Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass Mounting- Problem Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want to point out that the $15 kort677 was a "roundtrip" toll. The main crossings into NYC, like the George Washington Bridge, etc., charge double the toll on the way in, and no toll on the way out.

Edit: I just looked up the toll for the Golden Gate bridge, and apparently it is also collected going in one direction only, so perhaps the point I made was already understood.

Same "round trip charge" here as you can see. No toll on the way out of the peninsula. So if you are driving from Palo Alto Tesla headquarters to Fremont Tesla factory across the Dumbarton, there is no toll. However, on the way back from Fremont to Palo Alto, they charge $5 before getting on the bridge. You can actually drive eastbound over the bridge and then go south until you reach the bottom of the bay and then go north on the west side to get back to the peninsula side without paying anything but that's pretty far.

I had tried mounting my small internal ezpass behind the nosecone and it wasn't very reliable. I ordered the external one, and mounted it in the same place and it's far more reliable. Not quite as good as the small on on the windshield of my wife's car. I go through the ezpass toll booths at the recommended speed (which is slower than it seems). Works 95% of the time.

Course if you want a good story about the craziness of ezpass.

Called to get the external one. They said they couldn't send me one because I already had 4 ezpasses (3 cars and 1 motorcycle). I would have to return one before they could ship me another. I was not allowed to have more than 4. I reminded them that when they swapped out 2 of them, they shipped me 2, (and for a few days) I had 6 and got a prepaid envelope and returned 2 old ones. Didn't matter, I wasn't allowed to have more than 4. I would have to ship one back, wait 5-10 business days for them to receive and process it and then they will ship out the external tag I wanted. I asked: What would happen if I lost one? She said "Well if you lost one we would send you a replacement immediately." I said "Ok.... then.... I lost one." (really coy) She said "Ok, then we will ship you one out immediately." I asked: "Can you send me a prepaid envelope?" She asked "Why?" I said "Just in case I happen to find that one I lost." "Ok, no problem". So in the end I got them to ship me one, and a prepaid envelope and returned the one I didn't want but she made me lie to her. WTF? Really?

SUCCESS - After 5 attempts I finally figured out what I needed to do - Order the outside Ez Pass and velcro it into the nosecone.
Apparently the small EZ Pass doesn't work because it is facing the wrong way and the signal reads inward. The exterior ez pass is built facing out.
I must caution folks not to put it near the autopilot (even on the sides). It definitively interferes.

SUCCESS - After 5 attempts I finally figured out what I needed to do - Order the outside Ez Pass and velcro it into the nosecone.
Apparently the small EZ Pass doesn't work because it is facing the wrong way and the signal reads inward. The exterior ez pass is built facing out. I must caution folks not to put it near the autopilot (even on the sides). It definitively interferes.

Congrats ... any photos?

I installed our 91 Express Lanes external transponder behind our nose cone with zip ties and it has worked flawlessly on both the 91 Express Lanes (SR 91) and The Toll Roads (SR 73). 91 Express Lanes required me to put our Tesla on a separate account to take advantage of their FREE use of 91 Express Lanes any time other than Eastbound 4-6 PM weekdays (for which you get 50% off).

More info here: California: Free 91/110/10 Express Lane Access

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
I'm in CA. I mounted mine behind the nose cone. But I have not actually been able to prove that it works. I registered my plate with FastPass before having the transponder and I simply get a charge on my card. Supposedly the thing beeps when I go through. But I can't hear it. And it never beeped when I held it out the window when I first got it. My account doesn't indicate how I am identified.

When you get your Fastrak statement, each line item will contain the transponder ID if it was read or the license plate if the tollgate had to scan the plate.

(For the record I ended up mounting on the rear liftgate glass.)

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
When you get your Fastrak statement, each line item will contain the transponder ID if it was read or the license plate if the tollgate had to scan the plate.

(For the record I ended up mounting on the rear liftgate glass.)

Bruce.

Thanks! I now know that tag is not working. But I don't really think I care if it is reading my plate. Are there situations where they cannot read my plate, such as the HOV lanes? Literally, the only two places I use it now are the Richmond SR and GG bridges when I visit family.

Thanks! I now know that tag is not working. But I don't really think I care if it is reading my plate. Are there situations where they cannot read my plate, such as the HOV lanes? Literally, the only two places I use it now are the Richmond SR and GG bridges when I visit family.
I think that the newer express lanes in the east bay where there are no cameras require a working transponder as well as places like the SFO airport parking.

i have mine mounted to the left of the Autopilot camera in the black dotted area, i have it in one of my other posts regarding ezpass.. for the Throggs Neck and Whitestone Bridges the trick is the approaching speed has to be slow, also there is another trick that i do now that has been working flawlessly. I tilt the ezpass at a 45 degree angle from the glass and the tolls read it easily for some odd reason, GWB is hit or miss for me....i just stick it outside the window, but 95% of the time with the 45 degree tilt it has been working.