Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extremely long body shop times for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S is in the Tesla body shop in the Bay Area for repairs after an accident. Tesla can't even look at the vehicle until April and beyond that they are warning me that parts are in short supply so the repair could take months.
Insurance will only cover me for 30 days of rental. Beyond that, I am on my own according to insurance.
Anyone else having this problem?
If so, how have you dealt with this? It seems unacceptable for a luxury vehicle at this price range.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
It is unacceptable. But it is reality. It's a huge black eye on tesla for failing to make enough part inventory (all to keep cash flow up and costs down).

Unfortunately this forum is riddled with similar experiences.

1) Yes, it's unacceptable.

2) Stop considering Tesla a luxury car. You'll be much happier in the end.

Ok, I'll drop "luxury" from the description. The point is still that I won't have a car for months, will be paying for it to sit in a repair shop and will be paying out of pocket for a rental on top of that. Are there any legal options worth considering?

Ok, I'll drop "luxury" from the description. The point is still that I won't have a car for months, will be paying for it to sit in a repair shop and will be paying out of pocket for a rental on top of that. Are there any legal options worth considering?

My single biggest fear in terms of ownership of this car. It's bad.

But no, I can't imagine any legal remedies or obligations on the part of Tesla that will be fruitful for you in the end.

My Model S is in the Tesla body shop in the Bay Area for repairs after an accident. Tesla can't even look at the vehicle until April and beyond that they are warning me that parts are in short supply so the repair could take months.
Insurance will only cover me for 30 days of rental. Beyond that, I am on my own according to insurance.
If so, how have you dealt with this? It seems unacceptable for a luxury vehicle at this price range.

What parts are they saying will take a long time?

Is the car driveable? If so, spend some time with the insurance company explaining the benefit to paying for the body shop to reassemble the car so you can drive it in the interim. An additional hour or two of labor to reassemble the car and then dismantle it again is way cheaper than keeping you in a rental car for months. I've successfully done this with my Tesla. It just takes reaching someone at the insurance company with a brain and with the authority to use it.

If your car isn't driveable then obviously this advice is useless to you.

Is the car driveable? If so, spend some time with the insurance company explaining the benefit to paying for the body shop to reassemble the car so you can drive it in the interim. An additional hour or two of labor to reassemble the car and then dismantle it again is way cheaper than keeping you in a rental car for months. I've successfully done this with my Tesla. It just takes reaching someone at the insurance company with a brain and with the authority to use it.

If your car isn't driveable then obviously this advice is useless to you.
If he only has 30 days rental coverage why would his insurance company care what his costs are after those 30 days are up?

I was able to shame Tesla into compensating me for my beyond-covered rental costs in the form of a credit toward my next service. Way better than nothing.

Yea, it sucks. I'm not surprised though. Luckily mine was driveable after someone ran into my car in a parking lot. Took 4 months to get parts, insurance, body shop to get off their ass, etc. All for a quarter panel and a bumper. If your damage is more than that I would expect you'll be waiting at least that long.

Yes I have a model S in repairs for a fender/bender since Nov 4, 2018.... Parts are part of the problem. The body shop is the other part major issue. If the body shop had ordered all the parts they needed initially they would have finished the work a month ago. But no...It currently takes 5 to 7 business days to get a part. So every time they discover they forgot something the work gets pushed. Very frustration
Tesla part service have been of some help in identifying the problem but there is only so much they can do.

Its tesla's master plan especially if the car is leased.

Make care undriveable when it has a collision on file, so they can get the money back on lower miles when you have to return it.
:D

No but seriously, it really sucks especially when you still need to make payments on a non derivable car, and the reason is because parts are on back-ordered til idontknowhen.