Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extra range estimation while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brilliant! I have never managed to drive for the best part of half an hour and ended up with more range than I started with! I would love to know that route.
From Glasgow (ish) to Strathaven. The bump at the start is the road up to East Kilbride. From then on it's mostly downhill to Strathaven. Throw in a few 30mph zones and your energy bar is almost always green.

Here's another route (EK to Loch Lomond) that has regen blips. Only 30 miles so not as compressed as the OPs, but look at the blip near the end of route
energy.jpg

Obviously if you want to go home again the graphs are less desirable. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Adopado
Sorry, should have said it's not just elevation. If you're coming down a big hill at 70 mph and into a 30mph zone, then you will get a lot of regen. Here's a 5 mile section of the first journey. Look at how much regen (negative energy use) I get coming down the hill.

Screenshot 2022-04-14 at 13.58.07.png

The trip computer now takes temperature into account. It's possible that its map of the UK is quite granular and at that point in your journey the temperature increases noticeably in its model, which gives a greater predicted range from that point.
I’m using the M4 in Wales, it never gets above 15 degrees - with a wind chill - and rain - it’s always freezing 😂😂😂

Not seen this before….

View attachment 793325
At the 75 mile point the range estimate jumps a few percent before declining again. This is a normal trip I do almost weekly to a SC on the M4. Any idea what it could be? I’ve cancelled the trip, re-entered it and it’s come back the same.
I’ve noticed the same thing on my 2020 M3LR in the last week on 2 long journeys, a strange vertical blip exactly like this. It was my first trip with roof box attached, so was watching Energy screen extremely carefully to make sure I was going to make my supercharger stops. One leg was suggesting I was going to get there with less than 4%, with the graph showing the expected gradual loss below the grey line, so I backed off from 70 to 65mph with about 50 miles to go and when checking a little while later found this strange jump in the graph, up by about 8% from original estimate, and showing at some point in the future well before my current position.
A few days later we had the same thing happen on a long stretch. I think it must be a bug in the system (2022.8.2), just updated to 2022.8.2.5 so will see if there is any difference and will examine the circumstances at the time far more carefully.

We had it today. It’s not a charger stop, we had it when on the way to a supercharger today. The end of the graph matched the prediction for charger arrival. This was before then on the graph. Maybe it relates to preconditioning warming the battery therefore increasing effective range. But that should not happen instantly. Looks like a bug wherever it is.

The line going up could be a downhill section, but there are two lines. I’ve always understood the one is the cars prediction for the journey taking into account elevation, speed etc, and the second is your actual progress which is also extrapolated forward on the same basis. A future downhill section with good regen would, I think, show an upward kink on both lines, not just one, which is what init6’s shows. Something between the ‘all things being normal’ and ‘your actual journey’ lines is different, so it does look odd

What soc percentage/range do people see it happen, and/or distance from the destination? Looks like 20% on the image which might be relevant. I’m thinking if it is preconditioning or actual soc changing how the car behaves that might do something whereas the baseline trend ignores them.

On a similar theme though, my available range has jumped around a bit in use, I’m a miles man (let’s not have the “show %” debate, fairly sure the same would happen anyway) in that it might just lose 7 or 8 miles suddenly then get a few back 3 miles later and be back where I’d expect. Only had this car 3 weeks so it’s too early to tell if I’ve imagined it but I hadn’t experienced it on my previous 3 Teslas over nearly 7 years.

Last edited:
On a similar theme though, my available range has jumped around a bit in use, I’m a miles man (let’s not have the “show %” debate, fairly sure the same would happen anyway) in that it might just lose 7 or 8 miles suddenly then get a few back 3 miles later and be back where I’d expect. Only had this car 3 weeks so it’s too early to tell if I’ve imagined it but I hadn’t experienced it on my previous 3 Teslas over nearly 7 years.
You’ll be reassured that I see this occasionally on percentage setting too! Recently for me it seems related to temperature changes, either as the pack warms due to different night/day temperatures or warming through usage.

And today, exact same journey plan, from the same parking spot and no huge jump. My SoC is different but that’s about it. Possibly a bug. I’ll have a look in a few weeks when I next drive it.

View attachment 794027
Comparing the two, the first happens at around 20% SoC. maybe if you have the same situation again you could do the same, especially if 20% appears at a different spot on the trace