Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass Difficulties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found the solution to properly mounting an EZ Pass (or other) transponder on a 2015 Model S? At first I used my old square unit (about 4" x 4"), but it was larger than the rectangle to the right of the mirror intended for transponders. Then I used a license plate mounted unit, but the Tesla bumper is too low for our local (Richmond VA) scanners to pick it up. Then I tried the smaller profile window unit (about 2" x 4"), which would seem to fit perfectly in the black space adjacent to the mirror. Unfortunately I continue to violate the toll booths on a daily basis. I've even tried holding the darn thing out the window, but that doesn't seem to work either. Tesla service says the smaller transponders work perfectly in the blacked out windshield space, but not for me.

Any advice?

I'd leave it on your bumper, and let EZ pass worry about it.

If you have a properly mounted transponder and your account has all your correct information, they shouldn't be sending you warning letters.

I'd leave it on your bumper, and let EZ pass worry about it.

If you have a properly mounted transponder and your account has all your correct information, they shouldn't be sending you warning letters.

Agree with Max*. I don't have experience with Richmond area, but I have license plate mounted EZPass and regularly use throughout the DC metro area and north to Philadelphia and have never had an issue.

In Illinois....only 1 car requires a transponder and it doesn't even need to go through tolls. If your other cars license plate is registered under your "transpondered" car....then you don't have to worry about mounting an IPASS. I have 1 IPASS and with 4 cars on my account. ( of course I know an Ezpass isn't an IPASS).
See if you can lobby for the same system that Illinois has.

FWIW, in my wife's June 2015 S70D the only place we could find that the FasTrak transponder works is in the rear lift gate window. It is mounted down low and centered so it is hidden in the rear view mirror by the center headrest. Some folks have instead Velcro it under the parcel shelf. Same concept. Works for us.

Has anyone found the solution to properly mounting an EZ Pass (or other) transponder on a 2015 Model S? At first I used my old square unit (about 4" x 4"), but it was larger than the rectangle to the right of the mirror intended for transponders. Then I used a license plate mounted unit, but the Tesla bumper is too low for our local (Richmond VA) scanners to pick it up. Then I tried the smaller profile window unit (about 2" x 4"), which would seem to fit perfectly in the black space adjacent to the mirror. Unfortunately I continue to violate the toll booths on a daily basis. I've even tried holding the darn thing out the window, but that doesn't seem to work either. Tesla service says the smaller transponders work perfectly in the blacked out windshield space, but not for me.

Any advice?

I am on my third try for a transponder that works. I was told by the Tesla Grand Ave, Chicago office that the newer ~2X4" white iPass transponder would work on a specific area on the right side of the rear view mirror; it Doesn't.
Holding it out the driver side window works for some toll stations but it depends on where they pick up the transponder signal; thus it works leaving South Bend near Notre Dame but does not work a couple miles west at the US 31 bypass toll station.
However, thus far we have had success at all currently used toll stations in Indiana and the Chicago area by holding it just above the car centre through the open sunroof! Tough luck if it pouring down rain!

Advice from Tesla has been evasive at best but I feel it should be Tesla's responsibility to fix the problem.

Just received the clunky black 8" long license plate "mountable" transponder today as the recommended solution from the Tesla Villa Park Service Centre. I now need to ask them how they mounted the awful looking thing as the chrome frame must come off to mount it! Really looks pathetic and I have not yet tried it but reading the blogs gives me little hope that it is a good solution.

Come Tesla, get in the SERVICE game!

slowjt

I am on my third try for a transponder that works. I was told by the Tesla Grand Ave, Chicago office that the newer ~2X4" white iPass transponder would work on a specific area on the right side of the rear view mirror; it Doesn't.
Holding it out the driver side window works for some toll stations but it depends on where they pick up the transponder signal; thus it works leaving South Bend near Notre Dame but does not work a couple miles west at the US 31 bypass toll station.
However, thus far we have had success at all currently used toll stations in Indiana and the Chicago area by holding it just above the car centre through the open sunroof! Tough luck if it pouring down rain!

Advice from Tesla has been evasive at best but I feel it should be Tesla's responsibility to fix the problem.

Just received the clunky black 8" long license plate "mountable" transponder today as the recommended solution from the Tesla Villa Park Service Centre. I now need to ask them how they mounted the awful looking thing as the chrome frame must come off to mount it! Really looks pathetic and I have not yet tried it but reading the blogs gives me little hope that it is a good solution.

Come Tesla, get in the SERVICE game!

slowjt
Is the Tesla your only car?

If not....you don't need an Ipass transponder.

does tesla require the use of a transponder? if yes then it is their responsibility to make it work, if no, why would anyone think that it is their responsibility to make someone else's technology work on their car?
there are a few solutions that tesla seems to have offered. you could mount that tag transponder on the tag or you could (if you own an older model s) mount it inside the nosecone.
maybe tesla could make more space available on the windshield to accomodate these tags, but for one thing their usage is not universal and a redesign is a costly complicated issue that doesn't seem to have a big demand among owners.

does tesla require the use of a transponder? if yes then it is their responsibility to make it work, if no, why would anyone think that it is their responsibility to make someone else's technology work on their car?
there are a few solutions that tesla seems to have offered. you could mount that tag transponder on the tag or you could (if you own an older model s) mount it inside the nosecone.
maybe tesla could make more space available on the windshield to accomodate these tags, but for one thing their usage is not universal and a redesign is a costly complicated issue that doesn't seem to have a big demand among owners.
In Illinois - You don't need an IPASS on every car that you own. Just one of them.

This may be a non-issue.

Thank you all. As I mentioned in my original post, I tried the license plate mounted transponder, mounted at the bottom of the plate, but it only worked sporadically. We're not supposed to mount it to the top screws b/c it blocks the word "Virginia." As for all the "blow the toll gate and let EZ Pass figure it out" responses, the problem locally is there are barriers that do not raise when I approach. I have to bump them to get them to raise and then I get the red light & buzzing sound. I've switched transponders, so I know it's not defective. I haven't tried holding it out the sun roof. I'll try that next. Otherwise I could go back to the plate version and mount it to the top screws and cover the word Virginia.

Thank you all. As I mentioned in my original post, I tried the license plate mounted transponder, mounted at the bottom of the plate, but it only worked sporadically. We're not supposed to mount it to the top screws b/c it blocks the word "Virginia." As for all the "blow the toll gate and let EZ Pass figure it out" responses, the problem locally is there are barriers that do not raise when I approach. I have to bump them to get them to raise and then I get the red light & buzzing sound. I've switched transponders, so I know it's not defective. I haven't tried holding it out the sun roof. I'll try that next. Otherwise I could go back to the plate version and mount it to the top screws and cover the word Virginia.
I still don't understand why you believe you need a transponder at all. You don't need one.

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
I gave you a dislike because it seems that you missed the part where he said that there are barriers that will not open without a tag?

Wait.. First of all - I'm not caring about dislikes anymore.

Secondly IPASS is all open road tolling. There are no more open road IPASS gates. Not even on the exists.

HE may not know that you can go through open road tolling even though you don't have an IPSS.

I live here. I know this.

Last edited: