TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

EZ-Pass Problems

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by NavySWO, Sep 13, 2017.

1. NavySWO

NavySWO Member

My windshield-mounted EZ-Pass transponder isn't registering when I pass through toll stations. EZ-Pass has been manually charging my account and told me if I don't fix this, they would start charging me a fee (in addition to the normal toll amount). I admit I may have brought this upon myself by tinting the windshield with an IR-blocking film which still transmits 75% light.
    ....on a side note - decided on the windshield tint after a few road trips when I felt the A/C was having a hard time keeping the interior cool. LOVE IT!

The EZ-Pass folks said I could get a license plate mounted transponder because they've seen this problem (with the windshield units) on Teslas. My car is registered in FL (can get away with that while living in Va Beach because I'm active duty Navy) so I don't have a front license plate, and I'm concerned a transponder on the rear plate wouldn't work because the rear hatch could shield the transponder from the sensor as I drive under it at a toll station.

Anyone have a similar issue? Anyone using a plate-mounted transponder on the rear plate?

2. Darren Schilberg

Mount it at the base of the Rear window (it doesn't have any coating). I have not had any issues since I've moved mine there.

As a bonus, the middle headrest blocks the transponder so I never see it in the Rearview mirror.

3. blake6551

blake6551 Member

I'm having this same issue. Put photosync 75 on my X windshield a month back and the transponder doenst work at all now. I've been holding it out the window for the time being, LOL.

I was thinking about a plate mount transponder as well.

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Tons of threads on this... What car do you have? According to the manual, X's should have the EZpass in the back of the top part of the windshield, S's should have a clear spot to the right of the rearview mirror. Recent ones aren't supposed to have restrictions on the windshield at all. Many use license plate mounted ones, some put the windshield units in the frunk (but that doesn't work well for tunnel gantries, seems to work well for the normal highway ones...).

Yeah, for best results, it should be front accessible, either overhead, windshield, or frunk (through the bumper). It's a lot of YMMV, too.

• Like x 1
  5. MMC-

MMC- S70D Refresh > S75D. "MADE ON EARTH BY HUMANS"

Do you have a sun or glass roof?

Try it there.

6. blake6551

blake6551 Member

Interesting idea. I have Photosync on all my windows, wonder if this would work. Maybe there is a spot they left cutout.

7. SureValla

SureValla Member

wow really this works? I thought EZpass was very specific that it had to be on the front windshield but I could be assuming something incorrect here.

Can you still see the green light flash indicating it registered if its on the back?

8. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

The only solution to our 91 Express Lanes transponder on our 2015 Model S P85D was mounting a license plate transponder behind our front bumper with zip ties. Works perfectly on both 91 Express Lanes and FasTrak toll roads in CA... and the 91 Express Lanes are FREE for EV's during most hours. :cool:

9. NavySWO

NavySWO Member

Thanks for the tip about other threads on this topic. I'll check them out. I tinted all windows with the IR-reduction film so mounting on the rear window may not be effective. Didn't think about the panoramic roof though. Didn't tint that.

10. MMC-

MMC- S70D Refresh > S75D. "MADE ON EARTH BY HUMANS"

Try the front of the rear panoramic panel. That's where mine is...

• Like x 1
  11. DarrenK

DarrenK Member

It's definitely your aftermarket tint. My 2017 X has no issues with my ez-pass on the front windshield just below the camera.

Why not ask your installer to remove a small square to hanf the ez-pass in that spot? Also, mine is mounted in a small clear plastic box I got at Bed bath and Beyond that has suction cups. Really easy to move it around both in the car, and to other cars, like a service loaner.

Good luck!

P.S. My wife was a SWO! Very cool, and thanks for your service!

• Like x 2
  12. NavySWO

NavySWO Member

Checked out the other threads on this. Discovered the reason for the small blacked out portion of the windshield on the passenger side of the rear view mirror as BOATERVA mentioned above - for placement of stuff like toll transponders. I don't use the EZ-Pass often, but I'll report back the next time I use it at that spot on the windshield. Other threads indicated that's THE spot to put it (problematic with mounting behind nosecone). It's either there or the panoramic roof since I tinted the back window as well.

13. PA70D

PA70D Member

Have a two year old model S and mounted the EZPass transponder in the nose cone works very well except when there is a build up of ice. A bumper mount on the new model cars should also work.

14. jacobp

jacobp Member

I have a license plate transponder mounted on the bumper inside the front nosecone. It used to work. But then stopped. I thought the battery died, so I got a new one and it also does not work. I'm wondering why?

15. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

keep trying different locations around the rear view mirror (see other threads for pictures of where others found it to work) and different orientations (mine works best upside down) and different transponders.

16. NavySWO

NavySWO Member

From what I've read in the other threads, the best position and orientation seem to be horizontal upside down transponder against the passenger side of the rearview mirror over the small black section of the windshield. I'll mount it like that and post after I use the EZ-Pass.

17. DarrenK

DarrenK Member

I keep mine directly behind the rear-view mirror, under the camera. Works fine. Currently driving a loaner 2016 X (a very nice P90DL!) with the old windshield (lots of ghosting) and have the ez-pass in the same spot and it works fine.

18. David.85D

David.85D Member

Wish the nose cone position worked better. I tried two different ways under the nose cone and kept getting the grumpy notices from EZPass. Finally mounted it on the front license plate. Looks crappy, but..,

19. NavySWO

NavySWO Member

My windshield doesn't have the IR reducing tint. Had to replace the windshield due to crack from rock which impacted it near the edge. It was replaced with an OEM Tesla windshield.

Tried two different orientations with the new windshield with no luck.
    -- vertical transponder over the black patch on the passenger side of the camera/rearview mirror. A very small portion of the bottom of the transponder sticks below the black patch.
    -- upside down horizontal transponder at top of windshield against the camera/rearview mirror; tried this because another thread said the transponder antenna is in the right side so I put the antenna over the black patch next to the camera/rearview mirror.

I'll next try the transponder against the rear section of panoramic roof as someone else recommended.
    ......very frustrating

20. DarrenK

DarrenK Member

This location works on the loaner I'm in and my own vehicle

Attached Files: