Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extremely disappointed with the product and my experience with my P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Humans tend to form opinions about product quality at a microscopic level. If we have a poor experience with the quality of Company A's product, we tend to believe that Company A's product is terrible. If we have a great experience with the quality of Company B's product, we say that Company B's product is excellent.

At a macroscopic view, neither is correct--the reality is somewhere in the middle. Are most carmakers going to exceed Tesla's current state of manufacturing quality? Many will. They've been around much longer and they're not ramping up at an insane pace.

However, in most cases Tesla will make things right. I have some gap and flush issues on my car, but hey--I'm VIN 1653. I expected issues like that buying an early car. Does it irk me? Yes. Paying this much for a car, you expect the same quality as any other high end car.

Having said that though, no other car on the planet can give me the same overall experience as this car. It's about the total package. You have to be willing to sacrifice a little for that privilege. Tesla will get better, the cars will continue to improve, and hopefully all the issues with your car will be improved.

It just comes with the territory.
+1. Very well put.

Got a P85+ loaner last week that had the pano roof issue. I, too, would find it unacceptable if I had that problem with my car irregardless of whether the company was in startup mode. 100+K car? No leeway... Keep at it until you get it fixed. The SC was well-aware of the pano roof problems and I was told they do have a fix for it, but it takes a whole day to get it fixed. Sooo busy they don't have time to fix the pano roof problems on the loaners.

Frankly the excuse that this is a startup and a new car and you should expect to have issues is doing more damage than good. ALL car companies have issues with vehicles. A good friend of mine has had his BMW 4 months, it has been at the dealership for 37 days of that getting service done due to an assortment of issues. Tesla is not immune to it, just like every other car manufacturer.

I hope you get your issues sorted out. My P85+ has been fantastic, the best car I've ever owned by a long shot. I wouldn't trade it for anything. (Well, I'd trade it for a few cars that are worth more, sell that car, and buy another P85+ and bank some cash). Every minor complaint I've had has been addressed completely.

Last edited:
I've had more teething issues than most here ... I am a happy camper.

Tesla (via this forum) and the local SC have really been great.

This is coming from a guy who absolutely DREADS taking my car in for any kind of service.

Btw, I've probably had fewer teething issues than most, but I had no pano creaking until I took mine in for service and they gratuitously made a mod to my roof and now it creaks, but not bothersome enough to take in just for that

Hmmmm the way the e-mail was worded probably didn't help. Did you include any pictures of the things?

Stinks that you are having issues though. What's odd to me is that they didn't just send you a ranger and give you a loaner. Perhaps what would be better is having Tesla give you a loaner while they take your car for an extended period to fix everything on it, instead of having it in 4 different times.

It's good that you have German cars with no issue, but you are the minority and once again in the minority of Tesla Model S owners it seems... Anyway, post an update of what happens. Curious to know how it's handled.

I am perplexed why the solution to a problem is to buy a German car. I had a Mercedes that I traded for a Cadillac STS in 2006. It was a tremendous upgrade. There was nothing intuitive in that Mercedes. I needed to get the manual to accomplish simple things. The Mercedes was nosier, slower and handled poorer. I drove that STS until 2012 when I traded for a Volt. I have never had a single issue with the Volt. It is an amazing car with exceptional technology.

I can't imagine trading a Model S for a German car. I have been lucky with my P85+ and hope the OP can get his issues resolved.

I am communicating with all of you through this email as I will share my experience with current, future and possible costumers in the media. "

Is it possible to be more douchy? You had some MINOR issues with the car and by your own admission your new issue was reported 24 hours ago and now your pitching a fit and throwing a temper tantrum, lashing out like a petulant child. I'll forgive the non-stop grammatical errors and try not to draw any conclusions of your intelligence based on it, but your full frontal attack against Tesla, their product, and their future products display a degree of over-reaction that seems suspicious to say the least.

Perhaps you are used to cheaper cars, but this is a BRAND NEW car company. Not everything is going to be perfect. Escalating issues and even bringing them up in the owners forum privately would seem appropriate, going public and threatening Tesla with bad PR is poor form to say the least.

