Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ-Pass Black Twinkie On Bottom Grill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an ezpass mounted on license plate. Functionally it is great, but looks wise, kind of like a wart on a nose.

Anyway, anyone have luck tying the ezpass front mounted one to the grill under the nose?

That would look better, well hidden, but does it work?

I can't speak to the grill location, but -- My Easy Pass works just fine mounted on my Model S windshield in the designated area. Did you try that first?
And by the way, do you have a Model S or an X? The Model S windshields have a specific location for the transponder since before my car was made in August 2015. Not aware of what provision Tesla might have made on the Model X....

Yes, saw I could put in that area, but figured I try the front mounted one to see if it would be more out of the way of things.

I do like that it is not on windshield, but now not sure about on front.

Will maybe try the grill under and see if that works.

Also, sometimes I wonder if these are even necessary at this point, as I'm pretty sure you can just register, drive without them, and it will read your license plate going through.

...Also, sometimes I wonder if these are even necessary at this point, as I'm pretty sure you can just register, drive without them, and it will read your license plate going through.

Hmm, not everywhere, maybe. Might depend on where you drive. We just made a drive from Boston area to Washington,DC and back, and passed through many toll gates in several different jurisdictions. Not sure I'd want to assume they all would simply send a bill. For one thing, we crossed at least one bridge in NYC area that has gates -- you cannot pass without paying the toll or having a successful reading of the EasyPass. Not sure what would happen there.

I've been thinking about this recently. On my MS I have it mounted on the grill below the nose cone using J-hooks. Haven't looked at the grill on the MX yet.

What I was really wondering is if the "black bar" can be mounted on the rear tag and still work? Couldn't find anything on a quick google search. Thoughts?

I've been thinking about this recently. On my MS I have it mounted on the grill below the nose cone using J-hooks. Haven't looked at the grill on the MX yet.

What I was really wondering is if the "black bar" can be mounted on the rear tag and still work? Couldn't find anything on a quick google search. Thoughts?

I doubt it would work on the rear of the car, but I don't know for sure.

Just got an ezpass mounted on license plate. Functionally it is great, but looks wise, kind of like a wart on a nose.

Anyway, anyone have luck tying the ezpass front mounted one to the grill under the nose?

That would look better, well hidden, but does it work?
Mind posting a picture ? I'm considering getting the same.
Thanks !

@masam

Here you go. Not too bad, but really not the greatest look.

The question is if I can attach down below with black zip ties, and if it would work.

Attachments

• EZPASS.jpg
    EZPASS.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Helpful
Reactions: masam
Also just discovered that if it reads your plate instead of card, it will bill you a dollar a pop after 2 a month.

So better to have the device. (Though I can't help but think at this point they shouldn't be needed)

Yea, as of this Friday at 10pm, the MA Pike will be all-electronic tolling. You could skip the EZPass, but the rate will be higher.

Also, if you go up and down the East Coast at all, it's best to have it, since not all states do all-electronic tolling yet. No one wants to sit in the old school toll booth traffic jams anymore.

I used to lose an hour or more sitting in them in NJ and NYC. :eek:

I have my transponder mounted in the designated spot on the windshield and it works about 90% of the time. Every once in a while, though, it isn't read even though properly mounted. I've had it happen a few times going through the tolls on the Whitestone Bridge.

In those cases, the attendant came to my car and I handed them my transponder. they did their thing with it, which raised the gate. What would you do if this happened with the twinkie? Or do you have the regular one as backup in your car?

Also, where can I get the twinkie? I might want for my Model 3. Maybe. :) Just at the EZPass office?

I have my transponder mounted in the designated spot on the windshield and it works about 90% of the time. Every once in a while, though, it isn't read even though properly mounted. I've had it happen a few times going through the tolls on the Whitestone Bridge.

In those cases, the attendant came to my car and I handed them my transponder. they did their thing with it, which raised the gate. What would you do if this happened with the twinkie? Or do you have the regular one as backup in your car?

Also, where can I get the twinkie? I might want for my Model 3. Maybe. :) Just at the EZPass office?

With the twinkie you point out that the transponder is on your front plate.
That's the best you can do. I find these finicky toll plazas are best taken at LOW speed.

I

Also, where can I get the twinkie? Just at the EZPass office?

I don't encounter gates in my travel so if it doesn't work I just keep on going. They snap photo of license plate, connect it to my account and bill that way automatically.

I would suspect the Twinkie on the front like that will work more reliably that in window.

To get the Twinkie, i just called and they sent me one.

I'm not sure you can have both it and the square one active. But you could ask.

I do like Twinkie better than having square in window. But only after I moved Twinkie to bottom of license plate. On top didn't look so great..