TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Eye-Catching Matte Black Tesla Model 3 Goes Out In The Wild

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by S'toon, Apr 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. NC-3

NC-3 Member

Nice! Finally an interior shot with seats that are not white leather ;)

2. Rowsby

Rowsby Member

The white interior was stark. This one, has wood trim. And I loves me some wood. Just a simple change in materials makes the dash / interior so much more inviting.

3. RaWPower

RaWPower Member

I love the interior and black leather seats. I'm still not entirely sold on matte color but the more I see it the more I am swayed to go matte black.

4. TheGameMaker

TheGameMaker Member

Am I the only one that watched the test ride videos on launch night and seen the abundance of greasy fingerprints all over the matte finish car? Sure it looks nice, but I bet it's hard as hell to keep clean.

• Like x 1
  5. Blue Millenium

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of any matte car color, no matter what car it is on. Looks like primer.

• Like x 3
  7. plankeye

plankeye That Vegan EV Guy

At least the black looks black in the daylight. In the dim light, it looked more like dark gray.

Sweet looking seats too. They look ready for some serious cornering.

8. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

It was stunning at the party. Are there any other cars out there that are matte black from the factory? I wonder how they compare? Looks amazing when it is murdered out.

9. TheGameMaker

TheGameMaker Member

The first photo appears to have a filter applied.

10. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I will never own another black car. Every minor dent and ding is very obvious, and even the smallest amount of dust on the car looks horrible.

You'd have to be crazy or love washing your car every single day to want a black car.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  11. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

Boner material !!! Should have ordered 2.:(

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. ummgood

ummgood Member

Mercedes offers it on their SL class car. They have blue, gold, black, and silver in matte I believe.

13. plankeye

plankeye That Vegan EV Guy

Yeah, that's why I'll probably get a white one.

14. NikolasRide

NikolasRide Member

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I prefer the high gloss finishes with chrome accents on the Teslas.
    Tesla spends so much time on painting and finishing, they are meant to stand out on their own. Not masked with a gimmicky paint jobs that looks like the corner shop just wrapped the car

• Like x 2
  15. NikolasRide

NikolasRide Member

I'll probably opt for the silver 3 with the blacked-out windows. I thought that was the most impressive of the reveal models

16. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

Elon's statement makes me think he doesn't know much about mass-producing matte paint vehicles. It's a very time-consuming painting process and the care required to maintain the paint is significant. I own a factory painted matte vehicle. I had to sign a disclaimer outlining all the special care required before I could order the paint. No waxes of any type, no shine or silicone chemicals, no car washes, special cleaning materials, the list goes on. It's so far from a mass production option. You'd think they'd learn from past mistakes (cough falcon wing doors cough) not to give themselves problems that they can avoid. I guarantee you the first soccer mom that runs a matte-painted model 3 through the car wash will be very unhappy.

• Informative x 1
  17. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

#57 thecloud, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Not a fan of the matte paint either. Like ecarfan said, it's like looking at an unfinished primer coat.

18. scrapple

scrapple Member

jeep wrangler willy rubicon

19. HanSolo

HanSolo Member

I think I will stick with the tri-coat white one. I have owned a black Ford Escape and a black Ford Fusion more recently. It literally showed every single blemish you could think of from scratches(lots of road construction here), door dings(dumb people), paint blemishes, and so on. They were also insanely hot during the summer as it would feel like sitting in a furnace until the a/c did its job.

20. Drivin

Drivin Member

That is a good looking car.
    Although the silver one from yesterday also looked really good.

Look forward to seeing how a red looks.