Is it possible to be more douchy? You had some MINOR issues with the car and by your own admission your new issue was reported 24 hours ago and now your pitching a fit and throwing a temper tantrum, lashing out like a petulant child. I'll forgive the non-stop grammatical errors and try not to draw any conclusions of your intelligence based on it, but your full frontal attack against Tesla, their product, and their future products display a degree of over-reaction that seems suspicious to say the least.

Perhaps you are used to cheaper cars, but this is a BRAND NEW car company. Not everything is going to be perfect. Escalating issues and even bringing them up in the owners forum privately would seem appropriate, going public and threatening Tesla with bad PR is poor form to say the least.
Plus+ 1

Sorry Fanboys,

have to be with the OP here... It's an $100K. For a lot of people that is more than a years salary, a very significant part of a home cost, and largest purchase outside of thier home they would make -- even more than sending thier kids to college. I don't recall anywhere stating that our $100k was for access to a Beta program, so expectation is that the product will work as advertised. An no, it doesn't matter the age of the company, that's just a lame excuse. For me losing 4 hours to take my vehicle in to be repaired is a lose of $300, since it will almost always be during the week. His acceptance/patience with these issue would likely be a lot more if it only cost him 30 minutes. BTW: minor is totally subjective - but I would suggest these weren't minor to him, given his time invested tring to get these issues resolved.

Basic point - people shouldn't be getting on peoples cases because they vent thier frustrations (I don't here them saying they are ready to return it for a chevy). They have every right given the major investment they are placing in the product and the company. For some, $100K may not be a big deal - but for most it really is...

Sorry Fanboys,

have to be with the OP here... It's an $100K. For a lot of people that is more than a years salary, a very significant part of a home cost, and largest purchase outside of thier home they would make -- even more than sending thier kids to college. I don't recall anywhere stating that our $100k was for access to a Beta program, so expectation is that the product will work as advertised. An no, it doesn't matter the age of the company, that's just a lame excuse. For me losing 4 hours to take my vehicle in to be repaired is a lose of $300, since it will almost always be during the week. His acceptance/patience with these issue would likely be a lot more if it only cost him 30 minutes. BTW: minor is totally subjective - but I would suggest these weren't minor to him, given his time invested tring to get these issues resolved.

Basic point - people shouldn't be getting on peoples cases because they vent thier frustrations (I don't here them saying they are ready to return it for a chevy). They have every right given the major investment they are placing in the product and the company. For some, $100K may not be a big deal - but for most it really is...

+100. Common sense.

Sorry Fanboys,

have to be with the OP here... It's an $100K. For a lot of people that is more than a years salary, a very significant part of a home cost, and largest purchase outside of thier home they would make -- even more than sending thier kids to college. I don't recall anywhere stating that our $100k was for access to a Beta program, so expectation is that the product will work as advertised. An no, it doesn't matter the age of the company, that's just a lame excuse. For me losing 4 hours to take my vehicle in to be repaired is a lose of $300, since it will almost always be during the week.

I agree a lot of us Tesla fans cut them a lot of slack and make excuses for them. However I don't understand why anyone would waste hours of their precious time when ranger service is available?

Sorry Fanboys,

I'm not making excuses for Tesla or hiding behind the "start up" response. The problems need to be fixed. But "communicating with current, future, and possible costumers (sic) in the media" is NOT COOL, especially the efforts that Tesla seems to be making in good faith to solve these problems, and the countless stories of success for other car owners in solving similar problems. Fine to vent frustrations on this forum and seek advice, but then don't complain if you don't follow the advice and take the logical steps to alleviate the issues.

I'm wondering if the OP is having problems communicating with Tesla or doesn't understand who to escalate the problems to. If the OP has this many (countless) grammatical, spelling, and syntax errors with plenty of time to prepare these messages before posting, is it not possible that there is some communications gap in the face to face communications where the two sides just aren't communicating as they need to be? And that maybe why the OP is reluctant to have a ranger come out for some other reason?

