Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass Mounting- Problem Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Tesla service center tech mounted my transponder on the black mesh to the right of the radar. It works about 70% of the time unless it is the MTA borough crossings, or Delaware/Maryland where it never seems to work. I've since moved to putting it inside my car to the right of the camera.

I was looking for a good place to mount my EZ Pass on my 2016 Model S. There were multiple threads here about the problems with the metallic windshield on the car. On my car, there is a black painted rectangular area immediately to the right of the rear view mirror mount. I used the smaller EZ Pass issued by the New Jersey EZ Pass Authority. I mounted it with velcro (just in case) as high on the windshield and as close to the mirror mount as possible, so I couldn't see it from the outside of the car. I mounted it vertically with the narrow tapered edge to the right. It works perfectly, and looks OK, too. I am not sure how many Tesla windshields were marketed with this "sweet spot", but this solution worked for me.

View attachment 172520

I mounted an exterior ez pass with wire ties to the lower part of my front bumper into the plastic mesh. It is out of sight, never been bothered by anyone and always is read properly. All you need is a few black wire ties. This has worked for me since 2015 without a glitch.

Attachments

• Tesla tag.jpg
    Tesla tag.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 193
  • Helpful
Reactions: David29
I mounted an exterior ez pass with wire ties to the lower part of my front bumper into the plastic mesh. It is out of sight, never been bothered by anyone and always is read properly. All you need is a few black wire ties. This has worked for me since 2015 without a glitch.
Wow great idea. My ez pass reads correctly about 10% of the time in my P85D. And I just had my windshield replaced. I’m going to request one of those today.

We're going on a road trip tomorrow where we'll have to pass through the Illinois toll roads. My in-laws have the MN EZPass transponder. Since we're traveling with them we're going to bring it in our S. But since we have a 2016 S with FSD it seems the windshield will block the signal. Since it's just a rare occurrence of traveling through Illinois maybe our best option is to just hold the EZPass transponder out an open window when going through toll areas. Would it work sitting on top of the parcel shelf at the back of the car?

Reviving this thread as I am having EzPass issues. My EzPass works fine on the overhead full speed scanners but almost never scans at the booths or "slow down" booths. I've even resorted to flailing it around in my hand outside my window and it only reads some of the time. I've gone through 3 different transponders and they ALL did the same thing, so I know it's not a bad transponder.

Usually it is mounted on the black spot behind the windshield next to the mirror but that never works there. I even tried a license plate one and no go.

Reviving this thread as I am having EzPass issues. My EzPass works fine on the overhead full speed scanners but almost never scans at the booths or "slow down" booths. I've even resorted to flailing it around in my hand outside my window and it only reads some of the time. I've gone through 3 different transponders and they ALL did the same thing, so I know it's not a bad transponder.

Usually it is mounted on the black spot behind the windshield next to the mirror but that never works there. I even tried a license plate one and no go.
We had similar issues with our EZ-Pass on a road trip in July 2022. We started with it in the door pocket on the driver's side. That has worked well in MN for our readers. In Illinois some processed that way and some didn't, about 50/50. In Indiana we tried with the window rolled down & holding it out the window like you describe, but that didn't work. Twice we had to have an employee take it inside the booth to scan it. For the rest of the trip we tried opening the sunroof & holding it out the sunroof. That seemed to work for the tolls in NY & Maine. It seemed that holding it like it would be mounted in the car, with the letters facing down toward the cabin worked better than holding it in another orientation. It's quite annoying that we had all these issues... and just the uncertainty of if it worked or not on many of the tolls where we didn't know if our account would be charged or if we'd get a bill & fine in the mail weeks later.

I was looking for a good place to mount my EZ Pass on my 2016 Model S. There were multiple threads here about the problems with the metallic windshield on the car. On my car, there is a black painted rectangular area immediately to the right of the rear view mirror mount. I used the smaller EZ Pass issued by the New Jersey EZ Pass Authority. I mounted it with velcro (just in case) as high on the windshield and as close to the mirror mount as possible, so I couldn't see it from the outside of the car. I mounted it vertically with the narrow tapered edge to the right. It works perfectly, and looks OK, too. I am not sure how many Tesla windshields were marketed with this "sweet spot", but this solution worked for me.

