Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone successfully enrolled in the NJ EZ Pass Green Discount Plan? Sounds like they want you to write them a physical letter requesting to be added to this program (What year is this again?)

:: Plan Descriptions and Discounts ::

Do you get a new, special tag of some sort? How do they know which tag you have is for the "Green Vehicle"?

As an aside...Why does one have to sign up for this at all, they already make you tell them your exact car model and license plate number, so once they see Tesla that should be enough to trigger this discount automatically.

thanks!!!

This is the response I got from them in the past, although there was no fax number in the email response, you might have to call or look for it on their site

NJ E-ZPass now offers a GREEN PASS program for individual account holders that own an eligible vehicle (vehicles that obtain at least 45 miles per gallon or meet the California Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) standard). Customers must enroll in the plan and provide proof of ownership eligibility by providing a copy of the vehicle registration to the address or fax number below; the vehicle registration must match the name on the E-ZPass account.

Thank you,

New Jersey E-ZPass Customer Service

I live in NJ, but use the NY EZpass (I believe nj has a monthly fee, and rarely use toll roads)
I just got the New York external tag (not a fan but they force external for the EV discount). Does anyone know if the discount is for the one state (in my case, New York) only, or will each state’s (mostly NJ)) electronic tolling program provide an EV discount to an out of state “green” tag?
Thanks

I live in NJ, but use the NY EZpass (I believe nj has a monthly fee, and rarely use toll roads)
I just got the New York external tag (not a fan but they force external for the EV discount). Does anyone know if the discount is for the one state (in my case, New York) only, or will each state’s (mostly NJ)) electronic tolling program provide an EV discount to an out of state “green” tag?
Thanks
How did you get the NY EZPass? I looked into that when my Tesla routed me out of Stuytown via Brooklyn, which cost $29 in tolls because the, uh, MTA? Port Authority? whoever controls the Battery tunnel and Verrazano and Goethals bridges charges "video tolling" rates for out of state EZ passes. But IIRC they needed me to provide an in-state address to send the transponder, so even though half my toll driving is in NY I gave up. Seems like it's just a intricate plan where out of staters subsidize the bridges.

Amusingly, if I can bear the crosstown traffic, leaving via the Holland tunnel is free.

How did you get the NY EZPass?
Really don't remember. I moved out of the city in 1986 (probably before EZ Pass was set up), so I might have just signed up with my address. They've been sending me stuff to NJ all along, including the front plate transponder last week. Try applying again?

Stuytown via Brooklyn
Dude, welcome to NY...LOL!
Seriously, going through Brooklyn is the absolute worst way to cross the Hudson from Stuytown.
If I'm not familiar with an area, I use both Apple Maps and Tesla Map.

out of staters subsidize the bridges.
Bridges were paid for decades ago (read Power Broker by Robert Caro...phenomenal book)

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I just took a drive down to Newark one day and did it in person. There’s an EX Pass Center there where you can pay your bill or deal with any account issues in person. It was last October during strict COVID protocols but it was a breeze. No wait times. Easy peez! Not sure where you are if that’s feasible for you. There are other EZ Pass centre’s you can go to.

I just looked up the Green Pass website on the NYS site and the Model Y is not even listed as eligible, granted this was updated in 2019 so the Model Y was not out yet. Amazing how outdated these sites are.
I was successful in getting a NY Green Pass for my model Y. In NY, you need to mail (yes, snail-mail) an application together with a copy of the registration. In my accompanying letter I mentioned that although the site did not list the model Y, the closest model listed there was the model 3. A few weeks later I received my tag. So it works (and my E-ZPass account still lists me as a model 3).

Reactions: suprax
I was successful in getting a NY Green Pass for my model Y. In NY, you need to mail (yes, snail-mail) an application together with a copy of the registration. In my accompanying letter I mentioned that although the site did not list the model Y, the closest model listed there was the model 3. A few weeks later I received my tag. So it works (and my E-ZPass account still lists me as a model 3).
I did this exact same process 2 weeks ago I just checked my account and noticed there is now a NY and PA Green pass plan added to my account along with my new tag which I assume I'll be receiving shortly. I also indicated Model 3 instead of Model Y as the NY EZpass site hasn't been updated since 2019 which was just before Model Y was released. @colea Which type of tag did you receive? This mini one but in green?

Attachments

• ezpass-transponder.jpg
    ezpass-transponder.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 637
Did you specify the car model to the agent? Presumably, there's something about the windshield that EZ pass doesn't like (even though as we all know, it works).
Or maybe they want to issue the discount tag that wasn't easily moved to prevent using it on an ICE car ?

Did you specify the car model to the agent? Presumably, there's something about the windshield that EZ pass doesn't like (even though as we all know, it works).
Or maybe they want to issue the discount tag that wasn't easily moved to prevent using it on an ICE car ?
I didn't, I just mentioned the NY Green plan. When the tag arrives and if it's the external one, I'll call back and see if there's an option of getting the mini internal one. Worth a shot.

I did this exact same process 2 weeks ago I just checked my account and noticed there is now a NY and PA Green pass plan added to my account along with my new tag which I assume I'll be receiving shortly. I also indicated Model 3 instead of Model Y as the NY EZpass site hasn't been updated since 2019 which was just before Model Y was released. @colea Which type of tag did you receive? This mini one but in green?
If only I had received the mini tag, What I actually got was the huge tag meant to be attached to the front license plate holder, but it didn't really fit, so I've attached it instead to the passenger side sun visor with rubber bands. Ugly, but works.

Reactions: suprax