Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extremely disappointed with the product and my experience with my P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the email that I send to Tesla motors and I would like to share with all of you. My car is a P85+.

" Dear all,

I am extremely disappointed with the product and my experience thus far with my car. I took delivery back in May 2013 and since then I have been dealing with problems after problems with my car. In the five months of ownership of this vehicle my car has been on a service center more than 4 times. As all of you I am a very busy physician who does not have time for this. And the problems keep coming or have not been addressed and fixed. The following are the issues:

1. SEVERE WIND WIND NOISE coming from the Panoramic roof. Looked at several times still not fixed. Two days ago a rep from Tampa service named Mike came up to Jacksonville to install rear cup holders and tested my car. He witnessed and stated severe abnormal wind noise coming from the panoramic roof that needed to be looked at and fix. I am still waiting for a phone call from Tampa SC to schedule my repair. My car was just down in October 4th to repair this and other issues and this is still present. Not only that, my car was at Dania Beach service center two times before that for this and it was not found nor fixed.

2. NEW UNNERVING SWERVING WHEN ACCELERATING AND DECELERATING. The rear end of the car would fishtail or swerve making the handeling extremely bad and feeling unsafe . I am 100% sure this is due to suspension parts becoming loose. In a brand new 130K+ car this should not be happening and should not be accepted. Reported this issue yesterday and I am still waiting for a phone call to schedule the repair. The car has new tires well balanced and aligned. Rechecked this yesterday.

3. Interior trim becoming lose and falling apart. This was fixed in October 4th trip to Tampa SC.

4. Since time of delivery I reported that the hood of the car is misalign on the sides with a very noticible bigger gap on the left compare to the right side of the hood. This has been reported several times with no fix.

I am extremely annoyed about all this problems on a 5 month old very expensive vehicle. I used to own German luxury cars before and I didn't have any problems. Even our 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland summit with panoramic roof that cost us three times less than the model S has not have any issues with the interior trim, body work alignment, Suspension becoming loose or Panoramic roof severe wind noise. This vehicle that is almost 2 years old and "just a Jeep"has been in service three times for 15 minutes each for oil changes. This is unbelievable. Key statements of low maintenance ,great handling, quality and service definitely not true and real with Tesla Motors products.

At this point I do not feel that further products from Tesla will not be having all this issues. We will cancel the plan of purchaising the Model X for my wife and I will make sure not to recommend the vehicle to friends and collegues because I would feel very bad if they have to go through all these troubles.

I am communicating with all of you through this email as I will share my experience with current, future and possible costumers in the media. "

So you got ****** off because there were interior trim issues and a small misalignment of the hood in the past and that the new swerving issue didn't get fixed in 1 day (you mention that you told the SC yesterday). The pano not getting fixed I can understand, but to go so far overboard with planning to tout to everyone in the media about small issues that happen in a startup company seems a bit overreacting. Sure, going to SC four times is annoying and you should escalate, but your attitude is over the board.

Hope you get your stuff fixed and recommend not getting ahead of yourself with the cancellations. Have a nice drink and chill out a bit before making big decisions, recommend that also while you are with your patients ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that seems a little harsh, but everyone has their own opinions and level of tolerance. Have they not offered to pick up your car for repairs? A lot of the issues you refer to are know and have fixes as your car was probably an early production vehicle. What is your VIN?

Have you talked with the SC manager? If so, what did they say? Have you talked with their regional supervisor?

I too have had multiple German cars (Porsche's, Audi's, etc) and no issues. I had a friend that had a BMW that was always in the shop. I too have a Grand Cherokee as a back-up car and love it--no issues. I have a P85+ and I have zero issues. I guess like anything, cars can have issues, and it seems as though they are taking car of it (one issue you just reported yesterday--it takes a day to get scheduled sometimes).

I can tell you are frustrated, but I would run it up the chain at Tesla, before getting too worked up. Most Tesla owners of P85+'s are probably pretty busy people, and Tesla seems more than accommodating to them.

Hope it works out, as this is the exception and not the rule.

Last edited:
I feel for you miamind. I would be upset with problems on a six figure car. However, I would not be so hasty as to judge Tesla's product overall. I personally haven't seen widespread issues with these problems or else we would see it all over the forum. Hopefully your case is rare and I don't think you should judge the Model X just yet.

I haven't had the wind noise issue until I got a loaner... I can commiserate with you on the annoyance at speed. I can ignore it since I know I'm giving it back.

That said, I don't mean to put you down in any way, but I think you may be being a tad unreasonable. This is a new car. Granted they've made something like 10k of them, but it's still a new car from a new manufacturer. I myself have had my car in for many things in the 10 months I've owned it (up until recently nothing severe), but service has made it a fairly painless experience. You admit to JUST reporting one of your issues. Give them time to make it right.

On the other hand, perhaps this car isn't right for you. I don't say that to be dismissive either, but I know a certain class of customers are unwilling to deal with any sort of issues in something they pay good money for. That's perfectly acceptable IMO, and I've long said Tesla will need to get up to speed if they want to handle "the masses".

So, if you can accept that there will be issues and that Tesla will take take of them.. stick with it. Otherwise, I'd cash out while the getting is good -- though IMO running and crying to the media does no one any good and only makes you look petulant (and/or like you are trying to threaten them into some sort of action).

I feel for you miamind. I would be upset with problems on a six figure car. However, I would not be so hasty as to judge Tesla's product overall. I personally haven't seen widespread issues with these problems or else we would see it all over the forum. Hopefully your case is rare and I don't think you should judge the Model X just yet.