View attachment 172520
Numerous threads on this. I have mine mounted in my 2016 S in the middle bottom of the hatch window. Has always worked well when other locations (including the open area on front windshield) did not.

We had similar issues with our EZ-Pass on a road trip in July 2022. We started with it in the door pocket on the driver's side. That has worked well in MN for our readers. In Illinois some processed that way and some didn't, about 50/50. In Indiana we tried with the window rolled down & holding it out the window like you describe, but that didn't work. Twice we had to have an employee take it inside the booth to scan it. For the rest of the trip we tried opening the sunroof & holding it out the sunroof. That seemed to work for the tolls in NY & Maine. It seemed that holding it like it would be mounted in the car, with the letters facing down toward the cabin worked better than holding it in another orientation. It's quite annoying that we had all these issues... and just the uncertainty of if it worked or not on many of the tolls where we didn't know if our account would be charged or if we'd get a bill & fine in the mail weeks later.
Yea, it's so weird that holding it outside the car through the window or the sunroof doesn't always work. You would think that's about as good as it gets. Very frustrating. I might try mounting it to the rear hatch as people suggest but I do not have my hopes up when holding it out the friggin' window doesn't work. Next step is taping it to a selfie-stick and sticking it 4 ft in the air out the window.

Mine has been mounted in the curved black area next to the mirror ever since we got the car in 2015, and it has always worked well so far as I know. The only exception was a brief period when it turned out the battery in the device had become weak or died. They don't give a warning, they just stop working. So we replaced it and it has been fine since then, including in NY and NJ.
Our device is from Massachusetts. I wonder if the devices vary among states, or if the sensors on the highways/bridges etc vary somewhat.

Last edited:
Mine has been mounted in the curved black area next to the mirror ever since we got the car in 2015, and it has always worked well so far as I know. The only exception was a brief period when it turned out the battery in the device had become weak or died. They don't give a warning, they just stop working. So we replaced it and it has been fine since then, including in NY and NJ.
Our device is from Massachusetts. I wonder if the devices vary among states, or if the sensors on the highways/bridges etc vary somewhat.
They are different. The ones used in the mid-atlantic area are the small curved ones. They do not have a replaceable battery as far as I know so probably a weaker signal strength.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
They are different. The ones used in the mid-atlantic area are the small curved ones. They do not have a replaceable battery as far as I know so probably a weaker signal strength.
I did not mean to imply that my EasyPass device had a replaceable battery. In fact, I got an entirely new device, which was smaller than its predecessor.
The original device was used with what was then called "FastLane." I do not know if that was just the state's name or if it was the name used by the manufacturer of the technology.
My apologies for any confusion on that point.

Have you tried New Jersey? That's where the majority of my problems are and that is where I have mine mounted
Not in my Model S… my old M3 (same transponder) did not have an issue in NJ with it located next to the mirror. The transponders I have installed have a sliding switch that allows me to turn off the transponder in Virginia when I have more occupants (no charges)… I haven’t looked but probably has a battery.

Attachments

• 047D9B1F-72E0-43D3-BA4A-EB2AFC3E7CE2.jpeg
    047D9B1F-72E0-43D3-BA4A-EB2AFC3E7CE2.jpeg
    687.2 KB · Views: 67
(I posted this on another channel, but this seems better)

Hate to say it, but I think I'm a genius! This is where I landed on the topic.

1. Get a black EZ holder from Amazon.
2. Velcro it behind the inspection sticker (which in MA is in the lower right corner).

The result is nearly invisible from both inside and out. And when you get a new sticker, you just re-apply that side of the velcro.

Ta da ;-)

2023-11-07_15-22-37.png