Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass Mounting- Problem Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear that. I guess I should add YMMV... I've never had to contact Fastrak for any of my cars.

And I wouldn't either if I'm fine with my MS being charged as though I had the transponder set to position 1, but unless the transponder is read it won't read as position 3(3 person car pool or excempt EV etc).

So it's not that I'll get a toll violation for not having the transponder. That won't happen because my LP is on my account, but I can't get the bridge discount or the exemption without it.

Those two bridges-- the Triboro and Whitestone bridges have given me a few problems with my MS and windshield mounted Ezpass, but overall it's now working pretty well.

I have an older MS (non-AP) with the "black dots" area directly to the right of the rear-view mirror, and I get 100% EZpass reads everywhere else (incl the GW and TappanZee bridges).

But there is definitely something wrong with those two installations. I like the idea of a backup pass just in case.

Oh, and about a month ago I was driving north on the Henry Hudson parkway towards the small bridge toll there, and there was a grey Model S in front of me. He had to open his pano roof and hold out the EZpass to get through. Geeze, I thought, we have the most advanced automobile on the planet, but it forces some owners to do this silly little dance just to pay an *electronic* toll? It makes Teslas look really bad to everyone else who has to see that. Good thing it was summer time, I'd hate to be that guy in a heavy rain or in the winter with sub-zero temps.

LOL I did that about a month ago with my grey MS at that toll going north bound. :). Luckily, they removed the barrier and have a generic green toll processed on the south bound side. I'll see if

I was not able to get it to work in the black painted area next to the autopilot camera until today. I used an external mounted ez pass here in Massachusetts today keeping it next to that painted area and it worked. My wife held it in place.

I think one of my ez passes is actually a "fast lane" pass and is at least 8 years old. I'll try my wife's newer shorter form ez pass in that area to see if it works.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
That is totally not true. I have to weekly contact fastrak to remind them that they charged me a fee from my fastrak account from the license plate of my Model s that is ON my account even though they know it has clean air stickers on file with DMV.

What I have discovered is that if the transponder reads just once at any of the points along fastrak zone, then I won't get charged at all the other points on the same road where the transponder didn't read, so after I enter the lane, I have to open the roof and shove the transponder out for just one of the readers and it doesn't matter which one.

Sorry to hear that. I guess I should add YMMV... I've never had to contact Fastrak for any of my cars.

I've not been erroneously charged either. I did contact FasTrack when I first transferred my transponder to the Tesla, and they acknowledged a problem with Tesla and put it on some manual list as it was described. It's set to 3 in the slight chance the signal is picked up, but I've not had to haggle over inappropriate fees at all......and I've been up/down the state across multiple tolling jurisdictions.

This is how the guy described it to me.........When the FastTrak camera picks-up your plate without a corresponding transponder signal, it triggers a fee to your account (or soon by mail plus a penalty if you have no account at all) because the system is programmed to the rules "transponder must be with the car", (not at home, in another car etc.). Unless you are manually placed on the exception "list", it's is not auto-cross checked with any other allowable scenario. It's simply, you were in the HOV with no transponder present so KA-Ching.

FastTrak currently does not know or police every HOV sticker which is issued by DMV. They know only because we tell them but it's the make/model in their system which triggers an exemption to those EV free tollways while charging us for all others. (HOV stickers allow us in all HOV lanes but not all HOV lanes are free to us) The physical stickers matter only to CHP, because short of knowing every exempted make/model, they can't monitor non carpoolers in the HOV lane. The DMV also cares as its a source of $24 plus all the fines issued by CHP for not having stickers.

FastTrak is an independently contracted company missioned now with collecting tolls only. Try calling them separate from a mischarge and ask if there is a better way to handle this. Its a real shame if you have to do this weekly.

This messy execution is why CA needs to replace the entire HOV mechanism with either exempted EV plates or improved technology.

I've not been erroneously charged either. I did contact FasTrack when I first transferred my transponder to the Tesla, and they acknowledged a problem with Tesla and put it on some manual list as it was described. It's set to 3 in the slight chance the signal is picked up, but I've not had to haggle over inappropriate fees at all......and I've been up/down the state across multiple tolling jurisdictions.

