TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EZ Pass placement for bumper refresh (no front plate)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by peteyswift, Feb 14, 2017.

1. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a bit of a redundant question: I have an April 2015-build P85D and am thinking of getting one of the aftermarket bumper refresh fascias from Unplugged Performance or TSportline. It's been a while, but I recall there being an issue with EZ Pass placement on the windshield for Model Ss built around the time mine was, as far as not being able to transmit, thus it was recommended then to use the front license plate transponder. However, I would consider not installing a front plate bracket on the new bumper, so my question: does anyone know of any tricks for getting the EZ Pass to work without using the front plate transponder (ie windshield placement), for that build range?

Thanks for any help.

2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I have read in various threads that some people have successfully mounted them in the hatch area.

3. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

On mine isn't in the corner next to the camera housing (passenger side of the cameras). Works 100% of the time.

4. sabertooth

sabertooth Member

I have new MS with refreshed bumper... i dont have a front plate as well. So installed the transponder at the grill trim beside the fog light using tie wraps.. it works perfect. I can upload a pic later today when i get home

5. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

Thanks guys, please do post pics. I found this thread which was very helpful: EZ Pass Mounting- Problem Solved

Looks like for the same build range (early 2015), mounting the transponder under the parcel shelf (or perhaps rear windshield), or upside down horizontally oriented to the right of the front camera housing works. Will see!

6. sabertooth

sabertooth Member

If you are using the tolltag sticker (not the black solid transponder) checkout this black patch made by one if tesla owner
    Toll Tag vinyl overlay for exterior mounting

7. sabertooth

sabertooth Member

Here is the pic

Attached Files: