Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extremely hot temperatures inside the cabin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had our Tesla model right now for about a week and we've noticed that the spike in temperature rises to around 130°, we recently bought sunshade for the panoramic roof and the windshield and with both of them on the temperature still rises to around 130° Plus. We have the cabin overheat protection on but it doesn't seem to be very effective any suggestions tips or helps would be greatly appreciated. I live in South Florida the car is not garage as we do not have a garage and we do not have any shaded area to park the car

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220911-124445_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220911-124445_Tesla.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 495
Ceramic tint on the windows. 70% front wind shield and rest of car as dark as local law allows. In the North East 50% all around is sufficient. On the roof - instead of tint install the sunshade. Topfit and other brands will work great. The big honker of a windshield drives a lot of heat and a sun shade there will do the trick. Impressive how much solar gain comes through that front windshield and how much a windshield cover reduces that when the car is sitting. Also make sure your cabin heat protection is set to a/c - although it will drain the battery. I added all the above and it does help significantly.

130 is nothing and all the cars you had in south Florida before this one did the same. This may just be the first car you have which reports inside temperature to you front and center.
I’m on the west coast of Florida and see 150+ with no issues. Not an issue.
Cabin overheat was not designed to protect the interior but to make it more comfortable to you when you re-enter after parking it somewhere (why it only lasts for 12 hours after parking it). If you would like it enabled for that purpose but feel it’s not doing it’s job, make sure you have it setup to work with the ac on (you can set it to use just the blower motor without ac).

130 is nothing and all the cars you had in south Florida before this one did the same. This may just be the first car you have which reports inside temperature to you front and center.
I’m on the west coast of Florida and see 150+ with no issues. Not an issue.

Ditto. I live on the Florida Panhandle. All cars get hot inside during the summer months. Unfortunately, knowing the actual temperature can make you think about it too much.

Cabin overheat was not designed to protect the interior but to make it more comfortable to you when you re-enter after parking it somewhere (why it only lasts for 12 hours after parking it).

Cabin overheat was actually introduced in 2016 as a safety feature in case someone accidentally left a child or dog in the car. That's why it is under the Safety Menu.

See this post in thread 'Cabin overheat protection in Arizona' Cabin overheat protection in Arizona

1662928789314.png

Last edited:
If cabin overheat protection stops working when set to On or On with No AC you can try logging out of the Tesla app on your phone and log back in. As noted, to extend cabin overheat being active beyond 12 hours you can either drive the vehicle or use the Tesla app to unlock and then lock the doors.

I've found that installing a solar screen on the roof, and using a reflective windshield screen when parked, makes a huge difference. For one, the steering wheel isn't burning my hands when I first get into car. Also the solar roof screen helps to cut down on the residual heat that makes it through the glass roof. In our area it's well above 100° on most days in the summer, and this has made a big difference. Cabin overheat protect just sucks down the battery too quickly under the conditions where we live. My next step is going to be installing ceramic window film.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I highly recommend ceramic tint on all windows (not roof) and like @Icehedgehog88 says, tint the windscreen with 70%. It's visually clear so no obstruction of your view in any way, but goes a very long way in rejecting heat and keeping the cabin cool. In terms of best bang for the buck, ceramic tint on the windscreen will give you the best value. Next comes the front/rear/trunk windows. After that, sunshade on the roof.

OP is already using a windshield AND roof shade.

He's asking about the cabin overheat protection not working.

Kinda, but they are also talking about "130 degrees inside the car.. extreme temperatures" and that isnt abnormal in the slightest for the inside of a car. Every car the OP has had is likely that hot, or hotter inside, in similar circumstances.

A lot of people get all worked up about the temperature on the inside of their car, but thats only because they now have something that is giving them that temperature, where their last car likely didnt have that.

Cabin overheat protection was put in by tesla to protect "kids and pets" NOT "the electronics" but people seem to think they "need" to use it "to protect the car" for some reason.

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 1.44.59 PM.png

Elon, on the release of the cabin overheat protection. "Babies and pets" not "protect the electronics".

Note that while I quoted you at the beginning of my post, I am not trying to insinuate that you said this, just pointing out that a lot of people (like it appears this OP is doing) are thinking "I need cabin overheat protection to protect the car!" when they dont, at least not on model 3s or Ys. Perhaps old model S and X are different.

True, but I understand his point to be that he is expecting cabin overheat to work better. Last week it was 106 degrees up here in the "high desert". My X stayed well under 110 while our ice car with no protection was registering 142 in the car.

Reactions: Pianewman
Agree with Silicon Desert. OP is asking if his car should get to 130f if the cabin overheat protection is working properly.

