Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass placement (NY/NJ area)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I tried searching for "EZ Pass" with limited success. I picked up my MS about a month ago, absolutely love the car! One not so minor issue is that I have yet to figure out a good place to put a EZ pass tag. I tried an interior tag on the winshield behind the black spot - to the right of the rear view mirror, that didn't work. Than I tried an external tag double side taped on the metal cross member behind the nose cone (if I'm looking at the car, it was on the right hand side), that didn't work either. I need it to work for the turnpike, parkway, NY/NJ crossings and occasionally NYC bridges. Any suggestions would be helpful. My last option would be black zip tied to the lower left of the front of the car, as my local Tesla store recommended. It's ugly, but not as ugly as a licence plate and the tag! :(
Thanks!

I am in NJ. EZ Pass tag has worked every time . I have it in the black spot next to the rear view mirror. This is the smaller transponder issued, I think they changed this many years ago. Is your transponder old with possibly depleted batteries. Ill post a picture a little later if you are interested.

I had mine mounted in the nosecone, the NYC bridges/tunnels could be problematic at all other places it worked fine. Is you plate on file? even if the tag doesn't read they will check the pic and if it is on file they won't send a violation.

Some people say an upside down interior transponder may work better.
Have you seen this thread?
EZPass not reading, getting hit with MAX TOLL per instance

Thanks for the link, I did not see that posting before, I'll have to give it a try.

My ezpass is the smaller unit, I just opened the account, so the tags are new. I went through NJ turnpike tolls 2 times without it reading and they charged me based on my plate. 1 time I got a $50 fine, but that may be because of the temporary plate I had on the car. I called and told them I have an ezpass account and they waived the fee.
Hope it works upside down next to the mirror, will report back if it does or not.
Thanks!

Thanks for the link, I did not see that posting before, I'll have to give it a try.

My ezpass is the smaller unit, I just opened the account, so the tags are new. I went through NJ turnpike tolls 2 times without it reading and they charged me based on my plate. 1 time I got a $50 fine, but that may be because of the temporary plate I had on the car. I called and told them I have an ezpass account and they waived the fee.
Hope it works upside down next to the mirror, will report back if it does or not.
Thanks!
I am in exact same situation. Picked up my Model S this week from Paramus, NJ SC and struggling with various positions for ez pass. I haven't tried the external ones yet.
What did you decide to do with front plates ? Did you put it ?

You have to get a special transponder that is designed to mount above your front license plate. This is a relatively bulky and ugly piece of hardware. However, they work great when mounted behind the nosecone. There are many places in this site describing how to do this yourself, or you can get the Service Center to do it for you.

I am in exact same situation. Picked up my Model S this week from Paramus, NJ SC and struggling with various positions for ez pass. I haven't tried the external ones yet.
What did you decide to do with front plates ? Did you put it ?

I'm going without the plates for now. I'll see how it goes, it's been about a month.

Yes, I have the external transponder, just trying to see if there are any alternatives to mounting that ugly thing on the outside of my car. Will be trying the position next to the mirror again tomorrow.

Finally, I was able to get the internal EZ pass to work when it was held in the black spot next to the mirror! It was held upside down and horizontally with half of he tag in the black part and half outside of it. I was quite surprised when it worked.
Thanks for the replies!

Can you post a pic please. I recently picked up a CPO in NJ and cant figure out the ezpass. I even installed it in the nosecone and still doesnt read.

Thank you

Finally, I was able to get the internal EZ pass to work when it was held in the black spot next to the mirror! It was held upside down and horizontally with half of he tag in the black part and half outside of it. I was quite surprised when it worked.
Thanks for the replies!