Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extremely Confused After Watching - Who Killed The Electric Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
**SNIP**
Only Tesla and Nissan have gone further, but Nissan has no current solution for long range driving, and Tesla is hard to afford. I actually need long range driving for work on a fairly regular basis. I can't afford to buy a Tesla yet; I want one, but it's still a few years off. In the meantime, I'm happy to be driving a Volt, and I find it far more compelling than all the other PHEVs out there in terms of electrification.
Echoing what Rolosrevenge said. The Leaf does have long distance solutions with its L3 charging and there are lots of L3 charge stations in my extended area that work. Oppertunity charging on the Leaf is still cheaper than gas.

i dont agree with the volt being a good "step in the right direction"

the problem is gas consumption, with the volt, you still need oil changes every 6 months (oil goes stale and loses it effectiveness), you still need to change your spark plugs, you still need to cycle your gas tank once in a while (gas also goes stale), still need air filters, oil filters, gas tank filter, etc, etc, its expensive considering what it offers, its not good at being an ev and its not good at being an ICE vehicle.

hybrids just need to stop in general, they suck at everything like all season tires.

Last edited:
the problem is gas consumption, with the volt, you still need oil changes every 6 months (oil goes stale and loses it effectiveness), you still need to change your spark plugs, you still need to cycle your gas tank once in a while (gas also goes stale), still need air filters, oil filters, gas tank filter, etc, etc, its expensive considering what it offers, its not good at being an ev and its not good at being an ICE vehicle.
You ought to get your intervals correct at least. Here are the recommended service intervals for the above mentioned items:

1. Oil change: 2 years or when the change engine oil indicator turns on
2. Spark plugs: 100,000 mi
3. Fuel: Burns a bit of fuel every 6 months at a minimum, at least 1 tank / year.
4. Engine air filter: 50,000 mi
5. Fuel filter: not required

The maintenance requirements for the ICE are really minimal compared to your typical hybrid.

It's really a good compromise vehicle. It's a good EV in EV mode compared to other EVs similar in price. And in hybrid mode it's actually better than most hybrids thanks to it's full-power EV power train.

It's a great vehicle for someone who mostly drives shorter distances, but either only has one car or frequently needs to drive more than 70 miles between charges and does it while minimizing gas consumption and introducing people to EVs without breaking the bank or having to worry about finding charging infrastructure on longer trips.

So I'm watching this again and I forgot that an oil company, Texaco, bought the better batteries that GM were using. What a conspiracy! I wonder what kinds of things are going on now behind the scenes because EVs are starting to spread. It's actually happening this time.

So I'm watching this again and I forgot that an oil company, Texaco, bought the better batteries that GM were using. What a conspiracy! I wonder what kinds of things are going on now behind the scenes because EVs are starting to spread. It's actually happening this time.
Yep. And that's part of the reason why EV owners hate oil companies (and GM for selling to Texaco of all companies). If lithium tech did not come along and NIMH was the most advanced tech, Texaco's ban on EVs using that patent (they only allow hybrids to do so by limiting max battery pack size) would have single-handedly killed EVs. They actually killed the original RAV4 EV this way by not allowing Panasonic to license that tech for EVs.

Yep. And that's part of the reason why EV owners hate oil companies (and GM for selling to Texaco of all companies). If lithium tech did not come along and NIMH was the most advanced tech, Texaco's ban on EVs using that patent (they only allow hybrids to do so by limiting max battery pack size) would have single-handedly killed EVs. They actually killed the original RAV4 EV this way by not allowing Panasonic to license that tech for EVs.

Crazy, just crazy.

Side tidbit - Chelsea Sexton's husband works for Tesla now. Pretty cool.

He did for ~4 1/2 years, but it's been over a year since he's been gone. We've always rooted for Tesla, and still do! :)

Oh cool, judging by your profile pic and name, its you. I didnt you were on here, do you post much? Maybe ive just been missing them....Since you were so involved in the process of the car and the doc, I have always wondered what you were doing now.

So, I just got this book for Father's Day that was recommended on this board, Internal Combustion, and I'm reading the Acknowledgments before starting the book and this is what I see:

Nearly all car companies cooperated with my inquiry....Honda, Ford, Toyota and BMW. Only one automaker did not cooperate: General Motors.

I laughed when I read this. Now, this book is from 2006, but even in today's world that makes sense. They only have the Volt and have no public plans for an EV in the future. Heck, even BMW is starting to understand the transition in light on what just happened a couple of days ago. Anyway, just thought that was great...

In addition GM has made noise about a 200 mile vehicle and continued support to the Volt.
GM has made a dramatic turn from crushing the EV1 and their Volt fleet is over 500 million electric miles.
Many people who are afraid of range anxiety are willing to try the Volt, and have later moved into all electrics.

I, for one, will not scoff at GM's contributions.

In 2012 I wanted to buy a car and was debating between Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt. They were both above $40K in Canada -- Nissan had a stupid price preimum over the US price, which was pushing me towards the Volt, but the dealer experience prevented me from buying it. Then I found the Mitsubishi i-Miev and that ended my dilemma.

My point is: a lot more Volt could be on the roads if the dealers would actually make even a minimal effort trying to sell them.

In 2012 I wanted to buy a car and was debating between Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt. They were both above $40K in Canada -- Nissan had a stupid price preimum over the US price, which was pushing me towards the Volt, but the dealer experience prevented me from buying it. Then I found the Mitsubishi i-Miev and that ended my dilemma.

My point is: a lot more Volt could be on the roads if the dealers would actually make even a minimal effort trying to sell them.

Yup. Quote from my local Chevy dealer: "If anybody comes in here looking to buy a Volt, we first try to talk them out of it. If they still want one, it will only be sold on special order with no discount off MSRP."