Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extreme Vampire Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, once you enable sentry mode, the car alarm goes back on even if you had it off beforehand and also uses some miles/kWh.
Not sure if you mean this thread I started, but try turning everything off in there and double check it. Also, change the Tesla login password just to be sure and restart the car by holding the two buttons and break pedal for a good minute until a T comes up. You have to be in Park.

Tesla Model 3 Vampire Drain (aka loosing mileage when stationary)

Thanks for the suggestion. I rebooted the system this evening, we'll see how it does overnight and tomorrow.

I’m experiencing the same thing on my LR RWD (VIN 94xx), and up til V10, I’ve never experienced vampire drain. I don’t use teslafi, or any other 3rd party apps. I charged my car to 211 miles yesterday afternoon, and with no driving, was down to 188 miles just now (maybe 24 hours). I’ll have to do more accurate measurements, but even as a gross estimate, this is terrible. Love V10, but hope they fix this fast.

Reactions: St☰v☰
Hmm. So I wanted to see if my car was suffering from same type of vampire drain and now I think I may have a similar issue haha o_O:D

I went 256 to 213 in roughly 12 hours of no driving, no sentry mode entries, and no checking the app. I will do another test with turning off advanced software and sentry mode to see if the same thing happens.

Ok, new report, and I hope it isn't a little premature. But, after rebooting on Sunday (it didn't need charging), last night I charged it to 90% and it shut off at 216 and no more vampire drain, which I assume is due to the clove of garlic I placed in the center console. I will try again tonight and see what I get.

Screenshot_Tesla.jpg

Let me just rant for a moment. When I get an update on my home PC and/or laptop, if the update requires a reboot, the engineers at Microsoft have built in an algorithm that tells the system to reboot to ensure the update is effectively integrated. With all the sophistication in the programming of our Tesla's, and I believe that it's more sophisticated than Window 10, why can't Elon's engineers cause our cars to reboot after these updates occur just to make sure they are effectively integrated? He may be able to save countless SC visits by people that don't know about the reboot sequence.

Ok, enough ranting, let's see what tomorrow brings.

Last edited:
@St☰v☰ - what are the settings on your car now? What did you turn off and leave on etc...

For months I had most every normal system active, then with 32.11.1, things went a little wonky and I started shutting things off, but after the reboot showing charging was where it should be, I wanted to see how going back to "normal" worked out, so below is what's on and off.
  • Overheat protection - off
  • dog mode - off
  • Sentry - on (@ work only)
  • Joe mode - on
  • Software Update Pref - off (std)
  • Allow mobile access - off
I'm also running in chill mode with standard regen turned on and in AP whenever possible(*)...

BTW, this morning I parked and it was showing 178. With sentry on I lose about 1m/hr, it's been on and parked for ~ 3 hours and it's down to 175, so right where it should be based on historical consumption.

We'll see how it is after 24 hours.

(*) - a little off topic and I'm sure I'll get castigated, but this morning it was foggy along the coast in SoCal and I thought it might be a good time to see how well AP works in fog. It wasn't total pea soup, but still really foggy. The AP kept me in the lane (as well as it normally does :rolleyes:) and even in fog, as traffic slowed down in front of me, AP slowed me down. I was actually more concerned about some moron whacking me in the arce than me hitting someone in their arce. AP just might be better than my own (old) eyes and senses.

Last edited:
Ok, new report, and I hope it isn't a little premature. But, after rebooting on Sunday (it didn't need charging), last night I charged it to 90% and it shut off at 216 and no more vampire drain, which I assume is due to the clove of garlic I placed in the center console. I will try again tonight and see what I get.

View attachment 463803

Let me just rant for a moment. When I get an update on my home PC and/or laptop, if the update requires a reboot, the engineers at Microsoft have built in an algorithm that tells the system to reboot to ensure the update is effectively integrated. With all the sophistication in the programming of our Tesla's, and I believe that it's more sophisticated than Window 10, why can't Elon's engineers cause our cars to reboot after these updates occur just to make sure they are effectively integrated? He may be able to save countless SC visits by people that don't know about the reboot sequence.

Ok, enough ranting, let's see what tomorrow brings.
Do you get a BSOD, blue screen of death, while driving on the interstate? No, let's call it all good.

Thanks for the thread- I didn't realize this was happening to me until I checked my Tezlab app and sure enough- huge losses since v10 upgrade. I shut off the smart summon prep and restarted with the pedal- seems to be back to normal but won't know for sure for a few days.

Try checking "Autopilot--Summon -- Standby mode" and turning that OFF.

I believe it defaults to "On" in the new firmware to enable summon to connect faster, but I also think the car is "more awake". I turned that off when I read about it here somewhere. Try that.

Thank you for this. I wish I had known this earlier. I parked at an airport lot with 179 miles and returned after 2 weeks to 43 miles! Sentry mode was off but the Summon - Standby mode is something I didn't know about.