) early and opinion has been that that looks more like a bug than an improvement

Try zooming in on SC location and "navigate to" somewhere else nearby and see if arrival prediction is different (higher would indicate the amount of pre-condition that is predicted), and whether that too has a fall-off-a-cliff on the route ...

Might be incorrect altitude data in the SatNav route calculation data

It's definitely not a steep downhill. No way regen could recoup that much energy that quickly. I've only ever seen that before when I've charged and it's altered the map, but of course that was post charge and reflecting what really happened.

Graph a bit vertical for that I think?! "Turn right onto cliff-face road" :cool:
It's definitely not a steep downhill. No way regen could recoup that much energy that quickly. I've only ever seen that before when I've charged and it's altered the map, but of course that was post charge and reflecting what really happened.

It looks like a 90mile trip. That drop is probably a good mile or two.

Would be nice to see the Google Maps elevation profile of the route.

Here's a drive I did earlier:

View attachment 793445

Notice how I end up with more range than I started with. All thanks to gravity.
In the OPs post the increase looks sharper as his trip is a lot longer than mine.
Brilliant! I have never managed to drive for the best part of half an hour and ended up with more range than I started with! I would love to know that route.

Not seen this before….

View attachment 793325
At the 75 mile point the range estimate jumps a few percent before declining again. This is a normal trip I do almost weekly to a SC on the M4. Any idea what it could be? I’ve cancelled the trip, re-entered it and it’s come back the same.
I "think" its because:

You are plugged in charging, and the graph is recalculating your final destination % - its a bug that does this to the graph while charging, and been there since day 1 for me (2019 M3). the line will keep going up while you charge.

Have you tried going into the -25% yet? LOL

I "think" its because:

You are plugged in charging, and the graph is recalculating your final destination % - its a bug that does this to the graph while charging, and been there since day 1 for me (2019 M3). the line will keep going up while you charge.
If it was for charging then isn't that a legitimate graphing representation rather than a bug?

Reactions: andyf1140
I have never managed to drive for the best part of half an hour and ended up with more range than I started with!

I've come down the hill from skiing in the Alps a number of times. Never managed to get the battery warm enough (before departure) for full regen before I started, and regen has always decreased during the decent :(

So best I have had a half hour decent was about 2% gain.

Here's an example where we drove down the valley, and back up again, to "the other valley". Car was parked outside overnight, I expect it was blinking cold overnight, -1C when we left at 09:15. When we got there we charged, in underground carpark, at 16AMP for a couple of hours before return - so return should have had warmer battery - but even that trip Regen reduced part way, and needed some friction brakes. No Battery Temperature available in TeslaFi

Looks like on the return trip we gained 4% over 14 mile decent and 4,000 metre drop

Morning - outbound - Les Menuires to Courchevel 1850

MenuireToCourcheval.gif

Return - that afternoon - - Courchevel 1850 to Les Menuires

CourchevalToMenuire.gif

Reactions: init6
I "think" its because:

I "think" (can't remember for 100% sure!) that when that happens there is the original grey line (probably showing predicted arrival as negative as it was at that point in time) and a new prediction line (much like the "actual" when driving a journey) which is the same profile, but keeps moving up. Once that shows destination prediction at, say, 10% I set off ... and then I get a new graph without the original start-of-charge prediction line

The trip computer now takes temperature into account. It's possible that its map of the UK is quite granular and at that point in your journey the temperature increases noticeably in its model, which gives a greater predicted range from that point.
Wouldn't it just take the temperature reading directly from the car ambient temp sensor rather than a mapped value?

But anyway, even if it was using some mapped temperature value (which I doubt) it would be the grey line that would jump up (or more accurately reduce its slope gradient), not the real-time battery percentage. It looks to me like the car has (for whatever reason) suddenly re-calculated it's real-time battery percentage and added approx. 5% to the previous calculated value. Can't say I've ever seen this in my 4+ years of Tesla driving. You are not going to get this kind of sudden step-change from re-gen whilst driving.

On second glance ignore what I said above. I see that you are at the start of your journey and it's just adding a splash-and-dash charging stop. Does it show that on the Nav?

Last edited:
Reactions: Adopado
Wouldn't it just take the temperature reading directly from the car ambient temp sensor rather than a mapped value?

I think it would be the pack temperature rather than ambient. Perhaps if the pack temperature is only sampled every so often and its rise in temperature is only registered at that point then it could show a jump ... and funny that we're not seeing this regularly on charts (but as you said later on it looks like a splash and dash charging session).

even if it was using some mapped temperature value (which I doubt)

Supposedly - based on press reports (March 2022 version 2022.8.2) - not that that necessarily means anything of course and looks like it is based on what a hacker found in the update, and perhaps only for China, and not temperature (that I remember seeing) but rather cross/headwinds, air density and humidity ...

Tesla is starting to account for wind, air density, and more when doing range calculation

I would have thought that temperature extremes and wet roads would be of more significance

it's just adding a splash-and-dash charging stop. Does it show that on the Nav?

I thought that Consumption Trip screen only showed UNTIL the next charging stop? are there circumstances where it shows whole-journey?