This is how the guy described it to me.........When the FastTrak camera picks-up your plate without a corresponding transponder signal, it triggers a fee to your account (or soon by mail plus a penalty if you have no account at all) because the system is programmed to the rules "transponder must be with the car", (not at home, in another car etc.). Unless you are manually placed on the exception "list", it's is not auto-cross checked with any other allowable scenario. It's simply, you were in the HOV with no transponder present so KA-Ching.

FastTrak currently does not know or police every HOV sticker which is issued by DMV. They know only because we tell them but it's the make/model in their system which triggers an exemption to those EV free tollways while charging us for all others. (HOV stickers allow us in all HOV lanes but not all HOV lanes are free to us) The physical stickers matter only to CHP, because short of knowing every exempted make/model, they can't monitor non carpoolers in the HOV lane. The DMV also cares as its a source of $24 plus all the fines issued by CHP for not having stickers.

FastTrak is an independently contracted company missioned now with collecting tolls only. Try calling them separate from a mischarge and ask if there is a better way to handle this. Its a real shame if you have to do this weekly.

This messy execution is why CA needs to replace the entire HOV mechanism with either exempted EV plates or improved technology.

I'm clearly not on the exception list. Yes, they know my car is a Tesla and they always reverse the fees when I contact them. The explanation your were given is not the same as I was given. I was told that unless the transponder picks up position 2 or 3 that my account will be charged since they have no way of knowing it's a BEV(even though they know it's a Tesla Model S).

It happens to me on the new 580 express lane. Haven't had it happen in any other fastrak lane.

I'm clearly not on the exception list. Yes, they know my car is a Tesla and they always reverse the fees when I contact them. The explanation your were given is not the same as I was given. I was told that unless the transponder picks up position 2 or 3 that my account will be charged since they have no way of knowing it's a BEV(even though they know it's a Tesla Model S).

It happens to me on the new 580 express lane. Haven't had it happen in any other fastrak lane.

That's lousy and week after week.....maybe they are testing new tech on 580 and something better will come along.

One last thought, and I don't know how it works up there. I used to use OC TollRoads FastTrak transponders and then LA Metro stepped up first with the switching transponders. Very friendly and helpful explaining how they handle Teslas, so I closed my OC account and opened one with LA Metro. Maybe you can call another tolling jurisdiction up there and see if there is someone on the ball with a workaround.

There does not seem to be a consistent mechanism or process but with all those Tesla's up there you'd think someone has it figured out.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I think I've got a reliable solution for the Model S (new nose), at least with ez pass in the Chicago area. I've mounted an external (license plate) transponder directly under the front bumper where it can't be seen easily. I live in Michigan where front plates are not required and didn't like the looks of that front bracket. So far this has worked 100% of the time and doesn't detract from the cars appearance.

I apologize if someone already said this but I personally use the license plate mounted EZ Pass. Asthetically it looks great and it always works.

Yeah, someone did mentioned that before... Some of my issues are self inflicted since I do not want to install the front plate. However, I believe someone earlier mentioned that they have a problem on the triboro or other MTA crossing in and around NYC with the front-plate mounted tag. Certain crossings have the arm that only opens with the tag registers. Have you had any issues? I got a few red light "Call EZ-PASS" issues with a front mounted tag on a P85 I borrowed a few times but there were able to look up the license pate and charge the correct toll retroactively. I hope that I'll stop receiving violation notices in the mail now that I've confirmed my car is indeed registered with EZ-Pass and maybe, just maybe, the tag will work most of the time sitting where the OP placed theirs.

Yeah, someone did mentioned that before... Some of my issues are self inflicted since I do not want to install the front plate. However, I believe someone earlier mentioned that they have a problem on the triboro or other MTA crossing in and around NYC with the front-plate mounted tag. Certain crossings have the arm that only opens with the tag registers. Have you had any issues? I got a few red light "Call EZ-PASS" issues with a front mounted tag on a P85 I borrowed a few times but there were able to look up the license pate and charge the correct toll retroactively. I hope that I'll stop receiving violation notices in the mail now that I've confirmed my car is indeed registered with EZ-Pass and maybe, just maybe, the tag will work most of the time sitting where the OP placed theirs.
Nope. I frequently travel between NY and NJ and I have had no problems- even with the gate toll booths. Maybe a defective tag on the P85?

View attachment 193108 View attachment 193109 I think I've got a reliable solution for the Model S (new nose), at least with ez pass in the Chicago area. I've mounted an external (license plate) transponder directly under the front bumper where it can't be seen easily. I live in Michigan where front plates are not required and didn't like the looks of that front bracket. So far this has worked 100% of the time and doesn't detract from the cars appearance.
Looks great!

