Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass Difficulties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd leave it on your bumper, and let EZ pass worry about it.

If you have a properly mounted transponder and your account has all your correct information, they shouldn't be sending you warning letters.

Not so with the New York Bridge Authority. Their scanners can't read plate-mounted external transponders, and they don't have license plate readers. They do have turnstile gates. So you just get stuck until somebody comes over to take your money.

In Illinois....only 1 car requires a transponder and it doesn't even need to go through tolls. If your other cars license plate is registered under your "transpondered" car....then you don't have to worry about mounting an IPASS. I have 1 IPASS and with 4 cars on my account. ( of course I know an Ezpass isn't an IPASS).
See if you can lobby for the same system that Illinois has.

I just called the iPass Customer Call center and they said you HAVE to have a transponder in every car you own. You can use the same transponder in all your cars, but you have to have it when you go through tolls. I just received my Model X and after seeing this post was pleasantly surprised thinking I didn't have to attach a transponder, however finding it difficult to reconcile with what the iPass Call Center is telling me. How are you sure you don't need a transponder in every car? Just trying to understand. Thanks.

I just called the iPass Customer Call center and they said you HAVE to have a transponder in every car you own. You can use the same transponder in all your cars, but you have to have it when you go through tolls. I just received my Model X and after seeing this post was pleasantly surprised thinking I didn't have to attach a transponder, however finding it difficult to reconcile with what the iPass Call Center is telling me. How are you sure you don't need a transponder in every car? Just trying to understand. Thanks.
I'm sure because I only have 1 transponder. I have 4 cars. I have more calls listed in my account than I have transponders.

Not so with the New York Bridge Authority. Their scanners can't read plate-mounted external transponders, and they don't have license plate readers. They do have turnstile gates. So you just get stuck until somebody comes over to take your money.
That's not accurate, I've driven through NYC many times (I have family there), and only once (out of dozens of times) did I get stuck until the traffic cop opened the gate for me. Bridges, tunnels, etc.

only once (out of dozens of times) did I get stuck until the traffic cop opened the gate for me. Bridges, tunnels, etc.

Well, the toll gate on the eastbound I-84 bridge just east of Newburgh (named for Hamilton Fish) failed to read my license-mounted transponder, and they don't have license plate readers. It was quite a nuisance for me. They made me cross six lanes of traffic and go into the office.

Maybe stuff works better downstream nearer NYC.