Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the Tesla menu, the transponder can be placed above the head at the edge of the huge windshield. It works for me only half the time ... Not sure if it is just my transponder battery or not. Where do most people put it? Or just hold it in your hand, or using exterior one??

Same here. So far so good, but really dislike how it looks from outside though ..considering trying it overhead instead, but waiting on consensus that it works well there.

According to the manual, it should work ... see below on Pg 163 of Owner's Manual. I posted the question because for some reason, it only works for me 50% of the time. I am just not sure if others are experiencing the same or if it is just my transporter battery.

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 8.22.40 PM.png

So placing it midpoint in front of the cross piece before the falcons should work, assuming anywhere in the blue area should work? Just got my VA pass and was looking for a place to mount it. The S guys say it works on the bottom of the parcel shelf but I think the X cover behind the third row might be to low.

EZ-pass-thoughts.png

See the image above-- but modified with my questions. So right now my EZ Pass is located in the RED location shown. Just above and to the right of the rear view mirror. I just picked up my CPO Model X yesterday, and haven't actually even used/needed the EZ pass yet-- but this just made sense so I placed it there.

HOWEVER -- it is really an eye sore. I'm thinking about moving it, and I feel like the best option would be possibly where shown in the BLUE arrow above. So basically as far back as possible, just next to the wiring cover there. Has anyone placed their EZ Pass there? Does it work okay?

After having routinely bad luck with my EZ Pass in my various Model S vehicles, I'm hesitate to play games with the Model X. So if anyone has tried the "way back on the glass" method, any feedback would be appreciated! :)

View attachment 213487

See the image above-- but modified with my questions. So right now my EZ Pass is located in the RED location shown. Just above and to the right of the rear view mirror. I just picked up my CPO Model X yesterday, and haven't actually even used/needed the EZ pass yet-- but this just made sense so I placed it there.

HOWEVER -- it is really an eye sore. I'm thinking about moving it, and I feel like the best option would be possibly where shown in the BLUE arrow above. So basically as far back as possible, just next to the wiring cover there. Has anyone placed their EZ Pass there? Does it work okay?

After having routinely bad luck with my EZ Pass in my various Model S vehicles, I'm hesitate to play games with the Model X. So if anyone has tried the "way back on the glass" method, any feedback would be appreciated! :)
I had mine where the blue arrow is pointing, and I painted it matte black to match the headliner. Worked perfectly, but only tested in VA.

• Helpful
Reactions: arijaycomet
I had mine where the blue arrow is pointing, and I painted it matte black to match the headliner. Worked perfectly, but only tested in VA.

Funny, the biggest issue I have is it being bright white. I was thinking about painting it, too. What type of paint did you use? I didnt want to use any paint that might hinder it's ability to function properly. Either way I think I'll move it backwards closer to the rear of the vehicle and see how that works. Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like it being white and standing out so much :p

View attachment 213487

Mine is near the blue arrow - at the top of the windshield just on the passenger side of the conduit, and I've never had a problem with it reading, despite the transponder being over a decade old at this point.

• Informative
Funny, the biggest issue I have is it being bright white. I was thinking about painting it, too. What type of paint did you use? I didnt want to use any paint that might hinder it's ability to function properly. Either way I think I'll move it backwards closer to the rear of the vehicle and see how that works. Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like it being white and standing out so much :p

Rustoleum Black Matte spray paint, and I didn't paint the underside (the side which goes against the glass); only did the visible side. No issues whatsoever with paint or placement, and it's very discreet, both for the driver and the passenger.

According to the Tesla menu, the transponder can be placed above the head at the edge of the huge windshield. It works for me only half the time ... Not sure if it is just my transponder battery or not. Where do most people put it? Or just hold it in your hand, or using exterior one??
During my 165 miles each way roundtrip, I placed it at the top of the windshield on the passenger side. Works all the time. It's the big rectangular one. Not tried with the half sized one.

I have used mine (EZ-PASS) in various states (VA, PA, IL, IN, OH, WV, MD, NJ, NY) and it has worked well. My placement is on the windshield, in the corner behind the driver's head. I was careful to offset it a bit from the exact corner so I could still use the Tesla provided sunscreen.