I'm in Fort Worth, TX, with consecutive weeks and weeks of 100f outdoor temps. My cabin overheat protection keeps my car around 105-110f, and it has never gotten anywhere near 130f.

Agree with Silicon Desert. OP is asking if his car should get to 130f if the cabin overheat protection is working properly.

I'm in Fort Worth, TX, with consecutive weeks and weeks of 100f outdoor temps. My cabin overheat protection keeps my car around 105-110f, and it has never gotten anywhere near 130f.

They didnt say if they were using Fan only, or what the charge level of the car was, or how long they left the car out in the sun. They only said they dont have a garage / shade to park in. Since they said they "dont have a garage" not that "our garage is full so we cant park in it", Its likely they also dont have home charging.

They also may be leaving it on and expecting it to run 24/7 (cabin overheat protection). They asked for "tips or advice" which Is why I was giving mine of "your other cars got that hot or hotter, dont worry about it, especially if you dont have home charging and are just trying to run this all the time to theoretically protect the car from something".

If cabin overheat protection stops working when set to On or On with No AC you can try logging out of the Tesla app on your phone and log back in. As noted, to extend cabin overheat being active beyond 12 hours you can either drive the vehicle or use the Tesla app to unlock and then lock the doors.
I did a number of experiments earlier this summer. Deactivate and reactivate Climate and/or COP, unlock and lock remotely, open the tailgate remotely and close again etc. I could find no way to reset the 12-hour time-out for COP by using the app. The only method that works is that I go out to the car very late at night (early a.m. usually), open the door for a few seconds and close it again. Then, the car keeps COP active for another 12 hours. I usually inquire of the Tessie Control skill through my Alexa (Echo) devices to verify yhat the daytime cabin temperature is running around 100°, and then again to turn on full Climate A/C some minutes before I expect to drive out somewhere.

There have been some rumors of upcoming COP enhancements. I'm hoping this includes better remote app control for extending the time limit and or adjusting the COP temperature, though for me the 100° setting is a pretty good one.

It's very true that my other cars get super-hot and simply aren't monitored the way the Tesla is. It's also true that these cars suffer interior aging year by year, and to me it's a fantastic feature that I could prevent this from happening in my Tesla. So to me, whether or not the original design intent of COP was to protect the car vs the survivability or comfort of occupants, I do find COP extrenely useful to protect the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Pianewman
I did a number of experiments earlier this summer. Deactivate and reactivate Climate and/or COP, unlock and lock remotely, open the tailgate remotely and close again etc. I could find no way to reset the 12-hour time-out for COP by using the app. The only method that works is that I go out to the car very late at night (early a.m. usually), open the door for a few seconds and close it again. Then, the car keeps COP active for another 12 hours. I usually inquire of the Tessie Control skill through my Alexa (Echo) devices to verify yhat the daytime cabin temperature is running around 100°, and then again to turn on full Climate A/C some minutes before I expect to drive out somewhere.

There have been some rumors of upcoming COP enhancements. I'm hoping this includes better remote app control for extending the time limit and or adjusting the COP temperature, though for me the 100° setting is a pretty good one.

It's very true that my other cars get super-hot and simply aren't monitored the way the Tesla is. It's also true that these cars suffer interior aging year by year, and to me it's a fantastic feature that I could prevent this from happening in my Tesla. So to me, whether or not the original design intent of COP was to protect the car vs the survivability or comfort of occupants, I do find COP extrenely useful to protect the car.

AZ is one of the few places that is likely hotter than where I am, but I have had my car 4 years, never used COP and my car still looks brand new inside. Now, I DO have a really good windshield screen, and I also have 3m crystalline tint all around the car (20%), so that may be part of it in my case.

AZ is one of the few places that is likely hotter than where I am, but I have had my car 4 years, never used COP and my car still looks brand new inside. Now, I DO have a really good windshield screen, and I also have 3m crystalline tint all around the car (20%), so that may be part of it in my case.
There's no question that high quality tent helps both temperature and UV damage. However, it slows but doesn't prevent damage over years. The sun is quite strong especially at higher elevations. I have 3M crystalline on all the Tesla glass except the windshield, and definitely this will help with UV damage, but the interior sits well over 150 degrees for 8 or 9 months out of the year without COP. I love that feature.

From years of sourcing restoration parts from junkyards, I can tell you that Arizona is heaven for rust-free body parts, but hell for interior upholstery and plastic parts. Even for cars that were tinted. Northwest or Canada was the place to get interior stuff, especially for my old Volvos that were helpfully quite popular up there.