Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extra UMC in Garage & ready to go...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I didn't order the HPWC but did get a 2nd UMC and the cable holder/bracket. Worked fine along with some help from industrial strength velcro! Pretty strong stable stuff. Bracket is in dry wall expanders of course.

Now just a week or so to go...
[WIKI]
IMG_0492.JPG
[/WIKI]

I'm happy for you, but looking at that picture, are you still happy you saved the whole $100 and didn't get the HPWC?

I'd like to know too.

I'm planning on having a warehouse setup with charging and am considering going either 4 UMCs or 4 HPWCs.

There is only 200A available so I doubt we'll be able to use the full potential of the hpwc, also a bit more permanent considering it'll be a leased warehouse

I'm happy for you, but looking at that picture, are you still happy you saved the whole $100 and didn't get the HPWC?

IMHO the HPWC is such a cleaner install. That looks like a mess. Sorry.

UMC comes with the car. HPWC costs 750 more plus installation.
UMC and HPWC look about equally attractive.
UMC and HPWC charge at the same rate if you have single charger or 50 amp circuit.
And a 14-50 can be used for other kinds of chargers also, not tesla exclusive. HPWC is tesla only

Some say UMC is not as durable. I can't imagine why, if you leave it in the garage all the time.
UMC I guess someone could unplug and steal if your car isn't there. HPWC is more mounted.

My point is, if your use case is charge in a garage with a single charger, I see no advantage going the HPWC route.

Last edited:
UMC comes with the car. HPWC costs 750 more plus installation.
UMC and HPWC look about equally attractive.
UMC and HPWC charge at the same rate if you have single charger or 50 amp circuit.
And a 14-50 can be used for other kinds of chargers also, not tesla exclusive. HPWC is tesla only

Some say UMC is not as durable. I can't imagine why, if you leave it in the garage all the time.
UMC I guess someone could unplug and steal if your car isn't there. HPWC is more mounted.

My point is, if your use case is charge in a garage with a single charger, I see no advantage going the HPWC route.

Kuttakamina, the OP bought a SECOND UMC - hence my comment about the $100 (not $750). My install will be outside, unsecured, so I'm really forced to go with the HPWC. I don't want my UMC walking off.

But, the wiring and cord storage is just so much cleaner on the HPWC. I'll post pix later this week once I'm done with my install. HPWC should be here tomorrow. cs

Kuttakamina, the OP bought a SECOND UMC - hence my comment about the $100 (not $750). My install will be outside, unsecured, so I'm really forced to go with the HPWC. I don't want my UMC walking off.

But, the wiring and cord storage is just so much cleaner on the HPWC. I'll post pix later this week once I'm done with my install. HPWC should be here tomorrow. cs

Looking forward to the pictures :) .. I still don't know if HPWC is cleaner, but sure, surprise me :)

Not meaning to read minds, but... OPs setup perfect for someone with single charger and 14-50 at home who also frequently has to bring UMC to charge at other locations. One UMC stays at home, other lives in trunk.

True, it works but some just decided that an extra $100 is worth it for the permanent install look of a HPWC. I am in the exact same boat. I want a UMC in the car at all times, and only have a single charger. So instead of spending $650 on another UMC, I spent $750 on a HPWC and I leave the original UMC in the car. I went ahead and had the electrician hook it up to a 100AMP breaker, so I have the option of adding a second on board charger in the future if I see the need arise, and I don't have to do any retrofitting at home (just flip a couple of dip switches)

True, it works but some just decided that an extra $100 is worth it for the permanent install look of a HPWC. I am in the exact same boat. I want a UMC in the car at all times, and only have a single charger. So instead of spending $650 on another UMC, I spent $750 on a HPWC and I leave the original UMC in the car. I went ahead and had the electrician hook it up to a 100AMP breaker, so I have the option of adding a second on board charger in the future if I see the need arise, and I don't have to do any retrofitting at home (just flip a couple of dip switches)

OP's set-up has the added benefit that if his first UMC fails (which it will, apparently), he can temporarily carry the garage UMC with him while his replacement is in the mail.

If you already have the HPWC on a 100 Amp breaker, then why not set the DIP switches to the 100 Amp breaker/80 Amp charging setting. The car with a single charger will only draw 40 Amps, but if another Tesla owner shows up with dual chargers shows up or if you get dual chargers, 80 Amps will just work without having to open the cover on the HPWC.

With #4 wire, you could put in an 80 Amp breaker, set the DIP's for 80A-breaker/64A-charging, and be ready for dual chargers or dual charger friends... :biggrin:

Cottonwood, Good point. My main breaker is only a 150 amp service and I've already got a subpanel for my Volt charger, stove, and pump station. So, I was a little nervous putting in the 100 amp breaker under the 150 main. (Plus, I'm not getting the dual chargers) But, the #6 was 74 cents per LF and # 4 was 75 cents per LF. I spent the extra 90 cents to the 90 ft!

Looks good. I know where to stop by for some emergency juice now.

You, and anyone else, are welcome to stop. I "registered" it with our Florida Tesla Enthusiasts group. We have almost 100 of these "emergency" locations and they are all on a spreadsheet that you can link to from the car! Larry Chanin is our fearless leader and has done a fantastic job organizing our state group!

You, and anyone else, are welcome to stop. I "registered" it with our Florida Tesla Enthusiasts group. We have almost 100 of these "emergency" locations and they are all on a spreadsheet that you can link to from the car! Larry Chanin is our fearless leader and has done a fantastic job organizing our state group!

Please consider also listing your location on PlugShare.com. Larry and the Florida group provide a great service for those IN the group. But travelers from out-of-state are probably more in need & wouldn't have access to the spreadsheet. I'm on PlugShare and I've met some great EV owners over the last several years.

I was thinking of getting a HPWC, set the switches at 40A (single charger, 50A breaker), and wiring a 14-50 plug on it. It would stay in the garage, leaving my UMC in the car, and leaving me with a spare. (2 failures in the 1st year.)

I am wondering if the heavier wire of the HPWC connector will have less voltage drop than the UMC seems to have. (The UMC cord does get a little warm at 40A.) If not, I may end up just getting another UMC set.