Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extra UMC in Garage & ready to go...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I didn't order the HPWC but did get a 2nd UMC and the cable holder/bracket. Worked fine along with some help from industrial strength velcro! Pretty strong stable stuff. Bracket is in dry wall expanders of course.

Now just a week or so to go...
[WIKI]View attachment 83264[/WIKI]

FWIW Travwill this does not look like a mess to me at all. In fact, much more organized than, say, mounting HPWC on trellis with exposed flexible conduit.

Please consider also listing your location on PlugShare.com. Larry and the Florida group provide a great service for those IN the group. But travelers from out-of-state are probably more in need & wouldn't have access to the spreadsheet. I'm on PlugShare and I've met some great EV owners over the last several years.

Good suggestion - will do. I see plugshare for the J1772 and the like plugs. It's not like a Volt, Leaf, or other non-Tesla can come use my plug. My Voltec J1772 is on plugshare already though Bonnie!

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking of getting a HPWC, set the switches at 40A (single charger, 50A breaker), and wiring a 14-50 plug on it. It would stay in the garage, leaving my UMC in the car, and leaving me with a spare. (2 failures in the 1st year.)

I am wondering if the heavier wire of the HPWC connector will have less voltage drop than the UMC seems to have. (The UMC cord does get a little warm at 40A.) If not, I may end up just getting another UMC set.

I was VERY surprised at how heavy the wiring is on the HPWC - but that's in case you are running at 80 amps. I am thrilled to have this installed. I'm going to pick up a loaner from the store for an hour or so tonight just to test it. I asked a couple of friends, but they were out of town or too busy, or (more likely perhaps) didn't want to be the guinea pig on my new charger since I wired it all myself! :)

I was thinking of getting a HPWC, set the switches at 40A (single charger, 50A breaker), and wiring a 14-50 plug on it. It would stay in the garage, leaving my UMC in the car, and leaving me with a spare. (2 failures in the 1st year.)

I am wondering if the heavier wire of the HPWC connector will have less voltage drop than the UMC seems to have. (The UMC cord does get a little warm at 40A.) If not, I may end up just getting another UMC set.

This is what I did for the exact same reason (plus it looks cool). Works perfectly. Charges at 30mph.

attachment.php?attachmentid=76444&d=1427754415.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

UMC comes with the car. HPWC costs 750 more plus installation.
UMC and HPWC look about equally attractive.
UMC and HPWC charge at the same rate if you have single charger or 50 amp circuit.
And a 14-50 can be used for other kinds of chargers also, not tesla exclusive. HPWC is tesla only

Some say UMC is not as durable. I can't imagine why, if you leave it in the garage all the time.
UMC I guess someone could unplug and steal if your car isn't there. HPWC is more mounted.

My point is, if your use case is charge in a garage with a single charger, I see no advantage going the HPWC route.

One of your statements is incorrect. See my pic above. The HPWC can be wired to plug into a 14/50 outlet thus leaving the option of using the outlet for other purposes.

Racerx22b - Nice photo, I like that setup.

By any chance do you ever watch the voltage as the amperes ramp up? With my UMC the voltage drops by about 10 by the time it gets to 40A. I'm not positive where the drop is, but I suspect a substantial amount is in the UMC cable.

By any chance do you ever watch the voltage as the amperes ramp up? With my UMC the voltage drops by about 10 by the time it gets to 40A. I'm not positive where the drop is, but I suspect a substantial amount is in the UMC cable.

I was amazed at how thick the HPWC cables were - but I guess that's so it can supply 80 amps if dual charger. i watched the amps ramp right up to 40 yesterday with my test car and it was full in like 10 minutes. MUCH faster than my Volt charger (actually 3 times as fast as my 3.3 kw charger on the Volt)

Can't say that I have but it charges consistently at 30mph. Never seen it fluctuate. I will charge it tonight after dinner and check on it after it's been going awhile to see where it's at.