Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ-Pass Behind Nosecone With Front License Plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Intermittent success, yes. Ultimately couldn't rely on it and hated the idea of going through an unmanned gated toll and being stuck because the transponder didn't trigger correctly that time.

I ended up installing the license plate transponder onto the license plate frame as it was designed. Fully visible, ugly as can be, but it works every time.

Would love to find a solution that works reliably that's hidden behind the nose cone, but I don't know of one.

I remember even looking up the manufacturer of the toll transponder in Germany (IIRC) and trying to figure out if they have the ability to add in an external antenna. Nothing that I could find though.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
I am in New Jersey, do have a front license plate, and have an E-ZPass acount from the New York Service Center.

The following is the summary of my experiments:

Internal tag
1) To the right of the autopilot camera -- Unreliable
2) On the autopilot enclosure, above the mirror -- Did not work
3) On/under the pano roof -- Did not work
4) Under the trunk shelf -- Did not work

External tag
5) At the top of license plate -- Reliable, uber ugly
6) At the bottom of license plate -- Unreliable
7) On the grille, to the far side of the autopilot radar -- Unreliable
8) In the nosecone, above (not in front of) metal bumper -- Did not work

I am in New Jersey, do have a front license plate, and have an E-ZPass acount from the New York Service Center.

The following is the summary of my experiments:

Internal tag
1) To the right of the autopilot camera -- Unreliable
2) On the autopilot enclosure, above the mirror -- Did not work
3) On/under the pano roof -- Did not work
4) Under the trunk shelf -- Did not work

External tag
5) At the top of license plate -- Reliable, uber ugly
6) At the bottom of license plate -- Unreliable
7) On the grille, to the far side of the autopilot radar -- Unreliable
8) In the nosecone, above (not in front of) metal bumper -- Did not work

Thanks! This is helpful. I discovered that driving through the tolls, with an interior mounted transponder works, though differently. In Massachusetts, the camera takes a picture of your plate and then matches it with one of the transponders on your account. As long as you have registered your Tesla plate on your account, you won't be fined. And the tolls take a day longer to register. In effect. you don't have to have the transponder in the car at all...but I had it on the windshield before I realized the "problem", and called the Mass RMV. The exterior transponder is really quite an eye sore, but is getting installed on the front plate, at the top, today.