Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass Mounting- Problem Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recommend you spray paint your EZ Pass black. I did it and it looks much better and works great. Take a piece of tape and place it over the bar code first then do it. Peel off the tape and install.

I did exactly this on two of my older-style EZPass (NY/NJ Port Authority version).. taped over the bar code, got some black spray paint, and painted them black, then removed the tape. They looked great in the windshield, well, you really couldn't see them at all, much better than the huge white tags the way they normally look.

Until EZpass sent me a note, it was time to swap out these two passes for the newer smaller style EZPasses, so I sent them both in. EZPass dinged me with a $38 fine for EACH pass, saying they were permanently "defaced" and unable to be reused/recycled once they replace the internal batteries. I tried fighting it, but it's right there in the contract. They had my credit card, so the choice was either ditch EZPass all together and fight the charges with through CC company, or just pay the fines.

So if you do something like this, be sure to use some sort of water based or totally removable paint. Come to think of it now, maybe black Plastidip spray would be the way to do.

I was looking for a good place to mount my EZ Pass on my 2016 Model S. There were multiple threads here about the problems with the metallic windshield on the car. On my car, there is a black painted rectangular area immediately to the right of the rear view mirror mount. I used the smaller EZ Pass issued by the New Jersey EZ Pass Authority. I mounted it with velcro (just in case) as high on the windshield and as close to the mirror mount as possible, so I couldn't see it from the outside of the car. I mounted it vertically with the narrow tapered edge to the right. It works perfectly, and looks OK, too. I am not sure how many Tesla windshields were marketed with this "sweet spot", but this solution worked for me.

View attachment 172520
I understand why the the vertical mount may not always work. After reviewing the responses and problems I found a mention that the the EZ Pass transmit signal (from the toll booth) was horizontally polarized. My guess would be that the booth is expecting similar signal orientation in response. Therefore mounting the EZ Pass transponder vertically may not be as effective as mounting the EZ pass horizontally. However! thanks to another responder who ripped open a small EZ pass you can see that the internal antenna is located on the right side of the device which, when mounted right-side-up, does not line up cleanly with the blacked out portion of the windshield. The solution is to mount the EZ Pass upside down. This lines up the internal antenna perfectly with the RF Free part of the windshield and in the correct orientation. I have been to Buffalo and back and throughout Pennsylvania and this mounting works perfectly.

I did exactly this on two of my older-style EZPass (NY/NJ Port Authority version).. taped over the bar code, got some black spray paint, and painted them black, then removed the tape. They looked great in the windshield, well, you really couldn't see them at all, much better than the huge white tags the way they normally look.

Until EZpass sent me a note, it was time to swap out these two passes for the newer smaller style EZPasses, so I sent them both in. EZPass dinged me with a $38 fine for EACH pass, saying they were permanently "defaced" and unable to be reused/recycled once they replace the internal batteries. I tried fighting it, but it's right there in the contract. They had my credit card, so the choice was either ditch EZPass all together and fight the charges with through CC company, or just pay the fines.

So if you do something like this, be sure to use some sort of water based or totally removable paint. Come to think of it now, maybe black Plastidip spray would be the way to do.

I use black vinyl electrical tape to black out our FasTrak transponders.

I understand why the the vertical mount may not always work. After reviewing the responses and problems I found a mention that the the EZ Pass transmit signal (from the toll booth) was horizontally polarized. My guess would be that the booth is expecting similar signal orientation in response. Therefore mounting the EZ Pass transponder vertically may not be as effective as mounting the EZ pass horizontally. However! thanks to another responder who ripped open a small EZ pass you can see that the internal antenna is located on the right side of the device which, when mounted right-side-up, does not line up cleanly with the blacked out portion of the windshield. The solution is to mount the EZ Pass upside down. This lines up the internal antenna perfectly with the RF Free part of the windshield and in the correct orientation. I have been to Buffalo and back and throughout Pennsylvania and this mounting works perfectly.

^^^ THIS. Finally found a solution that seems to be working! Thanks for posting this, I was getting tired of sticking my arm out of the sunroof!

