Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extremely Disappointed about SuperCharger rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Elon Musk would only be interested in more and more money, then the Superchargers would never have been free at all. And then we would have been paying a certain amount each time when we would use the Supercharger. Just like we now already do at the gas station every week/month.

On the contrary, Elon Musk decided to make the best possible deal for us (pay only once at front, and then charge for free). I bet that none of the gas stations on this planet will ever do us this favour. Therefore, we should show some appreciation. And not act like children who do not get their new toy exatly on time.

Welcome to the entitled society.

What I find strange is how Elon must have understood that the SC plan was completely bogus and that some people would have such over the top reactions. Maybe it was just a communications SNAFU but even July is looking like a stretch - there are SC locations (OK, approximate locations) that don't appear to have even been started.

Welcome to the entitled society.

What I find strange is how Elon must have understood that the SC plan was completely bogus and that some people would have such over the top reactions. Maybe it was just a communications SNAFU but even July is looking like a stretch - there are SC locations (OK, approximate locations) that don't appear to have even been started.
I suspect there are people in the company who are afraid to tell Elon the truth -- or they tell him the truth, and he decides to set a stretch target for the team to get great things out of them. Sometimes it works (almost any aspect of the Model S) and sometimes it doesn't (almost any aspect of the timeliness of the SuperCharger deployment). ;)

Am I the only one wanting Elon to make some sort of a new public speech about the details and the progress of the SC-installments? I think he definately owe us that.

Hopefully you are, because I am not. Because us != public. A public statement from Elon revoking a previous SC roll out announcement would shake the ship. If he feels to address this item, he could wait until the planned number of SCs is opened, then have a press release stating "it took a little longer but we did it." Same content, but completely different message.

Hopefully you are, because I am not. Because us != public. A public statement from Elon revoking a previous SC roll out announcement would shake the ship. If he feels to address this item, he could wait until the planned number of SCs is opened, then have a press release stating "it took a little longer but we did it." Same content, but completely different message.

Agreed I don't think it would be prudent for Elon to make a public statement saying we messed up. However i do think it would be entirely appropriate for the website to start adding additional details. For example when you placed the slider at the Summer 2013 position a new section below the listing of the open stations should open that listed the proposed stations and the current status. Statuses could include, site selected, permitted, construction began, awaiting approvals. Granted each of these statuses will have different time frames in each different jurisdiction but at least we would have additional clarity. Beyond Summer 2013 this would probably not be realistic as I would bet that many of the sites have not even been selected yet. But the section could certainly be updated with more current info as it becomes available.

I haven't read thru all 105 post but has anyone considered the problem of permitting? Having built my own home some 13 years ago, I know how permits can throw a monkey wrench into the best of schedules. You can't always count on the bureaucracy to come thru as promised and you can't break ground until the permits are available. So why don't we all just chill. A month or two wont make a s@#t of a difference. Have we all been planning these lengthy get-aways so far in advance? How long have you owned a Model S? I waited 3 1/2 years for my S. I think we can wait a few more months to make our cross-country treks. Hell, I mad three 800 mile journeys by car in the last 10 years. And they weren't by choice. That's not to say that as soon as the Ft. Meyers station opens I wont be making a trip, just to say I can.

End of rant. :wink:

Yeah, again--permits are not the issue. Proper planning and expectation-setting is. If you are a publicly-traded business and your projections 30 days out are off by ~90%, you need to improve that. This isn't controversial, folks. :) If Tesla can build a car as amazing as the Model S, they can learn to properly announce future SuperChargers / loaner cars / financing plans / warranty price changes / accessory price changes.

It's great that those here (including myself, as I've said before) are willing to cut them large amounts of slack about these things. The fact remains that the general public will not join us in that mindset as Tesla's popularity grows. That's the point here (speaking for myself, at least). Tesla needs to greatly improve their communication skills, or it will eventually bite them in the ass in a major way. We all want the best for Tesla--there's no need to make excuses for clearly awful corporate communications in order to show that we want the best for them.

Sometimes the Tesla blinders around here are just a little too blinding.

Yeah, again--permits are not the issue. Proper planning and expectation-setting is. If you are a publicly-traded business and your projections 30 days out are off by ~90%, you need to improve that. This isn't controversial, folks. :) If Tesla can build a car as amazing as the Model S, they can learn to properly announce future SuperChargers / loaner cars / financing plans / warranty price changes / accessory price changes.

It's great that those here (including myself, as I've said before) are willing to cut them large amounts of slack about these things. The fact remains that the general public will not join us in that mindset as Tesla's popularity grows. That's the point here (speaking for myself, at least). Tesla needs to greatly improve their communication skills, or it will eventually bite them in the ass in a major way. We all want the best for Tesla--there's no need to make excuses for clearly awful corporate communications in order to show that we want the best for them.

Sometimes the Tesla blinders around here are just a little too blinding.

+1. Well said.

Triple the number of Tesla Supercharger stations by the end of next month, including additional stations in California, coverage of the northwest region from Vancouver to Seattle to Portland, Austin to Dallas in Texas, Illinois and Colorado. There will also be four additional eastern seaboard stations, expanding the density of the network to provide for more convenient stopping points.

Well it is now June 29th and only 1 new Supercharger has been opened. Unless we get a flurry of activity over the weekend there is no way that 24 new supercharging locations will be opened by the end of the month. Actually based upon the reports in this forum I would be surprised if there are 24 new stations open by the end of July as many stations do not appear to have even been started yet.