Nope. I frequently travel between NY and NJ and I have had no problems- even with the gate toll booths. Maybe a defective tag on the P85?

That might be the case.

So the short EZ pass did not work this afternoon. I tried the painted portion and just below it. The only tag that seems to work in the windshield is the external tag.

I'll check to see if the tag will work parallel to the top of the windshield covering the painted area next to the autopilot camera. If that works I'll just mount the external tag there.

The reports of AutoPilot/Radar interfering with the FasTrak/EZ Pass are BS. Also, the same holds true for the reverse; the AP does not interfere with pass reading. The AP radar is millimeter wave (> 70ghz) directional, and low power, whereas most electronic toll systems use 915mhz. The toll collection antennas are also directional and usually off-axis by at least 45 degrees.

If you want to use an internal tag externally, just put in a plastic bag open at the bottom and secure it to some part of the fascia away from metal. Make sure the antenna faces out. (Usually velcro side forward not the other way around.) Sticking an internal transponder to metal will likely cause it to not work.

It's definitely possible to put a transponder in a model X or refresh S, but you have to take the front apart somewhat to do it. Put it as high up as possible to get the best chance of it being read.

Today checking on another problem with my S, a mechanic mounted my external tag on the passenger side in the black mesh below the bumper. I hope to test it this weekend and have this issue behind me.

They did again mention that the autopilot radar in the black mesh area "interferes" with the rfid in the ez pass by preventing the tag to speak with the toll booth transmitter. If this fix works I'll take their word for it.

Today checking on another problem with my S, a mechanic mounted my external tag on the passenger side in the black mesh below the bumper. I hope to test it this weekend and have this issue behind me.

They did again mention that the autopilot radar in the black mesh area "interferes" with the rfid in the ez pass by preventing the tag to speak with the toll booth transmitter. If this fix works I'll take their word for it.
If the radar in the mesh interferes with it, then why would they mount it so close to it? The area around there is all plastic and thus transparent to RF.

If you mount it in front of the radar, the AP will stop working, but other than that, it's not going to cause any problems. The issue with it not being read is because the toll booth antennas are overhead and shoot downwards. If they are mounted too close to the hood or metal bumper that will attenuate the signal. I think the best place is in the middle of the nosecone attached to it's plastic (not the metal bumper) with the antenna facing out (or up).

Tesla techs are not engineers, and most appear to have only a basic understanding of the stuff they work on. The diagnostics and back end service information Tesla service engineering provides to them is really well done which makes it easy to do their job. All they need to do is follow instructions and be somewhat mechanically inclined. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but it's been proven here that they will say almost anything with authority even though it's incorrect.

If the radar in the mesh interferes with it, then why would they mount it so close to it? The area around there is all plastic and thus transparent to RF.

If you mount it in front of the radar, the AP will stop working, but other than that, it's not going to cause any problems. The issue with it not being read is because the toll booth antennas are overhead and shoot downwards. If they are mounted too close to the hood or metal bumper that will attenuate the signal. I think the best place is in the middle of the nosecone attached to it's plastic (not the metal bumper) with the antenna facing out (or up).

Tesla techs are not engineers, and most appear to have only a basic understanding of the stuff they work on. The diagnostics and back end service information Tesla service engineering provides to them is really well done which makes it easy to do their job. All they need to do is follow instructions and be somewhat mechanically inclined. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but it's been proven here that they will say almost anything with authority even though it's incorrect.

Thanks for this. So many techs have said different things with authority but have rarely discussed in depth why. I really did not want to focus on the techs knowledge but on what is actually correct.

At least the tag is black and matches the mesh. Again, if it works I'll move on.

In Northern California, velcro-ing the interior white FasTrak transponder under the rear parcel shelf works pretty well on the bridges. Haven't tried in the SFO parking lot yet. Anyone try this method other states' or even SoCal's EZPass/FasTrak systems or in the refreshed S? It's so well hidden there.
I had the license-plate E-ZPass transponder first (and that worked well), but decided to try this solution and have been very happy with it. Used it successfully on toll roads and bridges in MD, PA, and NY (where I often got the message to call E-ZPass as I drove through, but it must have worked anyway because the transaction showed up in my account).

Reactions: Lanny