Sure, here it is - mounted upside down, about an inch from the top of the windscreen and right against the mirror housing. So far this worked for me in a few different toll booths on the NYS Thruway. Upside down appears to be key as mentioned above. YMMV

Attachments

• IMG_6188.png
    IMG_6188.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,788
  • Informative
Reactions: wesley888

New Hampshire must not care. In fact I reported my last one lost and they sent me a new one for less than $9 and said nothing about me losing it.

Also in PA and I've had my MS for about a month. Has not worked once vertically. Will try the horizontal approach today. I've been holding mine up until I find the solution but not sure if that really matters.

I'm near @fallen888 recently got the new smaller ezpass and have it mounted just like he does. Took a trip up the Northeast extension of 476 yesterday and it worked just fine.

Reactions: fallen888
In the latest version of the owner's manual, that appeared in My Tesla for a few days before disappearing, the following section as added on page 157:

"Using RFID Transponders

Model S has a metallic coating on the
windshield that can interfere with signals sent
from RFID transponders used by many toll
systems. Most Model S vehicles, depending on
date of manufacture, include an area in the
windshield in which the metallic coating is cut
out to accommodate transponders. This area,
located on the right side of the rear view
mirror, is the best location to mount an
transponder. If your vehicle does not include
this cut out area, mount the transponder to
the rear window.
Note: You can also attach a weather-proof
transponder on the front license plate or
behind the nose cone (for details on how to
remove the nose cone, see Instructions for
Transporters on page 172)."

This also appears in the in-car manual in the "Parts and Accessories Maintenance" section.

This thread mentioned placing it under the parcel shelf, and it should be clear that if it works from there, it would work from the back window. There are a couple of other advantages to keeping it in the back window. California Vehicle code 23302 says "the device shall be located in or on the vehicle in a location so as to be visible for the purpose of enforcement" and I assume other states have similar laws. If it's placed at the top of the back window, the transponder can't be seen through the rear view mirror or when looking over your shoulder. So it's the visually least intrusive place, it won't get in the way if you need to move the parcel shelf, and on the off chance that you get pulled over, it's probably legal.

An external transponder was never a solution for me, since I need the FasTrak Flex.

• Informative
Reactions: Soolim and Reekdog
View attachment 193108 View attachment 193109 I think I've got a reliable solution for the Model S (new nose), at least with ez pass in the Chicago area. I've mounted an external (license plate) transponder directly under the front bumper where it can't be seen easily. I live in Michigan where front plates are not required and didn't like the looks of that front bracket. So far this has worked 100% of the time and doesn't detract from the cars appearance.

This is great, and what I was planning on doing until I realized the LP reader isn't wide enough to use the holes from the bracket. Did you drill those holes (or one of them?) yourself?

Is it still working 100%? What about at airports? DFW airport is notoriously fickle.

Thanks in advance!

In the latest version of the owner's manual, that appeared in My Tesla for a few days before disappearing, the following section as added on page 157:

"Using RFID Transponders

Model S has a metallic coating on the
windshield that can interfere with signals sent
from RFID transponders used by many toll
systems. Most Model S vehicles, depending on
date of manufacture, include an area in the
windshield in which the metallic coating is cut
out to accommodate transponders. This area,
located on the right side of the rear view
mirror, is the best location to mount an
transponder. If your vehicle does not include
this cut out area, mount the transponder to
the rear window.
Note: You can also attach a weather-proof
transponder on the front license plate or
behind the nose cone (for details on how to
remove the nose cone, see Instructions for
Transporters on page 172)."

This also appears in the in-car manual in the "Parts and Accessories Maintenance" section.

This thread mentioned placing it under the parcel shelf, and it should be clear that if it works from there, it would work from the back window. There are a couple of other advantages to keeping it in the back window. California Vehicle code 23302 says "the device shall be located in or on the vehicle in a location so as to be visible for the purpose of enforcement" and I assume other states have similar laws. If it's placed at the top of the back window, the transponder can't be seen through the rear view mirror or when looking over your shoulder. So it's the visually least intrusive place, it won't get in the way if you need to move the parcel shelf, and on the off chance that you get pulled over, it's probably legal.

An external transponder was never a solution for me, since I need the FasTrak Flex.
Has Tesla ever said why they have to have that %$&^$ metal coating on the Model S? The Model X seems to survive fine without it.