Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extremely fragile top glass roof - Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who has had a toddler (or a dog) stand up without warning, and hit an adult bending over to pick them up, understands the force of young legs straightening. Because of the density of the glass itself, it probably didn't SOUND like a harsh impact.

I think the OP is underestimating the intensity of the impact.

I can't speak to anyone else's cars (though there are certainly quite a few postings here about the roof glass)... but I certainly would expect the roof of my car (!) to be at least a bit stronger than your (admittedly lovely sounding) espresso glasses.

It's a great car, I like it very much, but this should not have happened this easily. I love Tesla, too, but this is just not acceptable.
Posts about the glass roof breaking? Where exactly, must have missed them. And this makes you question the whole build quality? If you feel that strongly about it now is a great time to sell and move on to a car with a stronger glass roof… 🙄

Reactions: WhiteWi
Do you have tint installed on your roof glass @tallevdude? Was it a hot day?
Does the tint play a factor of a cracked glass? That’s a serious question. Because I just got my my model y LR two weeks ago and in the first week I had window tint done including a windshield banner tint. Now my windshield has a cracked from middle top edge to about 4 inches below where the rear view mirror. There’s no apparent damage that causes it no rock chip or puncture of any kind. It just looked like it cracked itself. I wonder if Tesla would cover it since the car is literally two weeks old.

Does the tint play a factor of a cracked glass? That’s a serious question. Because I just got my my model y LR two weeks ago and in the first week I had window tint done including a windshield banner tint. Now my windshield has a cracked from middle top edge to about 4 inches below where the rear view mirror. There’s no apparent damage that causes it no rock chip or puncture of any kind. It just looked like it cracked itself. I wonder if Tesla would cover it since the car is literally two weeks old.
No. OP said that the roof wasn't tinted and not sure how tinting would affect the glass strength.

• Funny
Reactions: Jbiddy
Certainly not trying to dismiss you but my seven year old who has an absolute brick head smashed his head into my roof last week and I panicked thinking one he’s hurt for sure, two I remember seeing this post thinking I’m looking at a price repair but thankfully zero damage to the roof. They’re tested to support up to 20,000 lbs of force, i know that’s from the outside in and concave is more fragile than convex generally speaking but I truly believe you got a bad piece of glass and I do think Tesla would cover it if you raise enough of a stink about it in a respectful controlled manner with the service department manager. Hope you get your car fixed and you can look back at this like a one of freak accident

Reactions: GeezerSquid
No. OP said that the roof wasn't tinted and not sure how tinting would affect the glass strength.
I think the concern is if there’s a tint or extremely hot sun it could cause the glass to heat up more causing more thermal stress and making it easier to crack.

I agree with the others - it’s easy to underestimate the force of a kid‘s head. Also, his size likely made the force higher because he was fully extending his legs. Physics can play some weird tricks, too. My brother in law had his iphone screen break when it fell about 3 feet onto a carpeted floor with a case on it. The tech at the apple store couldn’t believe it either, but it landed just right to concentrate the force in a way that would crack the screen. It happens. No one can prove the glass wasn’t defective, but without any evidence you can’t say that it was, either.

Another possibility came to mind watching the video that was posted above - if the glass is actually laminated with the various tints, and sound-deadening films, could it be that the inner glass surface is actually thinner and easier to break with an impact? In designing the roof, I imagine they were more concerned with external impacts than those from the inside, and as others have said, the convex surface would be stronger than the concave side.

In the end, I wouldn’t expect Tesla to cover it. WIthout other proof, the only evidence that it was defective is the description of the event which is vague at best and Tesla doesn’t even know if it’s true or not. How do they know it wasn’t caused when you smacked it with something you were loading in the car?

Reactions: WhiteWi
I experienced a very similar incident in the mid-90s. My youngest son was 5 years old, a little rambunctious and enjoyed playing in the car (a 1981 Mazda GLC) when we were parked at the house. I would sit in there with him and talk or read while he played with toys or pretended to ride around like an adult (as he was only given access to the front seat while the car was parked) .

One day he got a little active and ended up banging the top of his head into the passenger side of the windshield. It cracked the windshield in a huge starburst shape. He just looked surprised and rubbed his head, no problem, but that was the end of that day's front seat playtime.

P.S. He is now a Tesla owner (a 2020 model) and the father of my first grandchild (a beautiful 2021 model). He's coming down this week to help me pick up my MYLR (also a 2021 model, apparently one of the last), We'll check it out and do mods/installations. I will remind him not to smack his head into the glass roof or the windshield this time...

What did Tesla say?
Another adventure... Made appointment in app with local Service Center in Dedham, only to have them cancel the week of with a note telling me to contact Safelight, who in turn told me to schedule through Tesla. This is an endless loop, and it's not working as it should.

I finally called a service center in Peabody MA (over an hour away), who are always helpful and actually answer the phone, who told me that they're the only service center in New England that replaces Model Y glass, and repair is now scheduled. Wish that was clear when I wasted 3 weeks for the Dedham center to just cancel my appointment. It will cost $1600.

As for the glass... they asked if my son was ok (he is) and then suggested this is working as designed, so that you can kick the glass out in an emergency. I get that argument, but man was this not a kick, this was a knock at best. Way too fragile. Be careful out there.

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash
Nobody's talking about the poindexter kid with an obviously pointy head, lol. Seriously though, I would guess that either there was a defect in the glass at manufacture, or the installation was incorrect and was stressing the glass panel. Either way, I'd address the issue with Tesla and see what they say. It's pretty obvious that the glass is capable of withstanding normal road hazards, or there would be thousands of other cases in the media.

This point has been raised before, but just to give a concrete example of the difference in strength between a convex and a concave surface, take an egg and try to crush it lengthwise between your palms. Now take one of the ends and try to push your finger out from the inside. You’ll notice quite a bit of difference.

Those forums have been used many times for clueless people expressing their displeasure with something Tesla that they have zero understanding. Those posters often report an "issue" and always claim that Tesla is at fault. This has been observed in several TMC subforums. As time passes, some of those posts get filtered out by TMC members and proven to be wrong. What is really bad, which applies to this very thread, that there are no updates on the subject.

OP comes in, faults Tesla because his kid destroyed it and then dissapears. No updates, no admitnce of self wrong doing, nothing.

In any case, anonymous forums are a blessing for those kind of folks. Just show up, do the bitching, understand nothing and waste other's time.

Next topic - my neighbour dropped a brick on my Tesla and I am curious why the roof sucks and I want Tesla to pay for it and Ellon to apologize.

There's clearly a small faction of posters here who cling to the "defective glass, Tesla's fault." perspective.

If the fragility of the Tesla roof glass were an issue, we would be hearing about it from the anti-Tesla members of the auto media. I'm guessing there aren't very many instances when the integrity of the glass from the inside is being tested/challenged. The convex/concave differences in strength are hard to dispute, though.

Reactions: GOVA