TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

EZ Pass Placement on AP2 cars - NY/NJ

Discussion in 'Model S' started by wesley888, Dec 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wesley888

wesley888 Member

#1 wesley888, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    I asked the DS when I got my cars few weeks ago where I can place the E-ZPass since the dark shade area on the wind shield is gone. He told me that the E-ZPass issue has been resolved. We should be able to put the E-ZPass right next to the 3 cameras.

I finally got a chance to try it today with the normal (shorter/newer) white color E-ZPass attached right behind the rear view mirror next to the 3 cameras. Drove from L.I., took the Throgs Neck Bridge, Tappan Zee bridge, and quite a few NYS Thruway tolls. On my way back, more NYS Thruway tolls, went through George Washington Bridge, and then Tri-boro (RFK) Bridge. Some with stop-gate, some 5 mph ones, some 25 mph ones, and some very fast ones (65 mph?). All without a hitch! :)

• Informative x 3
  2. miken79

miken79 Member

That's great news! I wasn't looking forward to having an external reader.

3. luckyj

luckyj Member

You just reminded me that I meant to post about my EZ Pass. I got my car 2.5 weeks ago, AP2 HW, drove from VA to NJ. Like you, I had no issues with it being read while mounted just to the right of the front cams on the windshield.

• Like x 1
  4. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

Where did you put it exactly? Driver or passenger side of the rear view mirror? A picture would be wonderful :)

5. wesley888

wesley888 Member

Passenger side, but according to the DS, anyway is fine on the AP2 car now.

The black tube thingy is a rear view Blackvue camera attached on to it. :)

IMG_20161229_112441.JPG

6. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

Thank you for the wonderful photo. Ill be mounting my radar detector in that location. Lets hope it actually works properly!

7. wesley888

wesley888 Member

Doesn't our car actively sending out radar signal? Wouldn't it confuse the radar detector?

8. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

This is very useful info for toll-passes and for dashcams (getting a reliable GPS connection); thank you.

You have a rear-facing camera there; what sort of view do you get from it - I should have thought the rear headrest would get in the way and the view through the tailgate is narrow anyway.

9. wesley888

wesley888 Member

You can see a bit on the side and a bit through the tailgate, but it's really more for the interior view.

I was going to have another standalone Blackvue mounting in the back. I didn't want to route a long cable all the way around the car.

upload_2017-1-6_14-31-53.png

10. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

Good pic; thank you. Spy-in-the-cab camera - everyone has to behave!

I see that you're not showing speed; do you not have that option turned on or is there no GPS signal? And where is your forward-facing camera - behind the mirror?

• Like x 1
  11. simplesolid

simplesolid Model S 60 AP2 Glass Roof

Personally I don't think this is a good use of the rearview camera, you can route the wire yourself it took me like 10 minutes and I never done anything like it before.

Something to consider.

12. wesley888

wesley888 Member

#12 wesley888, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    You got the idea! That's exactly what I want it to be, a spy-in-the-cab camera, since my daughter JUST got her learning permit. :)

The forward-facing camera is behind the mirror. I positioned it so that I don't see it at all at the driver seat.

Regarding GPS, I just didn't want the speed showing on the video, for obvious reason. ;) . I can still get the speed info from the Blackvue app anyway.

As you can see in the picture, I got full bars on GPS signal, 80 mph, GPS coordinates, everything. :)

upload_2017-1-7_9-31-34.png

upload_2017-1-7_9-46-55.png

Attached Files:

13. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

Yes, that's what's usually done when the camera is at the back; I want to install one myself when the new car comes. Did you push it through the headlining?

Our new car will have the glass roof like yours; are you pleased with it?

14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

GULP!! :eek: You'd let your child with a learner's permit drive a new Tesla? Yikes.

I don't even let my wife drive my car (unless absolutely necessary).

• Funny x 1
  15. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

You're letting a learner drive a Tesla? Brave man! Valet mode? Good use of a camera, though.

Thanks for the new pics. It seems much easier to get GPS with the latest cars, which apparently do not have the coating on the windscreen of the older cars. The BV viewer gives a lot of info, doesn't it; and My Way is a great addition.

16. wesley888

wesley888 Member

I let her try different cars so she has some experience with them. She started off with a stick shift, but she drive a normal SUV most of the time.