Last edited:
I work in retail and one thing I have learned is the you can't please all the people all the time. Some people are more tolerant than others. What one person is willing to accept could be absolutely intolerable to someone else. Tesla, as a retailer, will have to deal with the whole range of customers. This will become more prevalent as Tesla moves more and more into the mainstream.

The customer is always right.

That phrase was created because, more often than not, the customer is not right. As the company selling a product your job is still to please every person that buys your product. Which means, that even if the customer is completely wrong, you've got to do your best to make that customer happy anyway.

But that said, you'll never be able to make every person happy and satisfied. That's the Catch-22 of selling a product. :)

Sorry for the speech.

I too had a very noisy pano roof, with a disconnected front gasket. At that time (end of June 2013) my closest SC was San Rafael and I live in the Sierra foothills. They were dealing with all problems North of San Francisco and very busy. I met the manager in Rocklin when he was interviewing for staffing the Rocklin SC and swapped cars. The 85P loaner also had a pano roof and was far quieter than mine. Repair took over a week, but I had the 85P so no worries. When finished they flatbedded my car to my house in the Sierra foothills and picked up the loaner. Noise was greatly reduced, but, still not acceptable. I decided to live with it until the Rocklin SC was open and when it was convenient for me. Took the car in yesterday and went along for the test drive confirming the noisy roof. The tech, Patrick, seemed to understand the problem and told me that engineering had devised a solution. Picked up the car today and all was fixed. They also fixed a creak in the pano roof and the c pillar which I had not even noticed. Fixing the pano was fairly involved and included replacing the front fascia. There is a Service bulletin on this problem (SB-13-24-006) and a repair kit (Front Side Applique Kt Assy 1026859-SO-A). I have only driven the car home up Interstate 80 at speeds up to 75mph. There was virtually no noise from the pano roof. As an added bonus.:smile: I was his by a rock on the freeway several weeks ago which put a significant dent and scratch in the very fascia that was replaced. They also updated my firmware to 5.6 so I am a happy camper. I suspect that earlier failed attempts to fix the noise problem were before engineering came up with a fix.

When you buy a brand new, revolutionary automobile design in its first year of production from a company that has never produced a vehicle like this or in this type of scale before, it's naive to expect a trouble-free experience filled with perfection. I don't know what some people are expecting, especially since problem reports are available here and at the TM forums for all to see. I did a tremendous amount of research before I pulled the trigger. I hoped for the best but did expect to have some issues. As it turns out, I ended up with some of the common issues reported here and elsewhere. I have had those issues addressed to my satisfaction and now the car is as close to perfect as I could reasonably expect.

Sure, it's bothersome to have problems with a car in this price range. But to not expect problems just because of the high price is being totally naive and ignoring the reality. I do recommend this car to friends and people who ask me about it, but I also tell them to expect issues.

When you buy a brand new, revolutionary automobile design in its first year of production from a company that has never produced a vehicle like this or in this type of scale before, it's naive to expect a trouble-free experience filled with perfection. I don't know what some people are expecting, especially since problem reports are available here and at the TM forums for all to see. I did a tremendous amount of research before I pulled the trigger. I hoped for the best but did expect to have some issues. As it turns out, I ended up with some of the common issues reported here and elsewhere. I have had those issues addressed to my satisfaction and now the car is as close to perfect as I could reasonably expect.

Sure, it's bothersome to have problems with a car in this price range. But to not expect problems just because of the high price is being totally naive and ignoring the reality. I do recommend this car to friends and people who ask me about it, but I also tell them to expect issues.

Agree 100%

It's how a company handles the problems that is a more important factor in the early game than if there are issues. If money=no issues then Ferrari would be a trouble free brand. They have 100 years of experience too so there should be absolutely issues then.

I agree, spending this much on a car and dealing with issues (some big ones) is not fun and shouldn't happen but what other car company can you e-mail one of the VPs and get a response? I realize as the company grows this won't always be possible though.