As others have noted, Darien CT, Atascadero CA, and Buellton CA were recently included on the list of active supercharger locations on the TM web site so they are definitely making progress. Together with Normal, IL they've added four locations to the existing 8 locations in the last few weeks.

As long as you add a small "Elon Musk reality distortion field" correction to any date or number in future Tesla announcements, it should help prevent any extreme disappointment in the future ;-)

As May 30th was the 2nd last day of the month, I say we chill and read the release as though it was dated June 1st instead.

Note: "Next month" usually brings about the connotation of "within these next 2 months" so we should at least give them 61 days from the date of the release...

Anyway, take note of the important disclaimer:

Forward-Looking Statements
Certain statements in this press release, including statements regarding future Tesla Supercharger locations, timing and capabilities, are “forward-looking statements” that are subject to risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are based on management’s current expectations, and as a result of certain risks and uncertainties, actual results may differ materially from those projected. Various important factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements, including potential difficulties in finding suitable Tesla Supercharger sites, negotiating leases or obtaining required permits for such locations, as well as the risks and uncertainties identified under the sections captioned “Risk Factors” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results Of Operations” in Tesla’s Form 10-Q filed on May 10, 2013. Tesla disclaims any obligation to update information contained in these forward-looking statements.

Note: "Next month" usually brings about the connotation of "within these next 2 months" so we should at least give them 61 days from the date of the release...

Huh? Next month means next month. If I say it today, it means August. If I say it on May 30th, it means June. Maybe if I say it at 10PM Pacific time on May 31st, it would be ambiguous, but otherwise not.

I think this point has been discussed to death.

Huh? Next month means next month. If I say it today, it means August. If I say it on May 30th, it means June. Maybe if I say it at 10PM Pacific time on May 31st, it would be ambiguous, but otherwise not.

What I meant was that if it was said on the June 1st, the words "next month" will last until July 31st. (61 days) so it would bring to mind "This month + next month so 2 months later at MAXIMUM"

So we should give them at least 2 months worth of time before being "extremely" disappointed...

+ 1

- - - Updated - - -

As others have noted, Darien CT, Atascadero CA, and Buellton CA were recently included on the list of active supercharger locations on the TM web site so they are definitely making progress. Together with Normal, IL they've added four locations to the existing 8 locations in the last few weeks.

As long as you add a small "Elon Musk reality distortion field" correction to any date or number in future Tesla announcements, it should help prevent any extreme disappointment in the future ;-)

+ 1

- - - Updated - - -

As May 30th was the 2nd last day of the month, I say we chill and read the release as though it was dated June 1st instead.

Forward-Looking Statements
Certain statements in this press release, including statements regarding future Tesla Supercharger locations, timing and capabilities, are “forward-looking statements” that are subject to risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are based on management’s current expectations, and as a result of certain risks and uncertainties, actual results may differ materially from those projected. Various important factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements, including potential difficulties in finding suitable Tesla Supercharger sites, negotiating leases or obtaining required permits for such locations, as well as the risks and uncertainties identified under the sections captioned “Risk Factors” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results Of Operations” in Tesla’s Form 10-Q filed on May 10, 2013. Tesla disclaims any obligation to update information contained in these forward-looking statements.

+ 1

- - - Updated - - -

What I meant was that if it was said on the June 1st, the words "next month" will last until July 31st. (61 days) so it would bring to mind "This month + next month so 2 months later at MAXIMUM"

So we should give them at least 2 months worth of time before being "extremely" disappointed...

+ 1

+ 1

- - - Updated - - -
+ 1

- - - Updated - - -
+ 1

- - - Updated - - -
+ 1

OK, we know you are a fan. That is not the point.

Elon (and Tesla) don't need to please the fans - they will be pleased by most things that Elon and Tesla say and do. But Tesla does need to please the non-fans. These are people who are considering EV's, but are still unsure about them. Their expectations are higher and their willingness to overlook missed deadlines is lower. It is important to not disappoint those people, because in doing so Tesla risks losing them as potential customers.

I'm a fan too. In fact, I am such a fan that I want Tesla to succeed with the non-fans. That will require different behavior than what we are seeing with the Supercharger expansion announcement and its potential to disappoint.

OK, we know you are a fan. That is not the point.

Elon (and Tesla) don't need to please the fans - they will be pleased by most things that Elon and Tesla say and do. But Tesla does need to please the non-fans. These are people who are considering EV's, but are still unsure about them. Their expectations are higher and their willingness to overlook missed deadlines is lower. It is important to not disappoint those people, because in doing so Tesla risks losing them as potential customers.

I'm a fan too. In fact, I am such a fan that I want Tesla to succeed with the non-fans. That will require different behavior than what we are seeing with the Supercharger expansion announcement and its potential to disappoint.

You do have a point.
We can shake hands now.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla needs to simply stick with vague dates for announcements. Things like 'second half of 2013' instead of end of June.

And this would be the best possible practical solution that I have heard so far.

This would really help not to get into situations like this thread.

They should be more cautious and not mention/announce dates that are too specific.

And I believe they will have learned from this experience.

Can we put an end to this thread now please?

Thanks

Tesla needs to simply stick with vague dates for announcements. Things like 'second half of 2013' instead of end of June.

Wouldn't matter. If they did that I guarantee we'd have a whole whack of people complaining it's too vague and can't Tesla be more precise, etc., etc., etc... Best to just accept that no matter what you do, you can't make everyone happy. Some simply don't want to be happy, they'd rather be disappointed. Personally, I'm all about measuring my expectations of anyone and everyone, including companies. That way I'm never disappointed.