Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ-Pass Front License Transponder Mounting Options with Model S License Plate Holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone figured out how to attach an EZ Pass front license plate transponder to the Model S front license plate holder? With the license plate frame not being flush with the actual license plate screws, it doesn't seem like the the EZ Pass Transponder can be attached with the screws that come with the Tesla front license plate frame.

No - I put mine to eight of rear view mirror. Works fine and I can't see it

I didn't want to see the white box transponder inside the car so I bought the version that attaches to the front license plate frame but the Refresh Model S license plate frame is not compatible with the EZ Pass license plate transponder with the screws that comes with the Tesla license plate frame.

Has anyone tried the approach on the following video for a nice clean stealthy look? Seems this is the best way to attach the ugly EZ Pass transponder.

Last edited:
I zip tied mine to the area under the front plate -- works great there and not too visible.

ezpass.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: DCEV
With the license plate frame not being flush with the actual license plate screws, it doesn't seem like the the EZ Pass Transponder can be attached with the screws that come with the Tesla front license plate frame.
I used some large washers to sit under the external transponder so it sat on the license plate. I don't think I replaced the screws.

• Helpful
I thought about mounting it in the grill area as well but I was concerned about radar interference.

Do we know with Refresh Cars, exactly where the radar is located?

I zip tied mine to the area under the front plate -- works great there and not too visible.

View attachment 393098

That looks good and I think I will do what you have done as well. This way if I need to replace or service the EZ Pass Transponder it is easily accessible. Do you think the grill is strong enough to hold the transponder?I'm going to try and find black zip ties to make the installation less visible and perhaps use 4 zip ties to spread the load more evenly onto the grill.

Thanks for sharing the photo!

That's a great idea because it would also cushion the transponder and make better contact with the grill. I guess you couldn't really stick Velcro on the grill so you only put Velcro on the bottom of the transponder?

There is not enough area to put Velcro on the grill The Velcro on the bottom supports most of the weight. The tie wraps are extra insurance that is does not fall off!.
ezpass2.jpg

It looks worse in this closeup.

• Helpful
There is not enough area to put Velcro on the grill The Velcro on the bottom supports most of the weight. The tie wraps are extra insurance that is does not fall off!.View attachment 393183
It looks worse in this closeup.

I understand better now and that's a great setup. I think I will just put a layer of soft Velcro on underside of the transponder so that it makes better contact with the grill and then have Velcro on the bottom side like what you have done and then add the zip ties in black for additional security but I understand now that the weight is supported mostly by the Velcro.

Just as long as we are all SURE that's not where the radar is. Did they move the radar higher up where the bumper is for Refresh cars?

Make sure you register your plates on the EZ pass website so if you have any issues being picked up on the road they can go back to that.

Good point -- Thanks for the reminder. I am doing a tag transfer so it will eventually be the same tags but until I get the tag transfer paperwork confirmed, I have tags so let me login to the EZ PAss Web site and update the tag information for now...

Anyone else considering getting EZ Pass, get it from Delaware! They have no monthly or annual maintenance fees...

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
I didn't want to see the white box transponder inside the car so I bought the version that attaches to the front license plate frame but the Refresh Model S license plate frame is not compatible with the EZ Pass license plate transponder with the screws that comes with the Tesla license plate frame.

Has anyone tried the approach on the following video for a nice clean stealthy look? Seems this is the best way to attach the ugly EZ Pass transponder.

Yep I did the same thing on my Model S, put it behind the nosecone. Works fine. You can't see it at all.