Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extreme Cold Weather Range Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I may have erred on the last wh/mi. Driving yesterday in similar weather I realized the last time I looked at the screen I may have looked to the right instead of left - 264 was likely the estimated mile range, not wh/mi consumption. I was in heavy traffic and only glanced at it momentarily…

piggy back question.

Going to soccer coaches convention In KC next week. deciding if I take the Model Y (LR) or if I do how to approach it. We already did the trip in November... it was precarious (for my wife who has some range anxiety), because we left after work with less than full charge. She gets tweaky when the arrival percentage is under 20% lol but this is an argument we have about the gas tank too... sooo.... :) It was 40 degrees.

Iowa/MO not the most friendly EV places....BUT we do have the SC next door in mt. Pleasant, IA, partially on the way... Next SC is Bethany, MO, @ 189 miles. this time, Its going to be 10-15 degrees F.

So, considering all that, plus Ill be charged to full this time, Do I stop 10 miles from home and charge BACK to full? or do I drive conservatively to bethany, MO? note: its about 50-50 Iowa two lane, so sub-65mph.

How big is the range loss from 40f to 15f?

Tesla says stop and charge to full early. This stop is 10 miles from home and usually takes maybe 5% battery and bothers me lol

Just charge to 100% before you leave. The 10 mile stop is too close to home, you would be charging with more than 90% and it would take too long to get to 100%. To reach the Bethany MO Supercharger (SC) just watch your speed (greatest power usage.) Start out at between 60 and 65 MPH. When you arer half way you can judge whether you need to hold down your speed for the remainder of the trip or can speed up slightly knowing that you can reach the Bethany SC.

Check the tire pressure before you leave. If you have not reset the tire pressure it is probably several pounds low due to the lower temperatures.

The impact of the colder temperatures is measurable. The following range and temperature curves were generated for a Model S, Model X. Although the Model Y has a heat pump the general shape of the curves would be similar.

Tesla Range Plotted Relative To Speed & Temperature (Graphs)

Reactions: Peelz
What if you blocked off the vents for the radiator like we do on ICE vehicles in the winter. Something like this with panels that can be opened.
1642105821018.png

What if you blocked off the vents for the radiator like we do on ICE vehicles in the winter. Something like this with panels that can be opened.
View attachment 755321
This would do nothing. The Tesla Model Y can control the flow of coolant to the radiator as required. In an ICE vehicle excess engine heat warms the engine coolant. When the thermostat reaches the proper temperature the coolant flows into the radiator. In the Tesla Model Y there is no waste heat (at least not in winter.) Heat sources include the battery pack (while driving or charging) and the onboard computers. If the battery pack gets too cold the Tesla Model Y will use the front and rear motor stators to generate some heat for the battery. The warmed coolant will enter the battery and then can be used to help warm the passenger cabin. It is unlikely that any coolant is circulating through the radiator at sub zero winter temperatures.

• Informative
Reactions: boulder.dude
Just charge to 100% before you leave. The 10 mile stop is too close to home, you would be charging with more than 90% and it would take too long to get to 100%. To reach the Bethany MO Supercharger (SC) just watch your speed (greatest power usage.) Start out at between 60 and 65 MPH. When you arer half way you can judge whether you need to hold down your speed for the remainder of the trip or can speed up slightly knowing that you can reach the Bethany SC.

Check the tire pressure before you leave. If you have not reset the tire pressure it is probably several pounds low due to the lower temperatures.

The impact of the colder temperatures is measurable. The following range and temperature curves were generated for a Model S, Model X. Although the Model Y has a heat pump the general shape of the curves would be similar.

Tesla Range Plotted Relative To Speed & Temperature (Graphs)

thank you for this post. and, That chart excellently communicates how I'm trying to explain it to my Mrs. Who, again, has range anxiety when the mileages get "out there" And I am a hypermiling motorcyclist who runs tanks well past the light lol

Much of it is she loves her car and doesn't want me to hurt it. :) Cant blame her.

The first 60 miles or so is 55mph 2 lane. We left last time from the SC near us @ 92% and made it to Bethany SC at 13 I think, but I didnt really try, and went quickly.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
thank you for this post. and, That chart excellently communicates how I'm trying to explain it to my Mrs. Who, again, has range anxiety when the mileages get "out there" And I am a hypermiling motorcyclist who runs tanks well past the light lol

Much of it is she loves her car and doesn't want me to hurt it. :) Cant blame her.

The first 60 miles or so is 55mph 2 lane. We left last time from the SC near us @ 92% and made it to Bethany SC at 13 I think, but I didnt really try, and went quickly.
Don't forget to precondition for at least 30 minutes while plugged in before you start your trip. Set the HVAC to a comfortable setting somewhere around 70F to 72F. I recommend using the Auto setting for the HVAC and the seat heaters. If you turn on Recirculate Cabin Air watch out for window fogging. You will need to turn off Recirculate if the windows start to fog up. Bring an ice scraper and a snow brush. The headlights don't generate enough heat to melt accumulated snow and ice.

You should bring the Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter to use any level 2 public charging station. You may want to bring the Tesla Mobile Connector kit w/ NEMA 5-15 plug adapter and an extension cord (12 gauge, not over 100 ft.) if you think you might be able to plug in overnight.

Don't forget to precondition for at least 30 minutes while plugged in before you start your trip. Set the HVAC to a comfortable setting somewhere around 70F to 72F. I recommend using the Auto setting for the HVAC and the seat heaters. If you turn on Recirculate Cabin Air watch out for window fogging. You will need to turn off Recirculate if the windows start to fog up. Bring an ice scraper and a snow brush. The headlights don't generate enough heat to melt accumulated snow and ice.

You should bring the Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter to use any level 2 public charging station. You may want to bring the Tesla Mobile Connector kit w/ NEMA 5-15 plug adapter and an extension cord (12 gauge, not over 100 ft.) if you think you might be able to plug in overnight.

Beauty thanks for the first part tips.

Already on board with the second. There's a chargepoint near the place I might use. At least there was when we were down there. Pretty handy.

piggy back question.

Going to soccer coaches convention In KC next week. deciding if I take the Model Y (LR) or if I do how to approach it. We already did the trip in November... it was precarious (for my wife who has some range anxiety), because we left after work with less than full charge. She gets tweaky when the arrival percentage is under 20% lol but this is an argument we have about the gas tank too... sooo.... :) It was 40 degrees.

Iowa/MO not the most friendly EV places....BUT we do have the SC next door in mt. Pleasant, IA, partially on the way... Next SC is Bethany, MO, @ 189 miles. this time, Its going to be 10-15 degrees F.

So, considering all that, plus Ill be charged to full this time, Do I stop 10 miles from home and charge BACK to full? or do I drive conservatively to bethany, MO? note: its about 50-50 Iowa two lane, so sub-65mph.

How big is the range loss from 40f to 15f?

Tesla says stop and charge to full early. This stop is 10 miles from home and usually takes maybe 5% battery and bothers me lol
~261 wH/mile @ 65 mph peak - 40F
~360 wH/mile @ 65 mph peak - 10-15F
Delta of 99wH/mile or 38% loss in range. Making this likely a bit of an over estimate due to cold travel dangers.
20+ mph Head wind take another 11% off
snow and ice take another 21% off

• Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam
@rexki @jcanoe

figured Id update... didnt take the Tesla.

I spent a TON Of time mapping and calculating. Down to the wind direction..... and i kept coming up with 195-222 miles. Being that I had someone with me and we had a time constraint for a seminar, I balked at last minute and took my son's VW.

Kinda bummed, of course, but the charge network just isn't there in central/rural MO.. Could also use one in Osceola, IA on 35....

If I was alone and could have been on my own schedule, Id have gone.

but, no "outs" should I have gotten it wrong.