The handling issues seems to be more widespread, and I advise everyone to get it checked out. Some folks are getting free tire replacements because of it (I didn't because I had too many miles on mine). My own car developed the pano roof creaking, but was fixed in one visit. The wind noise is not something I've ever had (aside from in the loaner as mentioned -- so perhaps that's an issue that developed as a result of some "fixes" they've tried for the creaking).

Either way, I agree. Not only is the Model S a great car, but Tesla service really does go out of their way to make things right, so it balances most issues out for me. As I said though, I know there are some that would prefer a 100% rock solid car out the gate.

No I am really ****** off because seems like every week my brand new car has something that needs to be repair. The statement of Startup company is always used as an excuse. If you sent your car more than 4 times to a SC 4 hours away and does not get fix then you would understand. I think bad things happening should be also reported in the forum. I do not believe after waiting 5 months for things to be addressed that my attitude is over the board but I do respect your recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my, sounds like a lot of drama in your life.
I really hope you learn a lot more about accepting the bigger picture, patience and not being so demanding to have things resolved right now.

Working toward a resolution with the local Service Center and achieving it would be a lot better than your petty rant.

No drama in my life. Mine is pretty cool otherwise.
Oh my, sounds like a lot of drama in your life.
I really hope you learn a lot more about accepting the bigger picture, patience and not being so demanding to have things resolved right now.

Working toward a resolution with the local Service Center and achieving it would be a lot better than your petty rant.

I do not believe after waiting 5 months for things to be addressed that my attitude is over the board but I do respect your recommendations.

Not until a couple weeks ago did I have my handling issues addressed. That's almost 10 months of back and forth, so I feel for you on that. I know how annoying it is. I think some of us (well, I'll speak for me only) took issue with the tone of the post and the way it came off as "Tesla sucks and I'm gonna yell it from the mountaintop" for issues that have been experienced by others without such a powerful reaction.

I guess you are more understanding than me. Congratulations on getting your issues addressed lol
Not until a couple weeks ago did I have my handling issues addressed. That's almost 10 months of back and forth, so I feel for you on that. I know how annoying it is. I think some of us (well, I'll speak for me only) took issue with the tone of the post and the way it came off as "Tesla sucks and I'm gonna yell it from the mountaintop" for issues that have been experienced by others without such a powerful reaction.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I talked to them in two occasions when I sent my car to SC. I will do it again but my point is that multiple visits same issue no fix is not justified and I know I am not the only one dealing with this.

I guess you are more understanding than me. Congratulations on getting your issues addressed lol

Well, I'll be honest... I did get a little irate on the visit before last (where I finally got the handling issue mostly addressed, I think I need new tires and another alignment for it to be solid). I refused to take back the car until it was fixed, because I got denied new tires because I had them "too long", so I didn't want there to suddenly be a fix for the issue, but be denied because it was "too long" or something.

As texex said tho, speak with the manager. I've found them to be accommodating.

multiple visits same issue no fix is not justified and I know I am not the only one dealing with this.

You're not. Many folks have gone in multiple times for the roof issue, the handling issue and other things that Tesla has been battling to fix "just right". Often temporary solutions are offered while engineering looks more into it. On the plus side, it's fixed for free once they DO know what's up.

@miamimd

I can understand that you are complaining for the issues that you reported. I think that the real problem in your case is the Tesla Service that IMO should have readily fixed all the issues that you reported.
But taking your complaints to the media level is too much IMO. Such a level of high complaints would have been understandable only in case of issues concerning the safety of the car and we know that the Model S is a very safe car. Just my opinion.

Guys when I said media I was referring to the forums. I am still a Tesla fan. To be clear and open these has not been the only issues. I have had condensation on taillights( addressed multiple times and still happening), trim on seats coming off, hood and trunk misalignment, etc. So when somebody said to me that I have not been understanding it does irritate me.
@miamimd

I can understand that you are complaining for the issues that you reported. I think that the real problem in your case is the Tesla Service that IMO should have readily fixed all the issues that you reported.
But taking your complaints to the media level is too much IMO. Such a level of high complaints would have been understandable only in case of issues concerning the safet of the car and we know that the Model S is a very safe car. Just my opinion.

I can see how 4 issues multiplied by a 4hr drive multiplied by the times to get it fixed would get you agitated.
a) The sunroof noise will make the car feel $60k cheaper, and is a pain. The early build may not help. Escalate to the supervisor and agree on a deadline: 2 more attempts in 8 weeks including a new roof or refund/buy back.
b) This is for sure the alignment issue other are seeing: car toeing out due to undertorqued bolts. Agree with SC to go to a local alignment shop (they pay), provide them with http://craigfroehle.com/posted/ModelS_Alignment.pdf and get it fixed for <$100.
c) Interior trim see (a) but I see no reason they should not be able to fix this.
d) Panel gap: see (a)

Agree with you
I can see how 4 issues multiplied by a 4hr drive multiplied by the times to get it fixed would get you agitated.
a) The sunroof noise will make the car feel $60k cheaper, and is a pain. The early build may not help. Escalate to the supervisor and agree on a deadline: 2 more attempts in 8 weeks including a new roof or refund/buy back.
b) This is for sure the alignment issue other are seeing: car toeing out due to undertorqued bolts. Agree with SC to go to a local alignment shop (they pay), provide them with http://craigfroehle.com/posted/ModelS_Alignment.pdf and get it fixed for <$100.
c) Interior trim see (a) but I see no reason they should not be able to fix this.
d) Panel gap: see (a)